Talk

Advanced search

Does Maggie need a full name?

(31 Posts)
FlipFlippingFlippers Wed 17-Dec-14 18:20:59

I like it on its own. I really don't like Margaret ( ex mil ) Any suggestions?

rita68 Wed 17-Dec-14 18:23:17

I think it does need a full name. I'm not keen on Margaret, but Magdalena, or just Magda, are nice.

FlipFlippingFlippers Wed 17-Dec-14 18:27:00

Magda is the only other alternative I could think of. Dh says in his mind it's the name of a rather stern and stout older lady hmm he does like Maggie though

MehsMum Wed 17-Dec-14 18:28:47

I'd always go for the full name. Gives the bearer more options when they hit adulthood.

OHolyShite Wed 17-Dec-14 18:30:24

No it doesn't.

Only on MN do people get het up about DCs having 'High Court judge' names.

The times are changing and nicknames as full names are just fine .

Maggie is wonderful btw smile .

RunnerHasbeen Wed 17-Dec-14 18:30:56

I knew a Megan who went by Maggie, if that doesn't seem odd (having a shorter full name).

threepiecesuite Wed 17-Dec-14 18:37:46

I think Margaret is due a comeback. My DM was one of 6 in her class (in 1960)!

PotatoesPastaAndBread Wed 17-Dec-14 18:48:06

It doesn't. It's a name in its own right. And it is lovely.

CakeSnow Wed 17-Dec-14 18:49:56

Simpsons and thatcher

delilahrose2014 Wed 17-Dec-14 18:58:50

I think it's gorgeous as just Maggie

mummybare Wed 17-Dec-14 19:00:17

Margot? Or Magenta if you're feeling brave...

SageSeymour Wed 17-Dec-14 19:03:18

It's a MN myth that you need ' more options when you're older' .. Err why?! You are your name, end of.

If you like it, use it.

LittleBearPad Wed 17-Dec-14 19:05:33

Magdalene is pretty if you want to avoid margaret.

WhatsGoingOnEh Wed 17-Dec-14 19:07:37

Maggie is really a very sweet name but usually I disagree* with using nicknames as "full" names.

My son Harry was christened Henry and I can't imagine a time ever when he'll use that name. Except getting married. So does it matter if Maggie is "technically" a Magaret or a Magdalena? Or Could you give her a longer name like... Er... Magnolia? Madrigal? Magaluf?!

* I even sniffed (secretly) when my neighbours christened their son Monty instead of Montgomery. I'm strict.

missmakesstuff Wed 17-Dec-14 19:10:17

No please don't use Maggie want to still be a bit different... Oh go on then, if you have to, our Maggie is Margaret, it's my mil name and my grans, so it had meaning, neither used it in fact, one went by her middle name anemone is Peggy. we liked having the option for her later to choose from all of the nicknames, even if I don't get where some come from, like pearl for example! There's meg, mags, Greta, Margie etc. We never use Margaret, she's always Maggie, and it suits her brilliantly. Sometimes I wonder if we should have bothered with the Margaret bit, but it's just the choice. Most people wouldn't realise she isn't just Maggie.

You have excellent taste by the way wink

We are struggling to find a boys name as good now actually....

missmakesstuff Wed 17-Dec-14 19:15:23

Oh and cakesnow, we make a joke of the Thatcher thing, she was breech. 'The baby's not for turning'

And our Maggie is at school now, no-one has ever mentioned Simpsons or Thatcher. It's going to be ancient history eventually. You make your own connections with a name, that'll never change, but I've always associated it with a cool, slightly quirky person.
Considers Bartholomew as a name
discounts it as would have to have another and call her Lisa

ChickenMe Wed 17-Dec-14 19:39:12

Magdalena is the best long version imo. Margarita? Is it too much like the drink?
Marguerite?
Look on Wikipedia - they have the name Margaret as used in other countries.

ChickenMe Wed 17-Dec-14 19:41:30

I meant if you don't like actual Margaret-I think its quite cool for a little girl.

BlackberryandNettle Wed 17-Dec-14 19:42:11

Marigold is gorgeous and could be Maggie!

NeedaDiscoNap Wed 17-Dec-14 19:46:16

I think Maggie is lovely by itself. It's what someone very special in my life is called and thus I only associate it with her, not Thatcher or Simpson.

I don't understand why people on Mumsnet are obsessed with giving a 'proper' name if the child will always be known by a different version.

anothergenericname Wed 17-Dec-14 19:47:14

Marguerite is nice too...

NotWithoutMyMerkin Wed 17-Dec-14 19:49:10

We committed the sin of giving a nickname as a name. Mostly because my husband doesn't like the full name. Whilst her name (the nickname version) was my choice there is a part of me that wishes we had given her the full proper version

Maggie is lovely though

DishwasherDogs Wed 17-Dec-14 19:55:17

I have a Maggie. It's not short for anything.
She is often complimented on her name. No-one has ever mentioned The Simpsons or Thatcher in over 12 years apart from on MN

Gorgeous name smile

AmITwirly Wed 17-Dec-14 19:59:54

I would always assume that Maggie was short for something. Margaret is a bit harsh on the ears I think, but Marguerite is softer.

Margot and Meghan could also be the full name for a Maggie I think.

FlipFlippingFlippers Fri 19-Dec-14 15:57:32

Thanks everyone, I'm loving Margot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now