Talk

Advanced search

Looking for constructive feedback about our chosen names please. X

(27 Posts)
TheScenicRoute Mon 08-Dec-14 23:47:07

Hi everyone, please be kind to us here.

We have already chosen our names, however we are not announcing it to friends and family and so have had no constructive feed back.

We are not asking you to pass comment on if you like our choices, however we would be very grateful if you could look over the names and see if there is anything glaringly obvious that we have missed that would make our choice a mistake, I'd hate to lumber our children with a life long burden!!!

Our surname is double barrelled D (two syllables) and W (three syllables)

Rose Eleanor D-W....initials REDW
And
Laurence Thurlow D-W....initials LTDW

(Eleanor is my OHs Grans name, and Thurlow is a little known old English name which also happens to be my great and my great great grandads name)

grandmary Tue 09-Dec-14 00:28:09

I am pretty well up on names . Nice names .No probs.Go for it.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Tue 09-Dec-14 00:33:56

Lovely names.

Riverland Tue 09-Dec-14 00:34:26

Nil problems, mucho ...ok I've run out if spanishisms. Very nice!

catsofa Tue 09-Dec-14 00:37:05

Both look fine to me. I also happen to like them, but I know you didn't ask smile. Thurlow is great, never heard it before.

Madamecastafiore Tue 09-Dec-14 00:37:27

No, unless you count being called Larry a burden (I do!)

catsofa Tue 09-Dec-14 01:03:43

Larry? I think it would be automatically shortened to Laurie, which is lovely.

TheScenicRoute Tue 09-Dec-14 07:02:19

Hi madam, yeah I also hate Larry!! It will definately be Laurier from us and family, and I suspect as a teenager that will become 'Loz' or 'lozza' by friends which I also don't particularly like but is such a short period of his life and boys always get nicknames out of your control. Larry- bloody awful but we'll definately be on top of anyone that we know who uses that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's very much appreciated. X

TheScenicRoute Tue 09-Dec-14 07:03:58

* arghh! Blummin autocorrect!! That should have read Laurie ....not Laurier!!!

LizzieMint Tue 09-Dec-14 07:05:54

The only Laurence I know is called Larry by everyone.
Other than that, lovely names!

Bowchickawowow Tue 09-Dec-14 07:07:15

I know 3 Laurence's that are known as Loz...all in their 30s! It started as teenagers and then stuck! So you may have to get used to it for beyond the teen years smile

Bowchickawowow Tue 09-Dec-14 07:07:55

Actually, that's a lie, one of them is known as Laz.

CPtart Tue 09-Dec-14 07:22:38

Laurence is great. Thurlow not to my taste but I get the meaning.
Rose I would avoid like the plague due to its sheer popularity. Eleanor is lovely in its entirety.
My only thought was that REDW immediately made me think of Red Witch, the alcohol concoctions in a pint glass I used to drink as a student!

Medibeagle Tue 09-Dec-14 07:27:07

Thurlow was Cromwell's spymaster. Great name!

TheScenicRoute Tue 09-Dec-14 07:29:50

Thanks guys. OK.... Although Rose is a well known name but I didn't realise it was a particularly popular name, when I look at the top baby names lists it never features! Do those of you in Schools and Nurseries know a lot of Roses?

I also love Eleanor, I like Ellen but I loath Elle which has prevented us using this as a first name. Confused.com.

shakemysilliesout Tue 09-Dec-14 09:08:14

Great names. Loads of girls have middle name rose but not first name. Flower names are back at the moment.

PunkAssMoFo Tue 09-Dec-14 09:12:55

No problem with any of those names.

I too was going to mention the increasing popularity of rose/Rosie. I know of quite a few atm, it's definitely climbing the ranks.

Hakluyt Tue 09-Dec-14 09:14:08

I love them both. We had a very old family friend called Thurlow- he had an exciting life being a gaucho and all sorts of stuff.......so good associations for me too. Probably would have been your great grandfather's generation....wouldn't it be weird if he was the same person............

AuntieStella Tue 09-Dec-14 09:16:54

Both sound fine.

I know one Laurence who became Lolly (based slightly older sibling's mispronunciation) and it stuck.

Medibeagle Tue 09-Dec-14 11:52:14

I would be tempted to go for Eleanor Rose with Rose as a given name, not sure why just that it sounds right smile

Aelfrida Tue 09-Dec-14 12:57:15

Beautiful names! Rose is more well used as a middle name than a first name in my experience. Go for it!

Bananice Tue 09-Dec-14 14:44:47

I have a newborn Eleanor Rose, so I love your girls name! I also had Laurence in my possible list for a boy. Eleanor was very nearly Rose Eleanor, but I have had two friends have a Rose/Rosie in the last couple of months and I know a few other toddler Rosies, so changed to avoid anything too popular. I dislike Ellie too: at the moment we call her either Eleanor or Nell

TimefIies Tue 09-Dec-14 14:48:58

Both names sound lovely - great choices grin)

itsnothingoriginal Tue 09-Dec-14 18:23:07

Great choices!

My Laurence is always known as Laurie smile

I didn't think Rose was hugely popular? I know quite a few girls with Rose as a mn but not a first name. It's very pretty and goes well with Eleanor.

florascotia Tue 09-Dec-14 18:55:16

Just the stats:

In 2013 in England and Wales:
Ella = 16
Elle = 43
Rosie = 48
Eleanor = 57
Rose = 69

www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-318125

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now