Talk

Advanced search

Are there going to be loads of baby "Anna"s?

(34 Posts)
SquattingNeville Wed 10-Dec-14 14:53:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

loislines Wed 10-Dec-14 15:00:14

I prefer Anna to Hannah for some reason. Not watched frozen (am I the only one in the country?!) so I don't know the characters. Surely the hype will die down as soon as the next Disney film comes along?

floatyflo Wed 10-Dec-14 15:18:18

Surely the hype will die down as soon as the next Disney film comes along?

Yeah Frozen 2 which is apparently due out next March grin

Love Anna, dislike Hannah.

Go with what you love and forget any popular culture reference. I especially wouldn't worry if you plan to pronounce it Aa-na and not Ar-name like the film.

floatyflo Wed 10-Dec-14 15:18:55

Ar-na not Ar-name!

Sophronia Wed 10-Dec-14 15:22:30

I haven't seen Frozen either, but I much prefer Anna to Hannah. Anna Jane would be lovely.

SquattingNeville Wed 10-Dec-14 15:31:07

I have an Anna - she's 9. When we named her it seemed to hit the perfect balance of being a classic name, strong but pretty, a "rwal" name but not at all common, wouldn't be 2 in her class but wouldn't have to spell it out or raise eyebrows, international so easy for family from other parts of Europe. ..

Then when she was 19 months old we moved abroad, and from not having met another baby or child Anna in the UK we discovered we had moved in next door to one 6 months older than DD, there is one 2 years older about 200 meters down the road, and an Anna-Lena opposite her, only 3 weeks older than our DD. There is also a Hannah in her class at school, along with Anna from next door...

Go with the name you love, you cannot second guess what will become popular!

shakemysilliesout Wed 10-Dec-14 16:40:37

I like both names. I feel Anna was a strong enough name before the frozen thing to not have that immediate association. Unlike other film names. Like I wouldn't choose Ariel or Olaf- I hadn't heard these names before their films and I would always think mermaid/ snowman.

There are probably a load of baby olafs somewhere cursing frozen!!!

shakemysilliesout Wed 10-Dec-14 16:43:06

Regarding popularity I don't think it will be the next Isla.

Dogsmom Thu 11-Dec-14 21:11:52

I think Frozen will make it less popular because of people worrying it will become too popular and so won't use it.

Riverland Thu 11-Dec-14 21:14:53

Anna is lovely!

Dislike the name Hannah.

I think it's having a resurgence of popularity, and rightly so.

MamaLazarou Thu 11-Dec-14 22:57:43

Anna is lovely as long as it isn't pronounced 'Arna'.

ReginaBlitz Thu 11-Dec-14 23:25:42

The frozen name is pronounced arna though so dont see the issue?

thecaroline Fri 12-Dec-14 02:30:19

I think Anna is too well-known and classic to be affected by Frozen. It's not flashy or unusual enough to be a trend name, I don't think. I don't think it'll gain popularity. I love Anna. It's beautiful. I'd name my daughter Anna.

RedToothBrush Fri 12-Dec-14 10:29:39

Yes, I'd put money on it shooting up in popularity for alot of reasons. Not just because of the Frozen connection.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 11:58:02

Anna is already pretty popular. I just looked it up and was surprised it was only 69 in the ONS chart because I know at least one in most settings I'm involved in (the pre-school, DD1's year at school, a playgroup, etc). Maybe it clusters in certain areas. I'd have put it top 20 at least.

SquattingNeville Fri 12-Dec-14 13:47:38

SquattingNeville Fri 12-Dec-14 13:48:03

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 12-Dec-14 15:31:17

I'm bucking the trend and saying I much prefer Hannah to Anna - Anna is fine but a little plain for me, where as Hannah seems to be a bit more interesting!

DuelingFanjo Fri 12-Dec-14 15:32:24

I haven't noticed a rise in Anna, but Alice seems really popular as does Emily and Isla.

LBOCS Fri 12-Dec-14 15:35:34

They've always been popular. There were 5 girls called Hannah in my year at school (I'm 29) and I know at least three 25 year olds called Anna. I think they're classic rather than faddy, despite Frozen.

MarjorieMelon Fri 12-Dec-14 15:38:32

I prefer Hannah, it's always been a name that I like. I've never been keen on Anna although everyone seems to like it. I prefer Annie or Anne.

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:41:08

Anna is just fine. Don't see it being that influenced by a movie.

bluebelle2662 Sun 14-Dec-14 22:53:55

I'm an Anna. I constantly get asked "Anna with an a?" Argh. Obviously! I dislike Hannah because it's boring, but then I don't like my name either, mostly because people never get it right, despite it being relatively common.

If you pronounce it Anna not Onna, then you're safe from the Frozen connection.

munchkin2902 Sun 28-Dec-14 10:20:28

We called our daughter Anna after it not even coming up as an option during our pre baby discussions! It just looked right. But being in our thirties with no other children we had no idea about the frozen thing - we only realised the other day when we saw it on sky! Am really hoping people don't think we called her Anna because of that confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now