Talk

Advanced search

Which name is easier to pronounce?

(12 Posts)
emjan Sun 07-Dec-14 04:31:46

1. Alex / Jason. Which name is easier to pronounce?

2. Alex / Jason. Which name are you likely to hear it correctly and not mistake for another similar sounding name when the name is spoken?

3. Alex / Jason. Which name are you more likely to remember?

4. Alex Lim / Jason Lim. Which name would be better or sounds better? (Lim is my surname)

Other comments or opinions of these names are welcomed. Thanks.

Madamecastafiore Sun 07-Dec-14 04:33:57

I'd go for s name with three syllables when your surname only has one.

Not sure , just sounds better but,of your two I like Alex better, Jason is a bit 70s.

BikeRunSki Sun 07-Dec-14 04:40:42

1-3 both much the same, they are not complicated.
4- I'd choose Alex. Jason is very dated (70s-80s) and not in a good way.

lazydog Sun 07-Dec-14 05:02:45

I'd choose Alex, but using Alexander as their registered name, so that they have the choice of using the more formal variant when they're older. Definitely not Jason, sorry!

MargaretRiver Sun 07-Dec-14 05:09:37

Agree with full name Alexander, it seems a much better balence with your short surname
Not keen on Jason

Kantha Sun 07-Dec-14 05:37:07

1 & 2: no difference
3 & 4: Jason

A downside of Alex is that it is very popular in some places, whereas Jason being so out of fashion is just about unheard of.

Would you rather your child had an unusual name that may be out of fashion, or a name where he might be one of many of them at school?

SavoyCabbage Sun 07-Dec-14 06:12:05

1. Same

2. Jason is probably mispronounced less.

3. I would remember Jason as it in more unusual to meet a young child called Jason than it is to meet a young child called Alex.

4. They both sound fine but Jason Lim sounds better as Jason has two syllables.

SoupDragon Sun 07-Dec-14 06:15:40

Jason has two syllables

As does Alex.

I don't think there's much difference between the two insofar as your questions go.

SavoyCabbage Sun 07-Dec-14 08:23:24

So it does! I've had wine (evening here, not wine with my Cheerios)

MsJupiter Sun 07-Dec-14 08:25:44

1. Both
2. Either
3. Both easy to remember, I know loads of Alexes so possibly Jason more memorable as more unusual.
4. With your surname, any name ending in a sibilant will run the risk of sounding like 'Slim' (i.e. 'Alec Slim' iyswim) which is fine if he is but less so if he isn't in terms of childhood teasing.

CitronVert Sun 07-Dec-14 13:52:56

I prefer the name Alex but think Jason fits your criteria better.

Ludways Sun 07-Dec-14 14:05:31

Jason is my favourite of the two but a few Jason's I know are shortened to Jay and Jay Lim is awful, sorry.

I don't like Alex or Alexander at all but I know I'm in the minority, as most people I know love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now