Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on our shortlist

(11 Posts)
LovedandLoyal Tue 09-Dec-14 23:02:45

We have finally narrowed down our list and I would like to know others opinions on them. Me & DH like quite classic names smile

Girl:
Hattie Rose
Edith Florence
Lavinia Rose

Boy:
Charlie Joseph
Oscar Joseph
Archie Winston

winkywinkola Tue 09-Dec-14 23:07:03

Well, I think they all sound good.

I like Edith Florence (but Florence Edith better) and Oscar Joseph best.

I don't understand though, why parents don't give their dcs the choice of full name vs nn i.e. Charles and a.k.a. Charlie. The nn can be dominant but when they become Prime Minister they can then have the gravity of their given name.

Stella29 Tue 09-Dec-14 23:14:07

Lavinia Rose and Oscar Joseph are beautiful names x

LovedandLoyal Wed 10-Dec-14 10:55:14

DH seems to like Oscar Joseph best. We already have an Oliver but I don't think it matters if we have two boys starting with O right? Maybe I am just being weird about that.

Kind of hoping its a girl as it seems so much easier this time round to think of a girls name! grin

LovedandLoyal Wed 10-Dec-14 10:59:40

I kind of see what you mean winkola but those names Charlie and Archie have been around as a full name for a very long time. I looked back to the 1900's top 100 smile I have noticed on mumsnet that quite a few people don't like boys names with "ie" at the end. I just don't see myself with a Charles or Archibald.

EeekNumber4 Wed 10-Dec-14 12:23:54

I think they are all lovely except for Lavinia, just not keen on that name as it reminds me of a fuddy-duddy 50 something!

matchingmoll Wed 10-Dec-14 13:41:45

I like Oscar Joseph (although better the other way round) and Hattie Rose best. Edith is nice, but not with Florence.
Dislike Charlie on account of tweeness and although Lavinia is pretty, it makes me think of what happens to Lavinia in Titus Andronicus.

WhatWouldBlairWaldorfDo Wed 10-Dec-14 13:46:37

I love Hattie! Though i may be biased as my friend has just had a Hattie Grace smile
I love Charlie but would prefer Charles personally

Sophronia Wed 10-Dec-14 14:23:24

Lavinia Rose or Oscar Joseph. I'd love to see Lavinia used. Edith Florence is nice too, but are both quite trendy/popular. Hattie, Charlie and Archie are too nicknamey for me. I prefer Hattie short for Harriet or Henrietta.

Bobby1234 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:38:54

Charlie or Hattie xx

itsnothingoriginal Wed 10-Dec-14 20:49:09

I love your girls list -Lavinia is possibly my favourite at a push smile

Whereas I like your boys names I'm just finding there to be so many Charlie's, Archies and Oscars around that I can't get enthusiastic about them any more - sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now