Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about

(31 Posts)
MrsNBM Thu 27-Nov-14 22:07:23

Sadie Isabella and Amber?

There are the only three girls names me and DH can agree on at moment!
Honest opinions please! smile

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 27-Nov-14 22:10:17

Amber is a bit 'stripper'. I don't like sadie but its ok.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 27-Nov-14 22:10:39

Oops. Isabella is very nice.

ViviPru Thu 27-Nov-14 22:12:53

I love Sadie. it's one of my favourite names. Isabella and Amber are a bit nondescript and ubiquitous in comparison.

Waveney Thu 27-Nov-14 22:13:50

I like Amber. Isabella is ok but super-popular. Dislike Sadie. I think it can be a nickname, for Sarah maybe?

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:13

Isabella and its variants are so overused around here that you might as well call your baby 'Girl'. I agree with Amber (like Crystal, Topaz etc) sounding slightly like an 'exotic dancer' stage name, and Sadie for me is a gossipy, chain-smoking care home nurse who says 'Ooh, listen to 'im!' a lot.

MadameJosephine Thu 27-Nov-14 22:22:18

I love Sadie and Amber but dont like Isabella, its is a bit too overused at the moment too

ViviPru Thu 27-Nov-14 22:23:25

Blue actual snigger @ 'girl' grin

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:41:50

Honestly, Vivi, I'm only exaggerating slightly! All baby boys in this vicinity appear to be called George, Harry or Louie/Louis/Lewis, and all girls are Isabel, Isabella, Isobel, Isabelle, Izzy, Izzy-Mae, Belle, Bella etc etc.

MrsNBM Thu 27-Nov-14 22:43:48

Thank you everyone smile

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:48:52

Sorry, OP if that sounded horrendously rude. Isabella is so ubiquitous, and I grew up with a very common name and hated always being one of four or five in a class. And my vision of Sadie comes from the dislikeable mother of a friend, so that the name literally automatically conjures up nicotine-yellow fingertips - but you may not mind a very popular name, and are unlikely to know my unpleasant, mean-minded Sadie.

Sophronia Thu 27-Nov-14 22:50:08

I like Isabella but not the other two.

MrsNBM Thu 27-Nov-14 22:59:43

It's okay Blueteas I did ask for honesty so I appreciate that that is what I got! I'd just rather ask here as when you ask in RL most say its nice or lovely etc. so they don't offend. I'd just hate to give our baby a name everyone is secretly thinking is awful!

BeezusQuimby Thu 27-Nov-14 23:04:17

Isabella is a fabulous name ( says an Isabella)

BeezusQuimby Thu 27-Nov-14 23:06:28

And certainly not ubiquitous when I was born ( overused now though)

onehellofaride Thu 27-Nov-14 23:08:12

I like Isabella not too sure on Sadie and Amber although we were going to call DS Amber if he was a girl!

DramaAlpaca Thu 27-Nov-14 23:16:45

I like Isabella very much, but it's become very popular.

Amber has a very 1990s feel to it. It's dated, but it's OK as a name.

I know it's used as a name in its own right these days, but Sadie still sounds like a nickname to me.

squoosh Thu 27-Nov-14 23:32:00

Isabella - nice name but has been done.to.death in the last few years. I hereby ban further use of the name Isabella. <bangs gavel authoritatively>

Sadie - the name of a heroine from a Catherine Cookson novel. 72nd daughter to a poor coal miner, against the odds she goes on to make her millions building up a chain of hardware stores. She's a bit chippy.

Amber - love it. Posh, beautiful hippy girl who lives in Ibiza and is a muse to a sexy but ancient artist. He tragically dies one sunny afternoon but happily leaves her his most valuable works. She's fond of an ankle bracelet.

Spanielpuppy Fri 28-Nov-14 11:35:55

Amber or Sadie. Isabella is very over used.

MrsBungle Fri 28-Nov-14 11:37:46

I really like all 3 although Isabella is very popular. Sadie is my favourite.

hlc123 Fri 28-Nov-14 13:13:32

I love Sadie and like Amber but not so keen on Isabella

AdorableAbbie Fri 28-Nov-14 13:45:09

I prefer Sadie and Amber.

MehsMum Fri 28-Nov-14 13:45:32

I've only ever known one Sadie.
Dead posh (landowning posh).

Agree with PPs who reckon Isabella (and variants) has been done to death.

Riverland Fri 28-Nov-14 13:53:43

Isabella, lovely but ubiquitous.

Sadie..meter lady. Not a good name for gravitas.

Amber..agree it's a bit exotic dancer 90's.

moxon Fri 28-Nov-14 13:57:54

Have you considered 'Girl', OP? I like the novelty, ironically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now