Talk

Advanced search

Baby girl arriving in 2 weeks - struggling!

(25 Posts)
CocobearSqueeze Wed 10-Dec-14 23:43:14

DH can't seem to even think of any names. I am really frustrated. He is choosing from my list but even then, he's not choosing any of my top names.

I really love the name Verity for our DD.
From our list he likes Clara, but I think Clara is more of a middle name

His choices - more or less according to preference
Clara
Margot
Evie
Sylvie
Beatrice

My choices
Verity
Astrid
Clara
Alanis
Margot

I think Evie, Sylvie, Clara and probably Astrid work better as middle names not first names. What do you think? We need a first name and middle name. Any other suggestions? DH had originally suggested Amy which I vetoed - it's also somebody in his family which is a definite No No! and Holly, again absolutely not. Help please. Any other suggestions welcome.

Allalonenow Wed 10-Dec-14 23:58:49

I like
Verity
Astrid
Clara
Sylvie
Best from your lists, Evie is hugely popular, as is Clara. Like you I'm not keen on Amy.

Verity Astrid has a good ring to it.

holeinmyheart Thu 11-Dec-14 00:04:15

I have a very unusual name as my parents were immigrants. Although from a European country. I therefore named all my children simple English names. However they all get shortened and it is really annoying.
Beatrice will get shortened to B etc. Margot is nice but she will get Marg. I like Evie as no one can do much to that. What about Evelyn and then it will get shortened to Evie.

manicinsomniac Thu 11-Dec-14 00:06:33

I love Verity and Astrid. Think they sound lovely either way around.

I also like Clara and Alanis from your list.

How about:
Arwen, Anya, Ayla, Aria, April, Ariel, Ariana, Alannah, Bethan, Bryony, Cora, Coral, Cara, Ciara, Carys, Cerys, Delilah, Dana, Erica, Esther, Elsa, Elise, Fiona, Fern, Faye, Giselle, Hebe, Harmony, Iona, Iris, Ivy, Isis, Juliet, Jemima, Karina, Lillian, Lucia, Lydia, Laurel, Miriam, Melody, Nadia, Nyah, Nia, Orla, Quinn, Rosa, Romy, Romilly, Serena, Saskia, Sabrina, Tara, Tessa, Thea, Veda, Willa, Zara, Zia.

wigglylines Thu 11-Dec-14 01:17:07

Ramona

EmilyGilmore Thu 11-Dec-14 01:40:31

Allalonenow is Clara "hugely popular"? It was well out of the top 100 girls names of last year and I've never met one confused Perhaps they all live on your street.

Love it though.

EmilyGilmore Thu 11-Dec-14 01:42:32

Don't you have to go with a name that appears on both your lists? That gives you Clara and Margot.

bouncingbelle Thu 11-Dec-14 04:04:22

Clara is gorgeous, too nice to be just a middle name!

Lily?
Matilda?
Naomi?
Fern?

BikeRunSki Thu 11-Dec-14 04:16:44

Margot is on both your lists, so surely that's the name?

baskingseals Thu 11-Dec-14 04:47:23

Love Clara, Margot and Astrid, very classy names, definitely suitable as first names.

What about

Honor

Stella

Lois

Rita

SurfsUp1 Thu 11-Dec-14 08:29:01

Ok, so I think you need to focus on the first name first, so get rid of any on your list that you only like as a middle name. Those details can come later.

From you list I live Clara and Margot (Maggie).

Some suggestions:

Rosanna
Rachel
Harriet
Charlotte
Alice
Eliza

CocobearSqueeze Thu 11-Dec-14 21:46:28

Ok will discuss these suggestions again tonight and see if there's any progress - thank you

ChestyNutRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 12-Dec-14 00:00:45

Clara is lovely.

wadjet78 Fri 12-Dec-14 00:55:58

Clara is really nice.

sleepywombat Fri 12-Dec-14 05:00:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepywombat Fri 12-Dec-14 05:01:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CocobearSqueeze Fri 12-Dec-14 11:54:44

OK, DH says he really likes Clara.

Yorkshirelassreturns Fri 12-Dec-14 18:44:20

Clara is nice but I really love Verity as it's so much more unique. I think Clara must be getting popular as it crops up loads on here. Personally I wouldn't pick a name just because it appears on both of your lists unless you really love it. Congratulations- let us know what you decide x

pilates Fri 12-Dec-14 18:52:27

Clara is very nice.

Clara Verity sounds even nicer.

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 12-Dec-14 21:00:47

I love Clara, IMO much nicer than Verity.

Clara Verity is nice though.

I also like Margot, but prefer Clara.

iamthedivergentbuddytheelf Sat 13-Dec-14 15:32:34

Clara is lovely.

Very popular here, think due to Dr Who

Tweediewalker Sat 13-Dec-14 22:07:14

I love Clara and Verity but Clara seems the obvious choice as it's on both your lists smile x

HoHonutty Sat 13-Dec-14 22:11:51

Beatty or Martha.

I prefer Lara to Clara and don't mind Verity but went to school with one who insisted in being called Itty.

Mutteroo Sat 13-Dec-14 22:25:47

Love Clara but also have a soft spot for Verity as its unusual. I've known two Veritys, both now adults and both delightful ladies.

Really really really do not like Margot!

CocobearSqueeze Sat 13-Dec-14 22:42:22

Oh I don't watch Dr Who so never knew about Clara from there . . . now I'm worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now