Talk

Advanced search

Know a Gabriel? Were they ever teased?

(21 Posts)
Chloris33 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:11:51

We are thinking of calling our baby Gabriel when he arrives in about 4 weeks! I love the name and have already had something made for his room which says 'Gabriel's Room', but DH is now worried that he might get called 'Gay Boy' at school. Funnily enough, I know two other women who wanted to called their son Gabriel and whose husbands said exactly the same thing! So do you think this is what will happen? Do you know a Gabriel, and what their experience has been with their name if so?

WowOoo Mon 24-Nov-14 10:55:33

The one I know has never been teased about his name so far and he's 11.

I think it's a lovely name. He's called Gabe for short.

SanityClause Mon 24-Nov-14 11:00:00

I do know a 10yo Valentine, which is a similar kind of name. AFAIK, he has not been teased about his name. I think children just tend to accept names, and get on with it.

If your child is going to be bullied, it doesn't matter what their name is. They might just as easily be bullied about their type of school bag, or the shape of their nose.

I like Gabriel. If you both like it, go for it.

SockDrawer Mon 24-Nov-14 11:02:48

I know one who's 11 too, he's called Gabriel by most but by his close group of school friends he's called Brill (as in brilliant) and is a really lovely chap. I've only once heard him called GAYbriel in teasing which was met by scornful looks from his friends. And to be fair children can be teased over anything so I don't think it's the absolute worst thing that could have been said!

vixsatis Mon 24-Nov-14 11:03:28

Two Gabriels in my son's class (aged 13). No problems afaik

SanityClause Mon 24-Nov-14 11:04:30

Incidentally, DD1 (15) recently told me about some one who was name-called "Gaylord", at school.

His response? Yessss! I am the Lord of Gays! <fist punch>

Bowlersarm Mon 24-Nov-14 11:05:16

I know two teens, as far as I know they don't get teased about their name. I wouldn't worry about it. It's no worse than having a William and worrying about willy for example.

JakeyBurd Mon 24-Nov-14 13:41:53

Only Gabriel I've ever known (now adult) got Gibby for short, and only got some mild teasing from one girl called Gabrielle who didn't know there was a boy's version.

moxon Tue 25-Nov-14 18:30:33

Gay boy? Never heard of it.
Gabe is nice too.

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 25-Nov-14 18:33:10

Nope. Know older ones and some little ones.

SingingSands Tue 25-Nov-14 18:37:08

DS's friend (6) is a Gabriel. It's a fab name. He gets Gabs for short.
Your DH is comparing kids in primary school to his own school days. I don't hear much "gay" slagging in the playground nowadays, maybe because times have moved on and it's not the homophobic eighties anymore?

Chloris33 Wed 26-Nov-14 09:17:51

Thanks guys, feeling more confident about going for it now, though DH still needs a bit of convincing - yes, I think he's thinking of his own school days!

Gugglebum Thu 27-Nov-14 09:05:18

My Gabriel is nearly 14 and has never had any teasing about his name. He likes it so much that he doesn't let people shorten it, either. grin

atticusclaw Thu 27-Nov-14 09:07:57

We nearly chose Gabriel for DS1 but then DSis met a boyfriend called Gabriel (now her DH) and so we dropped it as a choice. I really like it. BIL is known as Gabe.

Kaekae Sat 29-Nov-14 15:40:24

I know one and he is adorable. No teasing. Gets called Gabes. Cute.

Elfina Sat 29-Nov-14 15:59:35

I went to primary school with Gabriel Abonglahor - he was certainly never teased smile

TheHappyCamper Sat 29-Nov-14 16:14:35

I know 2. One aged 16 is called Gabe by most people. Doesn't like Gabriel particularly but doesn't get teased. Very popular young man. Second one aged 7, lovely lad, called Gabriel all the time. No teasing and is a very quiet studious young chap.

NancyJones Sat 29-Nov-14 21:10:35

It's a fabulous name. I actually think it sounds very strong and manly. I have known two, with no gay jokes as far as I'm aware (I taught one)

As a pp said, I think Sch is far less homophonic these days.

clary Mon 01-Dec-14 00:20:05

I know a Gabriel, I think it's a great name.

The one I know (the only one I have ever known apart from Gabriel Byrne, and I've never actually met him sad) is not at school yet so not sure re teasing.

He has 3 big brothers tho and seems to me like he could make himself heard IYSWIM so I can't imagine he will have an issue. His brothers call him Gabe. The oldest is certainly old enough to have heard the "Gay" used as an insult but I am pretty sure it has never been an issue.

* I think children just tend to accept names, and get on with it.* This. Very very true IME (I am a teacher and have a lot of <ahem> unusual names among my students. The kids take it in their stride)

clary Mon 01-Dec-14 00:21:25

the word "gay" I meant to say. That's if it is used as an insult at their school (I am afraid it still is where I teach sad)

FrancisdeSales Thu 04-Dec-14 05:54:02

We have a Gabriel age 8. He is known as Gabe but was Gabey the Baby when a bub and still gets Gabey from close friends and family but never been teased. In fact lots of people compliment him on his name. He is also tall so like to think he can look to Gabriel Oak (Far from the Madding Crowd) as a role model.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now