Talk

Advanced search

Mary Elizabeth will be called Marielle perhaps but is that the best way to spell Marielle?

(11 Posts)
Mary2015 Tue 09-Dec-14 19:50:46

M friend is wondering how she should spell Marielle. It will be pronounced MarryELL. Is marielle a well-known name.

TheNewStatesman Tue 09-Dec-14 23:21:03

I don't think it's a common nn, but that is how I would pronounce and spell it, yes.

YouGrateMyCheese Wed 10-Dec-14 00:19:11

If she wants it pronounced Mary-ELLE, than yes, I would spell it that way. A truly beautiful name - she's made a great choice. I've yet to meet one.

Chimpola Thu 11-Dec-14 14:01:15

Yes, Marielle I think would be the only way that you'd get that pron. I worked with one years ago, same spelling. She was french

squoosh Thu 11-Dec-14 14:38:23

Why the Mary Elizabeth if she's going to be known as Marielle?

Ludways Thu 11-Dec-14 14:48:24

An American friend has a very lovely16 yo dd called Marielle, it's simply her name, not a nn for anything else.

ArsenicStew Sun 14-Dec-14 06:38:27

Yes, what squoosh asked.

I don't get it. Marielle as a nn/ diminutive for Mary Elizabeth??

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 14-Dec-14 09:30:01

I don't get this "her real name is going to be X, but we're going to call her Y" either. The worst one I heard was "She's going to be Mary Elizabeth, but we're going to call her Melanie or Melly." Why not just call her Melanie then? confused

Perhaps it is just the Mary Elizabeth combo that does this to people? grin

Mrsindecision Sun 14-Dec-14 10:04:53

Marielle is the French form of Marie which is another form of Mary so there is a proper link. Hardly unusual to use nicknames for other names - Teddy for Edward, Peggy/Daisy/Marnie etc for Margaret on so on. Fwiw, I think Marielle is a great name - absolutely lovely in it's own right and fine as a diminutive form of Mary if that's what your friend would prefer.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 14-Dec-14 10:07:46

To me it is way too close to the phrase "raise Mary hell" to use as a name.

Mrsindecision Sun 14-Dec-14 11:52:32

*its

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now