Talk

Advanced search

Kai - boys' name

(33 Posts)
nataliekristin Mon 08-Dec-14 09:12:38

Hi all

what do you think of the name Kai for a boy? middle name would be James.

x

zaracharlotte Mon 08-Dec-14 09:13:47

Rooney sad

LittleBairn Mon 08-Dec-14 10:32:55

I really don't like it. I have a cousin named Kai aged 10 and I still think its the type of name you give a dog.

Bluestocking Mon 08-Dec-14 10:35:52

I really don't like it. I know a very sweet one in his early teens and it just doesn't sound like a proper name to me. Sorry.

WowserBowser Mon 08-Dec-14 10:37:06

I really don't like it.

I remember years and years ago reading that Daniella Westbrook looked at her Kookai bag and thought - hmm, Kai is a nice name.

I think she invented it. Tru fact.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 08-Dec-14 10:37:46

I really don't like it and have met some truly dreadful Kai's

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 08-Dec-14 10:38:26

no she didnt invent it, it is a Danish name, best reserved for middle names or pet dogs.

WowserBowser Mon 08-Dec-14 10:39:24

That was a joke Sunny ...

Beangarda Mon 08-Dec-14 10:43:45

I don't like it, sorry. It says 'slightly downmarket C-list celeb trying to be trendy/yoonique' to me, despite the fact there seem to be rather a lot of Kais around these days. And I do realise it's a real name elsewhere, but those are my present-day UK associations with the name.

burgatroyd Mon 08-Dec-14 11:21:31

wowser so wish that had been true fgrin

Its not a very nice name. It sounds like a bird caw.

Bobby1234 Mon 08-Dec-14 11:27:36

Not fond sorry x

FrogGreen Mon 08-Dec-14 11:33:58

I like it, I know a lovely man called Kai, in his early 40s, he's not from UK and nothing to do with footballers or handbags. I don't know if his parents were hippieswink

Bowlersarm Mon 08-Dec-14 11:37:49

I like it, but would never use it for all the reasons above.

espa Mon 08-Dec-14 12:15:40

I know a 26 year old Kai, who is lovely but the only one I ever encountered growing up. If you like it, use it although it does seem to be more popular these days with the Rooneys...

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Wed 10-Dec-14 06:45:56

Don't love it.

ilikepie Wed 10-Dec-14 06:51:06

Don't like it, it is supposed to be edgy and kool but just comes across as try hard.

madwomanbackintheattic Wed 10-Dec-14 06:52:11

I know three dogs called Kai and fortunately no children. If the rooneys have one, that's an even bigger reason to avoid it like the very plague.

GnomieGrace Wed 10-Dec-14 07:25:39

I love Kai! I also like the less usual spelling of Kye, actually I prefer Kye!

nslw Wed 10-Dec-14 07:27:15

Chavvy name I'm afraid!

TanteRose Wed 10-Dec-14 07:30:26

I like it - and it has lots of great meanings!

The name Kai /ˈkaɪ/ has various origins and meanings in different cultures:

In Ancient Greek, Kai (και) is a conjunction meaning "and"
In Basque, Kai is a common word meaning "pier of a harbour" and a variant of the first name Kaio (from the old Latin name Caius)
In Burmese, Kai means "strong" or "unbreakable"
In Chinese, Kai is a common given name with one of several meanings, most often "victory" (凯)
In Cornish, Kai means "dog", and is often used as a dog name
In Estonian, Kai is a female name meaning "pier"
In Finnish, Kai is a common male name, Finnish form of Kaj. The term "kai" also means "probably" in Finnish
In Hawaiian, Kai means "ocean" or "ocean water"
In Hmong, Kai is a male name that is sometimes spelled Kha
In Japanese, Kai has a number of meanings, including "ocean" (海), "shell" (貝), "restoration" and "recovery." [1][2]
In Māori, Kai means "food"
In Navajo, Kai means willow tree.
In North Germanic languages, Kai means "keeper of the keys; earth". In Germanic languages, Kai means "quay" or "safe harbor"
In Scottish, Kai means "fire"
In Swahilli, Kai means "loveable", and is given to a baby girl.
In Tagalog, Kai is an abbreviated version of the word "kaibigan", which means "friend"
In Urdu, Kai is short for "Kainat", meaning "universe". It is usually a nickname, though it can be a real name too. Other nicknames for the same name may include Kaiskii, Kaina and Kaiya
In Welsh, Kai is a popular given name normally spelt Cai, from the Arthurian legend of Sir Kay
In Wolof (Senegalese language) kai means "come"

Choccyhobnob Fri 12-Dec-14 16:57:53

Think it will go down about as well as Tyler on here....

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 12-Dec-14 16:59:23

I have never taught a lovely Kai I'm afraid OP. They are generally very naughty boys! grin

SirChenjin Fri 12-Dec-14 17:00:24

Don't like it, sorry. Unless you really admire the Rooneys for their taste I'd stay clear.

hoppus Fri 12-Dec-14 17:02:29

I know a boy spelled Kye, he's a lovely boy, but a lovely boy with a stupid name. I don't like it.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 12-Dec-14 17:02:34

In N. Ireland it is sectarian graffiti often painted on walls meaning "Kill All Irish".

I don't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now