Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

What do you think about

(31 Posts)
MrsNBM Thu 27-Nov-14 22:07:23

Sadie Isabella and Amber?

There are the only three girls names me and DH can agree on at moment!
Honest opinions please! smile

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 27-Nov-14 22:10:17

Amber is a bit 'stripper'. I don't like sadie but its ok.

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Thu 27-Nov-14 22:10:39

Oops. Isabella is very nice.

ViviPru Thu 27-Nov-14 22:12:53

I love Sadie. it's one of my favourite names. Isabella and Amber are a bit nondescript and ubiquitous in comparison.

Waveney Thu 27-Nov-14 22:13:50

I like Amber. Isabella is ok but super-popular. Dislike Sadie. I think it can be a nickname, for Sarah maybe?

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:18:13

Isabella and its variants are so overused around here that you might as well call your baby 'Girl'. I agree with Amber (like Crystal, Topaz etc) sounding slightly like an 'exotic dancer' stage name, and Sadie for me is a gossipy, chain-smoking care home nurse who says 'Ooh, listen to 'im!' a lot.

MadameJosephine Thu 27-Nov-14 22:22:18

I love Sadie and Amber but dont like Isabella, its is a bit too overused at the moment too

ViviPru Thu 27-Nov-14 22:23:25

Blue actual snigger @ 'girl' grin

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:41:50

Honestly, Vivi, I'm only exaggerating slightly! All baby boys in this vicinity appear to be called George, Harry or Louie/Louis/Lewis, and all girls are Isabel, Isabella, Isobel, Isabelle, Izzy, Izzy-Mae, Belle, Bella etc etc.

MrsNBM Thu 27-Nov-14 22:43:48

Thank you everyone smile

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:48:52

Sorry, OP if that sounded horrendously rude. Isabella is so ubiquitous, and I grew up with a very common name and hated always being one of four or five in a class. And my vision of Sadie comes from the dislikeable mother of a friend, so that the name literally automatically conjures up nicotine-yellow fingertips - but you may not mind a very popular name, and are unlikely to know my unpleasant, mean-minded Sadie.

Sophronia Thu 27-Nov-14 22:50:08

I like Isabella but not the other two.

MrsNBM Thu 27-Nov-14 22:59:43

It's okay Blueteas I did ask for honesty so I appreciate that that is what I got! I'd just rather ask here as when you ask in RL most say its nice or lovely etc. so they don't offend. I'd just hate to give our baby a name everyone is secretly thinking is awful!

BeezusQuimby Thu 27-Nov-14 23:04:17

Isabella is a fabulous name ( says an Isabella)

BeezusQuimby Thu 27-Nov-14 23:06:28

And certainly not ubiquitous when I was born ( overused now though)

onehellofaride Thu 27-Nov-14 23:08:12

I like Isabella not too sure on Sadie and Amber although we were going to call DS Amber if he was a girl!

DramaAlpaca Thu 27-Nov-14 23:16:45

I like Isabella very much, but it's become very popular.

Amber has a very 1990s feel to it. It's dated, but it's OK as a name.

I know it's used as a name in its own right these days, but Sadie still sounds like a nickname to me.

squoosh Thu 27-Nov-14 23:32:00

Isabella - nice name but has been done.to.death in the last few years. I hereby ban further use of the name Isabella. <bangs gavel authoritatively>

Sadie - the name of a heroine from a Catherine Cookson novel. 72nd daughter to a poor coal miner, against the odds she goes on to make her millions building up a chain of hardware stores. She's a bit chippy.

Amber - love it. Posh, beautiful hippy girl who lives in Ibiza and is a muse to a sexy but ancient artist. He tragically dies one sunny afternoon but happily leaves her his most valuable works. She's fond of an ankle bracelet.

Spanielpuppy Fri 28-Nov-14 11:35:55

Amber or Sadie. Isabella is very over used.

MrsBungle Fri 28-Nov-14 11:37:46

I really like all 3 although Isabella is very popular. Sadie is my favourite.

hlc123 Fri 28-Nov-14 13:13:32

I love Sadie and like Amber but not so keen on Isabella

AdorableAbbie Fri 28-Nov-14 13:45:09

I prefer Sadie and Amber.

MehsMum Fri 28-Nov-14 13:45:32

I've only ever known one Sadie.
Dead posh (landowning posh).

Agree with PPs who reckon Isabella (and variants) has been done to death.

Riverland Fri 28-Nov-14 13:53:43

Isabella, lovely but ubiquitous.

Sadie..meter lady. Not a good name for gravitas.

Amber..agree it's a bit exotic dancer 90's.

moxon Fri 28-Nov-14 13:57:54

Have you considered 'Girl', OP? I like the novelty, ironically.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: