Talk

Advanced search

Girls names quandry

(50 Posts)
Nightstar Thu 27-Nov-14 00:16:55

Hiya.
We have a top five list but none of them seem "right" for various reasons (some reasons worse than others but still feel valid)

1. Iris - we both like it but it doesn't go brilliantly with Wilkinson surname, also (and I don't know why this bugs me so much but it does) it ends in "S" so I would be saying I'm Iris's mother, I seem to get tongue tied when I say it out loud, like Iriseseseses mother.

2. Amber - again we both like it, but our son is called Jasper. The two people I have mentioned it to assumed I was joking and starting making comments about it being a "theme", so I dropped it, but I still like it.

3. Jessica (or Jemima) - Really like them, but are they too similar to Jasper?

4. Zoe - I thought it was lovely when I first thought of it, it means "life", yet the more I say it the harder/harsher it sounds. I'm looking for something quite feminine I think.

5. Holly / Poppy / Rose - all beautiful but maybe a bit generic and over used now?

Can I get some feedback? Brutally honest please!

RandomHouseRules Thu 27-Nov-14 00:33:57

The only one where I agree with you that it doesn't work well is Jessica - too similar sounding to Jasper. I'm not sure about Jemima but personally I wouldn't have gone with two of the same initial.

I think Amber is a lovely name and I wouldn't get the link and don't think most people would.

I love Zoe. I know quite a few and they are all absolutely lovely people.

Love Iris too and think you'll get over the 's' issue pretty quickly if you love the name and decide to use it. People do not get called by their full name very often either.

Holly/Poppy/Rose - I don't love Poppy and it is the only one I would say is over used. Haven't met a Holly or a Rose recently although nearly every girl I know born in the last 4 years has Rose as a middle name!

Nice list of names overall.

burgatroyd Thu 27-Nov-14 05:32:15

I know lots of Poppy and Hollys and a couple Jessica's.

Favourites are Amber and Zoe

ICanTotallyDance Thu 27-Nov-14 05:42:05

I think Iris and Zoe are lovely and go well with Jasper.

All your other names are nice too, but I like those two the best.

Use of Holly/Poppy/Rose really depends on your area. I only know one Holly and the only Rose I know is about twenty.

baskingseals Thu 27-Nov-14 07:06:29

Definitely Iris. It has got a certain something IMHO.

Artandco Thu 27-Nov-14 07:10:48

What about:

Rosa
Ivy

I used to like Iris but now unfortunately it's sounds to much like Isis!

manicinsomniac Thu 27-Nov-14 08:30:23

Iris - really like it. Don't see the issue with Wilkinson or the s ending personally
Amber - love it. Don't know of any link with Jasper
Jessica - love it. I have a Jessica. Only reason I think it's too similar to Jasper is if you don't want alliteration.
Jemima - really like it. Ditto to Jessica re Jasper
Holly - like it
Poppy - less keen but it's nice enough
Rosie - quite like it. Prefer Rosie

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Jessica and Amber are my favourites but Iris and Jemima are close seconds

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 27-Nov-14 08:48:46

Love Iris and Zoe. I know a little baby Zoe and have always thought it was classic and underused. Not harsh sounding at all, it sounds French and chic to my ear smile. Don't see any issue with Iris Wilkinson, although kind of see where you're coming from with the saying it out loud issue. I loved the name Georgia but couldn't use it because I always felt awkward saying it out loud, I feel like I don't pronounce my G's properly! I'm not sure how many times you would be introducing yourself as 'iris' mother' though.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 27-Nov-14 08:49:27

Ps what is the 'theme' with Amber and Jasper?!

burgatroyd Thu 27-Nov-14 09:49:30

They are both rockes/stones. So obscure no one will notice.

burgatroyd Thu 27-Nov-14 10:30:36

*rocks!

shakemysilliesout Thu 27-Nov-14 12:08:21

I feel stupid for not knowing that...new fact though!

diddl Thu 27-Nov-14 12:21:35

Jessica-fab name.

burgatroyd Thu 27-Nov-14 12:40:49

shake not stupid. I had to really think on that one then google to double check!

Castlemilk Thu 27-Nov-14 13:28:39

Ah sorry, as soon as I saw Amber I thought you can't have that with Jasper! Unless you're then planning on an Opal, Beryl and Ruby to follow...

I like Iris a lot, I'd go with that. Sounds fine with the surname.

Guin1 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:34:33

My favourite is Zoe - don't think it sounds harsh/hard at all.
Agree with pp on Iris/Isis similarity, otherwise really like Iris.
If your DS has nn like Jas, choosing Jessica could cause problems because she is very likely to be called Jess.
Holly is not particularly common, and especially suits a December baby if that is when you are due.

Shedding Thu 27-Nov-14 13:54:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeRunSki Thu 27-Nov-14 13:56:54

I'd get the Amber/Jasper connection, but then I am a geologist. I wouldn't think anything bad of it though!

My favourite is Iris. I see no issue with the 'a' and certainly no issue with Wilkinson.

Jessica is ok, but you'd get the same s issue if she were ever known as Jess.

Holly etc - you're right, these names could do with a rest.

I like Zoe.

RoseyHope Thu 27-Nov-14 13:58:13

I would blink at meeting Jasper & Amber too.
Although amber is tree resin, not a rock

I like Iris and Jemima best!

Mammanat222 Thu 27-Nov-14 15:29:36

I like Amber best from the list, despite the "theme" - which isn't immediately obvious.

skyra13 Thu 27-Nov-14 17:37:52

You could always spell the name Zoe as Zoey seems a little more feminine to me.

I like Amber bet our of your choices.

3littlerabbits Thu 27-Nov-14 17:41:38

Love Amber but very tricky to say alongside Jasper! That might be just me. Rose is beautiful too, and Holly.

Pandora37 Thu 27-Nov-14 18:10:40

I think Jasper and Amber are too similar sounding, and I think the theme would put me off, although lots of people won't notice.

I think Iris sounds good with your surname. I love Zoe and Rose, I don't know any little ones with the names. The other names are all fine, you have a very pretty list.

ataposaurus Thu 27-Nov-14 20:43:37

Iris is a great name, was on my list for number 2 (but was a boy!) I think it goes fine with Wilkinson. I also like Amber and think it goes fine with Jasper (nowhere near as bad as combinations like Lily and Daisy which I do know of!) Jessica is less interesting I think but nice enough. I like Zoe. Really not keen on Holly or Poppy, too cutesy and v popular. I like Rose, not overused as a first name, and elegant .

But would definitely go for Iris in conclusion!

Spanielpuppy Thu 27-Nov-14 20:50:08

If you like iris how bout ivy

Rose poppy def over used

Gemma and Zoe I don't really have an opinion on either way.

Amber I like it jasper and amber go well.

Jasper and Matilda?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now