(47 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 26-Nov-14 16:24:09

My current shortlist is:

Jason
Luke
Toby
Robin
Aaron

I quite like Jason because it's a well known name but it's not as popular now so there won't be three Jasons in the same class at school.

Luke has a nice ring to it but I'm worried that DH will spend all his time doing Darth Vader impressions.

I love Toby but I don't want to use Tobias as my surname begins with S and I don't like the double S sound. Yes I know James ends in S but DH insisted!

People have commented before that Robin sounds a bit wet but it makes me think of Robin Hood and Robin Williams.

My MIL commented that Aaron was common which I was quite surprised at. I live in Northern Ireland so it would be pronounce Arran rather than Air-on.

StuntNun Wed 26-Nov-14 16:24:56

I forgot to mention, the middle name will probably be George.

squoosh Wed 26-Nov-14 16:44:03

Jason - definitely not ready for a comeback just yet. Should be kept in a box with Gary, Dean and Trevor for another twenty years.

Luke - good solid name.

Toby - okay but a bit babyish on a grown man.

Robin - yes a teensy bit wet but I do quite like it.

Aaron - have never met a nice Aaron.

Clueing4looks Wed 26-Nov-14 16:44:46

Of your list I do like aaron the most. If you are looking for non-popular traditional names, what about Johnathan or Joseph? They both sound lovely paired with James.

squoosh Wed 26-Nov-14 16:46:57

Joseph is so popular at the moment, probably more so than any of the names on the OP's list.

Spanielpuppy Wed 26-Nov-14 16:51:42

James and Henry
James and Finley
James and Edward (Ted)
James and Zachary
James and Callum
James and Isaac

I think that James would go with any name as it's so classic. Although I would try to stay away from other J names as post could get confused.

katiegee Wed 26-Nov-14 19:01:21

Also from NI here and aaron is my favourite from your list... I wouldn't say it's common at all! James and Aaron sound great together.

I don't like Jason as much, it sounds a little bit 80's to me...

I quite like Luke - Luke and James sound good together too. I also know a Jacob and James.

o0 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:05:31

We'll James little brother should be Alexander IMO.

Can you guess my DS's names? grin

Out of your list I like Luke the best. I had to veto it in our house as my DH (MASSIVE Star Wars fan) would have driven everyone mad with quotes.

o0 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:06:28

Just shove that rogue apostrophe to the end of James. <tired>

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Wed 26-Nov-14 19:11:20

James and Luke are fantastic choices

I have a James and a Luke grin

akorda Wed 26-Nov-14 19:25:05

I second Luke.

Toby is everywhere at the moment (plus apparently means penis in Scotland! See earlier thread!) Only know one Luke.

Don't mind Robin; don't like Aaron

Leeds2 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:33:02

I love James, but not keen on any on your list. I probably would approve of names your OH suggested! I like George though.

RiverTam Wed 26-Nov-14 19:37:48

oh, I love the name Jason!
Not keen on Luke, prefer Lucas.
Toby I don't like, though Tobias is nice, but I suppose he'd get called Toby anyway.
Oh, just read your comment about 's' at the end of the name - but then you have James! That doesn't make sense!
not keen on Robin or Aaron at all.

for what it's worth (and as I won't be having another) my 2 favourite boys' names at the mo are Ezra and Keir.

Motherscare Wed 26-Nov-14 19:42:20

I think James's little brother should be Nicholas grin

CPtart Wed 26-Nov-14 19:54:09

James is DS1 middle name (first name Adam).
DS2 is Luke so I favour that. A good solid timeless, classless name that isn't often shortened. I still love it several years on.
Not keen on your other choices.

shakemysilliesout Wed 26-Nov-14 19:59:08

I think Daniel.

But from your list I like Jason and Luke. I know so many babies called luca that luke is so fresh to me.

MiddletonPink Wed 26-Nov-14 21:06:21

James and George.
Don't like any in your list sorry.

babyblabber Wed 26-Nov-14 21:30:01

Both kids I know called james have brothers called Alexander

DramaAlpaca Wed 26-Nov-14 21:58:55

Jason - dated, and I don't think it goes with James
Luke - nice name
Toby - OK
Robin - not keen
Aaron - nice name

Luke George or Aaron George go best with James, IMO.

StuntNun Wed 26-Nov-14 22:08:20

My brother already bagged George for my nephew so it's relegated to middle name material. My mum says she can't cope with having two grandchildren both called George!

I did have a longer list of names but I'm trying to pare it down. I also had:

Benjamin
Ethan
Kyle
Milo
River

I also like Oscar but that's my in-laws' dog's name.

Sophronia Wed 26-Nov-14 22:32:25

I like Luke or Aaron best with James. Jason is good too but maybe a bit similar in sound to James. Luke Benjamin would be a nice name.

Ikeameatballs Wed 26-Nov-14 22:36:26

I think Arran George sounds best.

hoobypickypicky Wed 26-Nov-14 22:40:57

I like Robin and Toby. Can I add -

James and Joseph

James and Thomas

James and Robert

shoobidoo Thu 27-Nov-14 07:10:01

Robin George
Quentin George

PomPomPingPong Thu 27-Nov-14 10:37:10

Tobin George

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now