Talk

Advanced search

To add a 'h'...?

(16 Posts)
CaleyThistle Sat 06-Dec-14 12:02:53

OH and I have decided to call our bump Leila if she's a girl.
I was reading a baby name book and came across the spelling with the addition of a 'h', Leilah, which I think I prefer, but OH is not so sure.
Which one would you choose...?

Leila or Leilah

TheWhispersOfTheGods Sat 06-Dec-14 12:06:13

No h. Leila is quite nice, but superfluous letters don't add anything imo, and are a pita to be saying 'Leila, with an h'. I think it makes the name clunky.

florascotia Sat 06-Dec-14 12:47:21

Leila has been spelled in different ways in several different languages. But it does not usually end usually in 'h' in any of them, except English:
www.behindthename.com/name/leila

But in English, adding an 'h' can also suggest changes to the sound, from 'Lie-luh' (or Lay-luh or Lee-luh) to 'Lie-laa' (or Lay-lah or Lee-lah). It's similar to the difference between (say) the endings of Anna and Delilah/ Dinah. So I suppose it might be an idea to choose the spelling that matches the pronouncation you prefer.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 06-Dec-14 15:46:38

I think it looks much nicer without an H. Leila is also much prettier than Layla smile

Sophronia Sun 07-Dec-14 10:53:36

I prefer it without the h, and agree that the h changes the pronunciation slightly.

itssangriaoclock Sun 07-Dec-14 19:51:08

Without

DramaAlpaca Sun 07-Dec-14 19:55:23

I'm with you, OP. I think I like it slightly better with the h, so Leilah. It makes it look & sound slightly softer, IMO. The downside is that you will get problems with people spelling it wrong.

Either way, it's a nice name.

CaleyThistle Sun 07-Dec-14 22:07:32

Thanks all.
It's a softer Lee-lah sound we are looking for, hence the reason for adding the H. I also think the H helps people to pronounce it as Lee-lah rather than Lay-la.
There are currently a lot of popular girl's names out there which end in the letter A, including my three nieces, so I just want something a little different.

BlueStarsAtNight Sun 07-Dec-14 22:11:49

Without the h. But I would never pronounce it Lee-lah with any of the spellings; as far as I know the name is Lay-lah. I think you'll be correcting people her whole life.
I don't think the h on the end would change my pronunciation at all.

KatieKaye Sun 07-Dec-14 22:54:27

Without the h.
It looks superfluous.
Don't think it will aid pronunciation.

divingoffthebalcony Sun 07-Dec-14 22:54:45

Leilah would not be pronounced Leela, though, because "lei" = "lay".

If you want it to be pronounced Leela, you're going to have to spell it Leela. I also knew a Lila pronounced Leela (although I always, ALWAYS wanted to say "lie-la").

Beangarda Mon 08-Dec-14 10:46:33

If you want the 'leela' pronunciation, I think you're going to either have to just point it out to everyone, or spell it 'Leela'. I can think of quite a few women and girls of that name, and it's always 'Layla' (which I think is lovely).

AlpacaMyBags Mon 08-Dec-14 11:00:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 08-Dec-14 11:05:35

I'd never guess that Leila was Leela. Could you try Leala?

Or Leahla? Lealah? Leelah?

Becky?

FantasticMrsFoxx Wed 10-Dec-14 20:52:52

With an H.
I definitely read it as Lee-La in the same way I would for Keira, Sheila, Keith, Neil etc
To my mind EI makes an EE sound, not an AY sound, as in ceiling, caffeine, Madeira, receive etc

Artandco Wed 10-Dec-14 20:56:00

Leila - lila
Layla - lay-la
Leighla - lee-la

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now