Talk

Advanced search

If you gave your DD a very unusual name

(184 Posts)
ZebraZeebra Fri 21-Nov-14 20:00:30

Care to share? grin

And also, did you tell people beforehand or is it best to just announce once they're here?

poppetina Fri 21-Nov-14 20:03:29

I did, though I'd rather not share in case I get recognised. We only told people when she was born and had lots of spelling and explaining to do!

Vitalstatistix Fri 21-Nov-14 20:05:11

I did and no, because I would instantly out myself. It's not very likely that there is anyone else out their with a child with either name, but those two names together - they'd know it's me grin

MehsMum Fri 21-Nov-14 20:06:18

If I share I will out myself.

We announced it once she was born. MIL got it wrong for the first few days, and there was a bit of stir, but no one gives it a second thought these days (except when I find threads like this).

DD loves her name. Other DD, with an unusual but slightly more granny-name, wants to rename herself something 'normal'.

oneofthosenicemuslims2015 Fri 21-Nov-14 20:06:48

Announced when she arrived, far more fun that way grin yy to the explaining! Will not post the name(s) as will definitely out me!

ZebraZeebra Fri 21-Nov-14 20:07:01

Of course, yes - unusual is more chance of being recognised!

I am REALLY drawn to the random, quirky names. January, for example - just love it. But I don't know if I/we dare. How do you feel about all the questioning/puzzled looks?

Darquesse Fri 21-Nov-14 20:11:31

Please can't you all just name change and spill the beans? I am imagining baby wizadoras.

OpalQuartz Fri 21-Nov-14 20:40:49

Beyoncé?

OpalQuartz Fri 21-Nov-14 20:42:23

I love January.

Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 20:43:41

Dd is Antogine....

We call her T I G G Y

Not that unusual I guess but don't hear it everyday

Bonsoir Fri 21-Nov-14 20:44:08

January is copying January Jones. Not fantastically original.

gamerchick Fri 21-Nov-14 20:44:11

I would be outed as well.. even name changing would out me as people would then know im on here and will hang around looking.

Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 20:45:01

Whoops that would be Antigone.... Helps if you can spell your dc name blush

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 21-Nov-14 20:47:08

Ooh loving Antigone.

I wanted to call DD one Perdita but DH wouldn't let me. We did choose an unusual name but I'm not sharing here! She's the only one in her school and in fact we've only met one other...DD is ten.

ZebraZeebra Fri 21-Nov-14 20:51:11

Bonsoir well yes, it is...but I suppose every single name in the known world will be copied somewhere, by someone hmm But given I've never known one, never known anyone call their daughter it or ever come across it on baby name sites...I think it's safe to say it is unusual. If not entirely original. As you say.

ZebraZeebra Fri 21-Nov-14 20:52:43

Only1 Antigone is lovely!

I know an Artemis for a girl...Arty for short. Just love it.

nobutreally Fri 21-Nov-14 20:54:13

Dd has a name that is actually popular on here, but I've only ever met one other (dd is nearly 9). She's is a pretty confident child, and loves having an unusual name.
We didn't tell anyone until she was named. My mum did say it was a good thing she had a middle name.... Everything else was positive to our faces smile

OttiliaVonBCup Fri 21-Nov-14 20:54:52

Mary.

Everybody goes 'Ohhh"
But I'm outing myself here...

Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 20:55:03

Aww thanks Claw and Zeb .... It so suits her.

Only1scoop Fri 21-Nov-14 20:56:48

Just love Perdy....that was on my list ....

Artie is lovely

Strokethefurrywall Fri 21-Nov-14 20:57:44

We wanted to call our daughter Dylan.

We had a son. He's not called Dylan grin

ZebraZeebra Fri 21-Nov-14 20:58:18

My son (2) has a very unusual name but I didn't think it was anything out there - just in mine and my DH's cultural references, it was pretty cool and completely evocative of a particular time and place. We didn't really look at any baby name books for him, just knew of the name in our consciousness and then happened across again in a documentary when I was pregnant. After we'd named him I looked it up and there's only something like 10 in this country and 200 in the US. So we sort of inadvertently went for very unusual but not deliberately so. This time I'm kinda hooked on finding something to match it.

ZebraZeebra Fri 21-Nov-14 20:59:22

Dylan for a girl is VERY cool! Love Dylan anyway so it's lovely for a boy, but particularly so for a girl.

Unusualnames Fri 21-Nov-14 21:03:28

I've changed names just to tell you.

Both my girls have unusual names (I think) in that I have only ever met one other person with each name.

Jude
Afton

I've only met one person with my name too, but it's mo well known, I think it's reasonably well used in America.

Strokethefurrywall Fri 21-Nov-14 21:05:53

I do have 2 boys with unusual names (well one with a less commonly used "name" and another with an unusual name), didn't look at baby books for either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now