Talk

Advanced search

just met someone I strongly dislike who has my baby name - what would you do?

(10 Posts)
MrsMarcJacobs Fri 21-Nov-14 04:28:03

I am pregnant and have a baby name that I really like. unfortunately this week I met someone at the office who was very rude and condescending who I've taken a dislike to for these reasons - they have the name that I like sad what would you do - would you ditch the name for another one?

Whenwillwe3meetagain Fri 21-Nov-14 04:39:43

Are you likely to see them again? What name?

HellKitty Fri 21-Nov-14 04:48:06

I would ditch but that's me. Unless it is going to be shortened or changed slightly?

With my first I was set on a name then heard this really rough mother screaming 'this name' at her son. So I found another. This turned out to belong to the dog who belonged to the unit next to my work who'd come into ours dribbling and chewing on a cow leg. So it was name #3. He's 17 now and I still think of what he was almost called and why he wasn't.

purpleroses Fri 21-Nov-14 05:08:59

If you'll not really be seeing them much more then worth trying to forget them and keep the name - once your DC is born it'll soon seem like their name.

But if you'll be seeing this colleague regularly it could be more of a problem

burgatroyd Fri 21-Nov-14 08:16:49

hellkitty love ur username BTW! Do you regret not calling him first choice?

HellKitty Fri 21-Nov-14 08:20:21

No, never regretted it! His name suits him and IS him. The first name I wanted is actually on one of these threads being discussed as chavvy grin

spamanderson Fri 21-Nov-14 09:36:15

Keep the name one he back burner, keep revisiting it and see how it feels. My dd2 got her 3rd name choice. She was a name I absolutely loved but after a while, it didn't fit. Used the 2nd choice name and again loved it, was completely set on it, then mum came round and rubbed my belly and said the name, I could feel it wasn't right! So into name 3 and it suits her down to the ground. Her name is how I describe her, she's a unique, crazy and wonderful child.
If you're not going to see this person again or its a name you absolutely love, don't write it off, keep trying it out, you'll know if it's the 'one' or not.

squoosh Fri 21-Nov-14 10:20:14

Have them assassinated and then erase them from your memory.

MrsMarcJacobs Sun 23-Nov-14 13:17:47

Ha ha, thanks all. I was a bit gutted. No, I won't see her on a regular basis but I think it was meant to happen as it is also a name I have discovered that is on my best friend's baby name list so maybe out's worked out for the best. Will have to get thinking though about other baby names. squoosh I like your thinking although would not like to give birth in prison!

MyOwnJungle Sun 23-Nov-14 13:21:22

i would use it anyway. if she thinks 'oh, that person i'm supercilious to called her baby my name' I think it would send the message that you haven't even noticed or didn't care that she was condescending to you. as eleanor roosevelt said nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. or something like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now