Talk

Advanced search

Advice please!

(17 Posts)
FeatherFeather11 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:56:19

So I'm 30 weeks pregnant after a very long time trying. Thrilled we're having a little girl and there is one name that we both adore, BUT, a colleague of mine had a daughter about a year ago and named her the very same name. I know this sounds ridiculous, as it's not even like we're mates, but I just feel like the name has now been 'taken'. It's not a super-unusual name, but not common either. What do you all think? My DP thinks I'm being a bit of an idiot about it, so any opinions would be much appreciated!

Waveney Thu 27-Nov-14 22:15:22

Use it anyway. You probably won't know this person in the years to come and it won't matter. I understand why you have reservations but really, don't let this put you off a name you love.

Blueteas Thu 27-Nov-14 22:20:17

Gosh, don't think twice - use it. You'll move jobs or she will, and you'll never cross one another's paths again.

FeatherFeather11 Thu 27-Nov-14 22:29:35

Thanks! Know you're both right, but it just feels a little awkward! I need to get over myself. hmm

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 27-Nov-14 22:35:04

If you like the name definitely choose it.
Good luck with the birth and your new baby.

squoosh Thu 27-Nov-14 23:01:04

Use the name.

I understand your feeling of awkwardness though. I'd feel a bit weird announcing the name in case everyone thought I was being a bit single white female. But unless it's a really unusual name no one will pay it much notice.

Congrats on your pregnancy.

DramaAlpaca Thu 27-Nov-14 23:18:47

Definitely use the name.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Nov-14 06:37:58

Use it.

Where I work there are three women in same dept who have daughters with the some first and middle names. The children aren't particularly close in age. The names aren't unusual at all and if any of the women minded their colleague using it too they've managed to keep a lid on it at work!

burgatroyd Fri 28-Nov-14 06:49:07

Congrats!

Yes, I would use it if its my favourite name forever. As its your first dc though I'd look and see if its very popular. The fact that a colleague has named the baby the same name I like would signal to me it might be a very popular name.
Lots of people say, 'the name I picked wasn't popular but then there were three in dcs nursery.'

That said this might not bother you.

Am very curious about the name!

Lunastarfish Fri 28-Nov-14 10:37:18

I don't know the circumstances re conceiving but if it had taken a long time just use the name you love. You may not get another opportunity

moxon Fri 28-Nov-14 11:39:19

Use use use. Names aren't unique. Whatever people think. If you love it, do it.

FeatherFeather11 Fri 28-Nov-14 18:24:50

Thanks all. I'm sure I'm just being over sensitive, but I think we'll go for it!

BlueChampagne Sat 29-Nov-14 23:13:06

Would love to know what it is.

Sparkleheart Sat 29-Nov-14 23:18:22

As someone who also took a long time to conceive I say definitely use the name you love! You have maybe previously thought you might never get to name a child, so now you have the opportunity, you should go with your heart. Congrats!

FifiRocket Sun 30-Nov-14 12:23:29

Definitely use it! If it's the one you might regret not choosing it when you are stuck with a different name

FeatherFeather11 Mon 01-Dec-14 13:05:07

bluechampagne and others asking, it's Cleo. Not unusual, but not very common (I think!)

SurfsUp1 Tue 02-Dec-14 06:32:23

DH's close colleague named their son the same as out son including first and middle name. We were nothing but flattered!
They were a bit sheepish, but explained that they had had the name lined up for years and it was merely an extraordinary coincidence.

Unless she's a total cow she won't care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now