Talk

Advanced search

Boy names to go with Tristan

(31 Posts)
shellbyville Wed 10-Dec-14 10:04:04

Due DS2 in Feb and really struggling with names for a boy. I LOVE Tristan and that is my DS1's name. But what can match the awesomeness of that name, I ask thee all???

Anyway, on the "agreed potentials" list is Elias, Laurence and potentially Lowen (another Cornish name to go with Tristan).

Names that have been vetoed by DH (sob) are Jago and Miles. Apparently Miles is a dog's name but he can't actually give me any examples of dogs with that name... he still won't allow it!

Any thoughts welcome fsmile

Ham69 Wed 10-Dec-14 10:39:20

Love Laurence.
Milo?
Alistair

peggylane Wed 10-Dec-14 11:13:04

We've got a Tristan (LOVE the name, too!!!) and on our short list of boys names for DC2 were: Rowan and Evan. Really like Elias from your list and have never heard of Lowen but it's growing on me. Not so keen on Laurence but I've got a female French friend called Laurence (pronounced differently) so that would put me off.

SquirrelledAway Wed 10-Dec-14 12:58:26

Theo?

hashtagwhatever Wed 10-Dec-14 13:03:49

Cassius
Fabian

bluewisteria Wed 10-Dec-14 13:22:17

I think Lowan is brilliant next to Tristan. It's kind of a dark horse, just like younger siblings!
I think they are brilliant, go with your instincts.
Out if interest what are nicknames for both those name?

Riverland Wed 10-Dec-14 13:35:48

Lowen is good, as is Lowell.

Lawrence is a favourite of mine, as is Tristan.

I don't care for Elias at all, sorry.

I think Lowen as a name has sufficient stature and rarity to stand up to older brother Tristan!

shellbyville Wed 10-Dec-14 14:04:05

Hmm interesting thoughts, thank you folks. I know a Milo, really like it though can't use it as too close a friend. And DH has an irrational dislike of Theo (which I also love!)

Rowan is nice actually, will make all of these suggestions later and see what the reaction is!

We don't have a nickname for Tristan, though the girls at his nursery call him Tris. Which I don't mind but I don't shorten it myself. Not sure how I'd shorten any of the names apart from Laurence to Laurie (but then I want to say "driver" after it, so probably wouldn't shorten it!)

Any other suggestions welcome, but thanks so far!

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Dec-14 14:18:35

Conrad

patienceisvirtuous Wed 10-Dec-14 14:28:16

Jude?

thesaurusgirl Wed 10-Dec-14 15:13:09

Laurence or Lawrence
Arthur (keeping your West Country connection)
Peter (such a great name this, why is no one called Peter any more?)
Niall
Edmund

thesaurusgirl Wed 10-Dec-14 15:14:57

Just thought of another: Rory.

I think names ending in -o (Milo, Arlo, Cosmo, Hugo) are very faddy ATM and will date.

TheWave Wed 10-Dec-14 15:17:52

Marius
Marcus
Gilbert
Julian

Stealthpolarbear Wed 10-Dec-14 15:50:15

Ds is tristan. dd would have been Arthur (doesn't work with our surname) or dylan

TheScenicRoute Wed 10-Dec-14 19:38:49

My son in the oven will be called Laurence, cracking name, I also had Tristan on my list. Miles is more of a posh butlers name than a dog to me (my cat was called Miles, you gave great taste in names!)

Nellyinwellies Wed 10-Dec-14 19:38:57

Our list was similar to yours, with Tristan, Elias and Miles. We also had Alexander, Hector, Angus and Max.

Izzy24 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:43:06

Pity he doesn't like Jago. What a brilliant name .

Bowlersarm Wed 10-Dec-14 19:47:51

Lysander
Leo
Alexander
Otto
Lucas

shellbyville Wed 10-Dec-14 20:50:17

Thanks all, loving Jude and Rory, and Otto actually has grown on us the more we think about it!

Izzy I am miffed he doesn't like Jago, I think it's so cool.

Peter would sound really funny with our surname, agree it's underused though and would actually sound really nice with Tristan!

DramaAlpaca Wed 10-Dec-14 21:03:31

I came on the thread to suggest Laurence/Lawrence, which was my immediate thought, and also Lowell, which has also been mentioned. Rory would go very well too.

I love your name choices, OP, including the ones your DH doesn't like!

PomPomPingPong Thu 11-Dec-14 10:17:41

Lorne

moxon Thu 11-Dec-14 11:52:39

Has to be Willoughby, I'm afraid. Tristan and Willoughby. Yip. That's it. We can close down this thread now. Congrats, OP, on little Willoughby! smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 11-Dec-14 11:55:41

Lawrence is my favourite boys name but DH didnt like it, so we ended up using another name (very similar to Tristan).

So I would say Lawrence from your list, but initially reading your OP title, I thought Elliot

Tristan and Elliot.

shellbyville Thu 11-Dec-14 13:30:52

Wow, Willoughby! The dashing suitor from Sense and Sensibility! I could go for that, let me see what the reaction is from the man who makes the decision (but doesn't actually have to give birth. Hmmm)

Elliot could work as well, again let me see what the reaction is...

momb Thu 11-Dec-14 13:35:06

Seigfried

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now