Talk

Advanced search

Is Iris about to get really popular?

(42 Posts)
divingoffthebalcony Sat 29-Nov-14 17:35:47

I'm expecting #2 and love Iris for a girl. But I keep seeing it pop up on the Baby Names board so I'm worried it will explode into the top 20 or even the top 10 within the next few years (like Ruby or Ava).

I feel very torn between choosing a name I love, versus a name I think is "safe" in terms of not getting super popular. I know some posters here are mystified by the notion of avoiding popular names, but I am one of those people who would be upset by it, ok? grin

So, name geeks, what's the consensus?

divingoffthebalcony Sat 29-Nov-14 17:37:29

Should probably point out that my first child's name is A.d.a, which is why I would be looking for an equally uncommon name with a slight air of old lady about it.

EdithWeston Sat 29-Nov-14 17:40:47

There are quite a few girls called Iris the same age as DS2 (teen) but it never took off then, because for every person who thinks of goddess or flower, there is another who thinks eyeballs. I don't think it'll take off now for the same reason.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 29-Nov-14 17:54:53

for every person who thinks of goddess or flower, there is another who thinks eyeballs.

Very good point! I had similar worries about Felix for a boy, because it has been inching up the charts these last few years (think it's just inside the top 100 now?) but have consoled myself with the fact that for every person who likes it, there's another who thinks of cat food.

EdithMasseysEgg Sat 29-Nov-14 17:58:39

I am waiting on the arrival of DD2 and was going to name her Iris... However I have recently met a few and it does seem to be gaining in popularity (not an issue if you love the name) so I was put off. If you look on darkgreener.com it's leapt from nearly 2000th place to 104th.

ClariceBeanthatsme Sat 29-Nov-14 18:03:09

Those girls names go beautifully together. Imo I don't think it will get really popular it's as they say "old lady chic" type of name which isn't to everyone's taste. I love it along with edith and ivy.

squoosh Sat 29-Nov-14 18:11:10

It's getting more popular

2011 - 147th place
2012 - 122nd place
2013 - 106th place

I don't know if it's the kind of name that will reach Top 20 type popularity though as people seem to favour girls names that end in an ee or a sound. But that could all change I suppose.

Ihateparties Sat 29-Nov-14 18:24:00

I don't think it will go top 20 either, bit too niche I reckon. The names do go beautifully together imo am biased because they are dd1 and dd2's names grin

divingoffthebalcony Sat 29-Nov-14 18:33:04

No way, parties!

Ihateparties Sat 29-Nov-14 18:34:21

Yep smile other way round though, iris first.

speedbird17 Sat 29-Nov-14 18:39:37

DD1 has the same name as your DD1, I am currently pg and Iris is in our top three if we have another DD (it's my favourite!) I say go for it as I am in the same camp as you with popular names!

bitofanoddone Sat 29-Nov-14 18:41:58

Elspeth is in a similar vein?

squoosh Sat 29-Nov-14 18:46:32

Elspeth is a bit lispy.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 29-Nov-14 18:51:10

Elspeth is also too Scottish for us - neither of us have a drop of Celtic blood in our bodies!

Back2Two Sat 29-Nov-14 18:55:43

Three people on this thread have already said they are thinking of naming their daughter Iris so it does sound quite popular.

Florence goes well with Ada but I think that's popular too now?
Connie?
Betsy?

I just recently remembered Olga as a name that I think is lovely...not sure it would go with Ada though as it's similar.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 29-Nov-14 19:01:47

That is true back. And I've clicked on two baby names threads today, completely at random, to find Iris featuring prominently. This is why I'm anticipating a big increase in popularity over the next few years. Really think I'm going to have to scour the official spreadsheets (which, handily, I have saved going back to about 2009!) for some alternatives.

FeelingIrie Sat 29-Nov-14 19:04:31

Hi OP,

I have a 6 month old Iris, I too hope it doesn't get too popular. But I have to say, I do think it's a bit marmite. I get some really positive reactions but also some polite, restrained reactions which I know means that person is wondering, what was she thinking calling her that!?

I'm fine with that, as firstly I bloody LOVE the name and that's all that counts, but also because I think it will stop it getting too crazily popular. Agree with the eyeballs comment, some people have made it to me! Also some people just aren't too keen on any of the granny chic kinda names.

Iris is lovely with Ada. I also like Edith, Etta, Bessie/Bess, Winnie, Vivienne, Effie, Lillian, Eleanor/Nell, Rose and May.

Good luck!

Ihateparties Sat 29-Nov-14 19:24:57

Same, lots of people love it but as many people are polite about it, some say it sounds too harsh etc. Among dd's friends there are many of the other names that have come up, Connie, Etta, Mabel, Betsy, Elspeth etc. So I suppose I don't perceive those names as any less popular. If I had to name another child I would be totally stuck!

EmilyGilmore Sat 29-Nov-14 20:08:05

I love it. You will probably meet a few here and there but not enough to put you off. I really liked it for DD but my DH worked with one at the time and it seemed a bit weird to name the baby after her!

bluewisteria Sat 29-Nov-14 20:12:07

Ooh, is Etta popular now?! We have an Etta, short for Rosetta, she is 2 years old.

I LOVE Iris.... I think you should go for it - as others have said, because it is so marmite it won't become the next Isabella.

lightgreenglass Sat 29-Nov-14 22:04:14

I don't see it being top 20 but I definitely think people see it as an alternative to Isla which is now incredibly popular. It is a lovely name I think!

FeelingIrie Sat 29-Nov-14 23:46:38

Oh James, lovely name! Love Etta but hadn't thought of/come across Rosetta as a longer version, that combines two names I love and is much prettier than Jamesetta, Etta James' original first name!

rednsparkley Sat 29-Nov-14 23:56:17

I have an Iris (she is nearly 4) and we get nothing but positive reactions when people hear her name. I haven't come across another in person yet although an old school friend has an older Iris (7)

looki Sun 30-Nov-14 00:14:52

This forum is frequented by people who have a keen interest in baby names, not just mums to be so you are far more likely to encounter 'uncommon' names. Like many of the posts on this forum, where a name is 'considered', it doesn't mean the name will be used or it may be used as a middle name or it doesn't mean the name ever even reaches the top three favourite names.

I wouldn't give a second thought to how many posts you read where people are 'considering' a certain name. Go to the name stats and see how many times it has been used. If you see a surge in its popularity over the last year or two, then its probably safe to say it will increase.

Even taking all the above into account, a soap star/celeb etc could have a baby tomorrow and call her Iris which potentially will bring the name to the forefront of people's minds. Its not always the case either though. Take Sarah Jessica Parker who called one of her daughters Tabitha. There are countless posts on here saying that Tabitha is a favourite name, yet its not a very popular name when the stats. are recorded especially considering SJP was well known at the time she had her twins. (For the record I love Tabitha and really wish I had used it myself smile )

Simply said, its future popularity cannot be predicted when its not an already popular name e.g. Ava etc.

FeelingIrie Sun 30-Nov-14 00:29:25

Sorry, I meant Blue, not James.
I admit it, I'm drunk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now