Talk

Advanced search

Doris Mae?

(104 Posts)
LadyCurd Wed 19-Nov-14 09:55:16

Me and DH came up with this name in the pub last night for our hypothetical 3rd and last. We both really like Doris and it fits in with our other DD's names, but then realised it sounds a bit like Doris Day! Mae would just be a middle name not a hypenated name so would it really matter? Or it is does can you suggest one syllable middle names that go with Doris? We already have a Bea.

I actually like Dorit, Tessa, Ivy, Violet, Edith but all vetoed by DH (though there is a glimpse of hope on Violet but one of our other DD's is also a flower name)

Basically think old lady names especially with an s sound in.
smile

(Hypothetical boy name is Alfred John)

loislines Wed 19-Nov-14 10:19:25

Doris is a great name. I'd spell Mae May but don't think the Doris Day thing matters at all.

Doris Ruth
Doris Rose

JammyTodger Wed 19-Nov-14 10:23:19

My nan was Doris May and was fabulous so it sounds good to me. I'm lining up Doris as a middle name for DC2 if it's a girl.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 19-Nov-14 10:25:24

Don't do it.

granny names are awful I don't know why people do it to their kids.

Riverland Wed 19-Nov-14 10:25:54

Good grief. Doris is an awful comedy name for a dog.

Ruth is a cold hard monosyllable, sounds like a bark or a reproach.

Doris may do what?

Nishky Wed 19-Nov-14 10:28:06

I think it is perfect I love Mae spelled like that.

Hope you third isn't a boy though wink

Nishky Wed 19-Nov-14 10:29:40

Perhaps Giles and River would like to give us their children's names for analysis!

MaelstromOfLunacy Wed 19-Nov-14 10:31:09

Ann
Kate
Lynn
Beth
Faye

Riverland Wed 19-Nov-14 10:31:48

I'm not here asking for opinions, Nishky so your prim comment aimed at me is utterly misplaced.

MaelstromOfLunacy Wed 19-Nov-14 10:31:51

Or if you like John maybe Jane? Or Joan?

Nishky Wed 19-Nov-14 10:33:10

Perhaps you should give your opinion in a pleasant fashion River, or are you incapable.

JeromeSqualor Wed 19-Nov-14 10:33:20

sorry it is awful and isn't it spelt 'May'?
why would you do that to a child - it is not 'granny chic' it is downright cruel

Nishky Wed 19-Nov-14 10:33:55

And it's only prim because my true opinion of you would get deleted.

Nishky Wed 19-Nov-14 10:35:00

Jerome 'May' is spelled May. 'Mae' is spelled Mae. Hth

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 19-Nov-14 10:35:12

I'm not posting my kids names. We like them I'm. Sure some might not. However they are names that don't forget about the age 5-59 where they aren't a cute baby with cute twee granny chic names and oaps with typical oap/granny names. In between there are children and young adults who have to live with it.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Wed 19-Nov-14 10:35:51

I like Doris but can't bear Mae. What's up with May? I also like Betsy and Betty.

Riverland Wed 19-Nov-14 10:37:34

Nishky this is the interwebs. Not everyone phrases things things the way Nishky decides is naice.

Get off my back.

JeromeSqualor Wed 19-Nov-14 10:38:53

there is no such spelling as 'Mae' nishky it is just made up by people trying to be original.
On the other hand each to their own. but to inflict 'Doris Mae' on a child is just dreadful.
Doris may what?

Nishky Wed 19-Nov-14 10:43:07

Jerome perhaps you would like to google before making comments like that grin

JeromeSqualor Wed 19-Nov-14 10:44:01

I have better things to google tbh grin

KatoPotato Wed 19-Nov-14 10:44:28

Betty won't but Doris may!

squoosh Wed 19-Nov-14 10:58:01

Doris is truly horrendous.

All the other names on your list are better than Doris. Actually I suspect all other names in the world are better than Doris.

VoyagesOfAStarship Wed 19-Nov-14 11:03:29

I LOVE Doris (and nickname Dorrie - cuuuute!) but I'd ditch the Mae - EVERYONE seems to use it as a middle name or hyphenated bit these days, and it cheapens the Doris IMO.

If I was using Doris, though I adore it myself I would give the baby a more "normal" middle name like Rose or Emily in case she wanted to use that instead when older.

VoyagesOfAStarship Wed 19-Nov-14 11:06:43

Don't be daft Jerome have you not heard of Mae West? If it's made up, it was made up a hell of a long time ago.

(And all names were made up once upon a time, you know)

My only objection to Mae is it's all over the place.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 19-Nov-14 11:11:00

I think granny chic is well and truly on the way out, so Doris would be a mistake. But it's ok ish.

I really really loathe Mae. I think May is boring and done to death, but basically fine, but Mae is just hideous. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now