Talk

Advanced search

a boy's name and a place name...

(17 Posts)
acharmofgoldfinches Wed 17-Dec-14 13:02:46

Baby is due in the Spring, and we have always loved a particular boy's name - let's say it's Leigh. BUT we have recently moved house, and the village next-but-one is called Leigh...

We do still like the name, my DH especially, but I am concerned that we're setting the poor kid up - the teasing potential isn't enormous, but it could get very, very boring...but then again it could just be me over-thinking it?

NaiceNickname Wed 17-Dec-14 13:22:34

Could you spell it differently? If you love the name then use it, chances are he won't live there his whole life wink

TheCowThatLaughs Wed 17-Dec-14 13:27:19

It's why I could never call a child Ashton. It would definitely result in teasing where I live!

PlumpingUpPartridge Wed 17-Dec-14 13:27:26

It's not Chester is it?

I go to Chester often and a friend named her son Chester. It does amuse me tbh!

moxon Wed 17-Dec-14 14:02:22

Upper Slaughter or Lower Slaughter are not great names. Choose Bob instead.

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 17-Dec-14 14:26:33

Are children from that village likely to be at school with him? If it's a quite common boys name I might go ahead anyway, but something like Lester from Leicester I might not. I doubt it'd be nasty teasing, but like you say, might get quite annoying.

acharmofgoldfinches Wed 17-Dec-14 15:01:47

Bob is definitely better than Lower Slaughter, I agree grin!

Unfortunately you can't spell it differently, and no, it isn't Chester...part of the issue is that where we live is a very rural area without a big town so villages have more "status" if you get my drift, and yes he would be at school - possibly his whole school life - with children from that village. But I take the point that he may not live here forever.

The name is also not used very frequently (it's nothing outlandish, just an old name) so it will already stick out a bit...sorry to be so mysterious, not intentional just it really is a small community round here, and I could very easily out myself!

I will see if I can persuade DH to think of it as a middle name instead.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 17-Dec-14 17:07:06

I think you are just going to have to move.... grin

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 17-Dec-14 17:08:40

I've said this before, but we moved to a new area when our boys were 4 and 3 only to find they both have names that are local roundabouts.....what are the odds on that!

HomeyIDrankTheBeer Wed 17-Dec-14 17:17:56

Next village along from us is called <DS'name> Downs - he doesn't care, no one has ever mentioned it to us, we don't care. Two others at school with same name too.

I did apply for him to go to the primary school there, its the closest as the crow flies, but he didn't get in just due to more applicants living closer.

<wonders if she is not too far from TheCowThatLaughs>

Cockadoodledooo Wed 17-Dec-14 17:45:51

I don't think I'd have even thought about the connection, doubt many children would either.

I take issue with 'can't be spelled any other way' though, have you seen some of the spellings on the bizarre names threads?! wink

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 18-Dec-14 05:32:02

Homey, I don't think so, the something downs doesn't sound familiar, I'm in NW England smile

acharmofgoldfinches Thu 18-Dec-14 09:05:39

That's it then, the house is on the market in the new year!

Roundabouts is impressive though, ammunition there for a whole new game of one-upmanship...and I will see what I can do with a hyphen and a couple of extra vowels...

Good to hear "don't be daft" as well; this baby has been a long, long time coming, and I think this may be my first foray into pfb - bring it on grin

HomeyIDrankTheBeer Thu 18-Dec-14 09:59:38

Ah TheCow I am in SW, and theres a little village near me called Ashton too wink I did consider it as a name for my DS.

Goldfinches honestly it will be fine, and when he has grown and spread his wings, his name will probably always make him think of home wink

myotherusernameisbetter Thu 18-Dec-14 11:04:24

They also each have a street smile

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 18-Dec-14 11:59:23

It depends what the place is like too I think wink

KraggleLego Thu 18-Dec-14 12:10:25

There is a little boy near me called Lincoln and I love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now