Talk

Advanced search

Sacha... Would you?

(24 Posts)
daholster Sun 30-Nov-14 10:06:26

I love the name Sacha. It's my favourite name for a boy. If I was on my own I think I'd choose it... But dh worries that we are English and the name is not!!! Fair enough, but I do love it...

I know some people will comment about it being girly and I'm interested to see how many do think this... Though we don't think it is ourselves and probably would t worry about it (unless the WORLD disagrees!!!)

scarletforya Sun 30-Nov-14 10:13:04

Personally, I really dislike it, for boy or girl.

Pfeffernusse Sun 30-Nov-14 10:16:48

How about giving the name Alexander and using Sacha as a nickname? Since it is a nickname for Alexander anyway.

I don't think it is girly, and I think it is lovely. But Alexander perhaps gives more options?

MeMyselfAnd1 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:21:21

I think Pffernuse suggestion is a good one. If you use the name rather than the knickname, your son will be able to choose what he thinks suits his needs better when he is older.

thelmasmonkey Sun 30-Nov-14 11:20:22

Agree with above

Munchkin08 Sun 30-Nov-14 11:22:32

I love it for a girl or a boy

daholster Sun 30-Nov-14 11:37:29

Yes I knew it was short for Alexander but don't really understand it... And dh doesn't like Alexander hmm I'm on the fence...

daholster Sun 30-Nov-14 11:39:44

I suppose we could use Sacha day to day with Alexander on the birth certificate and as you say he can choose later then if he'd prefer to use his full name or different nn.

Any other opinions? this is helpful, thanks.

deadwitchproject Sun 30-Nov-14 12:07:36

I know the most adorable toddler Sacha. He's a very happy, smiley little chap. I'm biased of course but I love the name.

Bowlersarm Sun 30-Nov-14 12:10:57

I like it as a nickname but not a name in it's own right. Agree with those saying put Alexander on the birth certificate.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 30-Nov-14 13:25:49

Agree with Alexander nn Sacha.

Sacha is the Russian nn for it, I think.

Though I find Russian names confusing. It blew my mind a bit as a teen when I discovered that Natalie/Natalia/Nastasha were all forms of the same name. Very much separate names in the UK.

Chatty987 Sun 30-Nov-14 13:48:53

I really like it (for a boy). I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to use it but it is lovely. Alexander could be the answer with Sacha as nn. Alexander is a beautiful name in its own right so you could have best of both worlds.

Sophronia Sun 30-Nov-14 14:18:38

I'd put Alexander on the bc and call him Sacha. As others have said, if he doesn't like it then he will have other nns to fall back on.

shoobidoo Sun 30-Nov-14 15:10:17

Please don't use the French spelling, unless you're in France. Sacha is the French spelling - ch is pronounced sh in French.
I like the name for a boy and know quite a few German Saschas.

JakeyBurd Sun 30-Nov-14 15:11:55

We have a few Sachas round here. All Russian, but it has helped to normalise the name so it wouldn't raise any "girly" comments here. It's very European but unless you are a Europhobe then there's nothing wrong with that! I'd say go for it.

Nicename Sun 30-Nov-14 15:18:43

I know a few and they are all Russian boys..all lovely kids too!

Lunastarfish Sun 30-Nov-14 19:16:21

I know a British boy sacha (just Sacha) if that helps

bigbluestars Sun 30-Nov-14 19:32:26

Love it for a boy or a girl.

SurfsUp1 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:09:05

I like it!

I think as a stand alone name it's more of a girls name (certainly outside Europe) but as a nn for Alexander it is lovely and widely understood as a boys name.

I think for girls it's more often spelled Sasha or Sascha?

I don't think Id use it as a stand alone name for a boy like I would for a girl, though.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 30-Nov-14 21:14:24

I like it. There was one at a baby group I went to - gorgeous little boy. Joan Collins son is also called it.

buttercupbear Sun 30-Nov-14 21:16:32

Shoo- it is also the russian spelling, it is the correct spelling of the name as this is where it originated. If the name Sacha is going to be used it does not matter whether foreign spelling is used as it is a foreign name.

buttercupbear Sun 30-Nov-14 21:17:11

Ps da, go for it, it's lovely

DixieNormas Sun 30-Nov-14 21:18:02

I like it on its own, I know a couple of people my age with it. I wouldn't bother putting another name on the bc

Tsoukalosy Sun 30-Nov-14 21:18:14

Sacha baron cohen? I like the name for a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now