Talk

Advanced search

Clara for girl; Patrick for boy

(12 Posts)
akorda Tue 18-Nov-14 19:14:55

New to this Baby Names thread tho' long time lurker!

Currently cooking child no. 2 ( don't know if DS or DD) and wondering about the above names.
Love the name Clara and only know one - don't think it's popular.
Like Patrick and also don't know any. Only problem is we have no Irish heritage so not sure if it's inappropriate to use it. Also hate all shortenings: Pat, Paddy, Rick. Would it inevitably be shortened?
Anyway, any opinions on either welcome!

burgatroyd Tue 18-Nov-14 19:18:13

I don't know any Claras or Patricks. I donk think it will be shortened.

Both fab names

Bellejessleo Tue 18-Nov-14 19:18:14

I love both those names..I'm a Claire in real life, if I wasn't then Clara would be on my list. It's really beautiful and classic I think.
I love Patrick too :-)

serin Tue 18-Nov-14 22:10:54

I have a 13yr old Patrick, all his friends call him Patrick even on the rugby pitch. smile There is only one other boy with his name in his school year.

Clara is a gorgeous name.

ashesandfire Tue 18-Nov-14 22:15:10

I love Clara. It would be really high up there for a future dd but it sounds really bad with our sn sad boooo
I like Patrick too but also would be put off by the potential nns

DramaAlpaca Tue 18-Nov-14 22:18:46

Clara & Patrick are both lovely.

I think it's fine to use Patrick if you've no Irish heritage, and I don't think it would inevitably be shortened. I agree with you about not liking the short forms. I ended up giving one of my sons Patrick as a middle name instead of a first name for that reason - you don't shorten a middle name!

wigglesrock Tue 18-Nov-14 23:11:56

One of my daughters goes to school with 2 Patricks. It's never been shortened, they're 10 now.

ngocbao2512 Wed 19-Nov-14 15:56:43

I think
Clara Meaning : Bright; famous, Derived from Latin, Clara means 'clear', 'bright' and 'famous'., Illustrious
Patrick Meaning :A popular name in Ireland, since it is the name of the countries patron saint. The name means 'nobleman' and is derived from the Latin 'patricius'. famous Patrick's include Patrick Swayze and Patrick Stewart., Noble, Patrician,

tammytoby Wed 19-Nov-14 16:35:07

Clara is lovely. Fairly popular round here, but not top 10 popular.

Patrick is nice too, but I also dislike Pat, Patty or Rick. You could try to not shorten it?

clarissepink Wed 19-Nov-14 16:38:23

Clara's a great name to have, I should know, it's my name wink I've also never met another Clara so it's nice to feel unique!

Love Patrick too.

CormoranStrike Wed 19-Nov-14 18:18:13

Patrick is lovely, Clara is not so nice, I think Grace is a nice match to Patrick.

jellybeans Wed 19-Nov-14 18:19:31

Great names smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now