Talk

Advanced search

Would Monty get picked on?

(33 Posts)
daholster Wed 03-Dec-14 00:05:46

It's a worry for us. Do you know any? Are they picked on? We are wondering if it might soon make a comeback... And would have to cope with the "no, we didn't name it after the penguin..."

hoppingmad Wed 03-Dec-14 00:19:53

I know a Monty, I think it's an excellent name and the reaction seemed positive when he was born. No, he doesn't get picked on

DillyDoDah Wed 03-Dec-14 02:10:05

I think it's a joke name.

UpNorth74 Wed 03-Dec-14 08:34:37

I know a Monty, and as above the reaction to his announcement was brilliant. 'Cracking name' was probably the expression most used.

By next christmas, people will struggle to remember this year's John Lewis Ad

Pufflemum Wed 03-Dec-14 08:40:05

I know several, all aged between 4-8, none get picked on. They are all spelt Monte. I have also met several dogs called Monte/y but have no idea how they spell it!

It's a nice name and no one will remember the penguin in years (months) to come.

Macloveswill Wed 03-Dec-14 08:41:33

I love the name....cool, not pretentious definitely smile

Macloveswill Wed 03-Dec-14 08:42:42

If you wanted a more formal name: Montgomery NN Monty

TipseyTorvey Wed 03-Dec-14 08:43:39

I love the name Monty but DH kept quoting withnail and I at me smile. I say go for it though.

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 03-Dec-14 08:51:49

I used to know a Monty. He'd be 12 now. When we knew him (when he was age 3-6) he didn't get any comeback on his name that I was aware of. My son (same age as him) also has an unusual name and, whilst I am sure there are plenty of people who dislike it, the only feedback we get, frequently, is how cool a name it is. I think Monty is equally cool.

Plus, and this will out where I grew up if anyone knows, there used to be a local boys' school named Montogomery of Alamein which was univerally known as Monty's. Monty was a great local, and national, hero.

burgatroyd Wed 03-Dec-14 09:56:51

I know one. He's not picked on. Personally I don't like that name. Its like Nelly or Humbert or Egbert to me.

Castlemilk Wed 03-Dec-14 10:22:07

It's already made a comeback with the wannabe cool parent set I think! I know a couple. It's nice.

LarrytheCucumber Wed 03-Dec-14 11:48:21

If you are worried he might get picked on perhaps it is one to avoid. I only know a Monte, which probably wasn't the best spelling to choose.

skylark2 Wed 03-Dec-14 13:29:23

There's a penguin called Monty?

I'd be more concerned with Full Monty.

daholster Wed 03-Dec-14 13:30:28

Lots of interesting viewpoints thank you! I'm not really worried about whether people like it, dh and I have secretly loved it for years and now we are having a boy we'd just like to be brave enough, so long as he won't be picked on, that's all. The feedback on that front seems generally positive though smile

daholster Wed 03-Dec-14 13:31:31

Ooh skylark x post - good point...

SilentAllTheseYears Wed 03-Dec-14 13:37:53

I love it.

YvesJutteau Wed 03-Dec-14 13:43:46

I know a couple, from pretty different backgrounds. Neither has been picked on.

Legionofboom Wed 03-Dec-14 13:46:21

I don't know about being named after a penguin but Monty is a very popular name for dogs.

playftseforme Wed 03-Dec-14 13:47:08

I know 2 Montys, both lovely little chaps

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 03-Dec-14 13:50:41

I know a Monty and as far as I know he's had no problems, even though where he lives is decidedly no-nonsense and most boys' names there are quite conservative.

It is quite a popular name for dogs though - he does share a name with his best friend's dog grin

ScrambledSmegs Wed 03-Dec-14 13:54:52

I like it.

Makes me think of Monty Don <comes over all peculiar>.

squoosh Wed 03-Dec-14 16:26:00

It's comedy posh to me and just reminds me of Uncle Monty.

WittyUsername102 Wed 03-Dec-14 20:26:39

I know a girl called Monty, and no she's never had any problems.

Kaekae Thu 04-Dec-14 00:01:47

I like it. I know a few now, they have never experienced bullying.

rockybalboa Thu 04-Dec-14 00:12:19

I have one! No-one has picked on him yet but he's only 1. I know a 5 year old one too. Not aware he's ever been picked. We agonised over the Montgomery/Montague point for ages but we just didn't like either so we broke our long established baby naming rules (he is DC3) and just went with it. We had a fairly long 'short' list by the time he was born and nothing else suited him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now