Talk

Advanced search

Atticus

(17 Posts)
purplebiro Tue 18-Nov-14 11:12:45

I really like it but can't stop thinking about Atticus Hoy as constantly referred to in Bad Education. It's a bit of an obscure reference and will probably disappear when the series does but what if it ends up being a massive cult hit? Thoughts?

Flo99Ora Tue 18-Nov-14 11:18:08

Really dislike Atticus, sorry

Heels99 Tue 18-Nov-14 11:18:53

Have you been watching downtown abbey?

financialwizard Tue 18-Nov-14 11:22:12

I love that name. My instant thought was of 'To kill a mocking bird'.

susiedaisy Tue 18-Nov-14 11:26:40

Not keen I'm afraid, it reminds me of the word attic

MuscatBouschet Tue 18-Nov-14 11:27:36

I adore it. DH refused to let me use it.

Somersetgirl1990 Tue 18-Nov-14 11:29:27

I love it too.. Makes me think of to kill a mockingbird too... Not allowed to use it though hmm

carbolicsoaprocked Tue 18-Nov-14 11:34:24

I LOVE this name, it reminds me of the fantastic character from Mockingbird too. I personally wouldn't use it as a first name (a bit unusual for me I think) but it would be great as a middle name.

SirChenjin Tue 18-Nov-14 11:36:03

I love it - Atticus Finch was an amazing character, and who wouldn't want to be named after him? Don't watch Bad Education, so no idea who Atticus Hoy is.

DataColour Tue 18-Nov-14 11:49:36

Well I love it and I always wanted to call a DS Atticus since I read Mockingbird when I was a teenager. Luckily DH likes it too, so My DS is called Atticus! He is 6 now and people are always fascinated by his name and nobody has ever said anything negative about it. Never ever regretted this name choice.
Funnily enough, it never reminds me of the word attic, no connection to Atticus at all. It reminds me more of the word Attica...as in the old name for Athens...Atticus literally means man of Attica.

MamaMed Tue 18-Nov-14 11:58:58

Love it because of Atticus Finch envy

Fevertree Tue 18-Nov-14 12:00:45

beautiful name, wanted this for my dc1 but she's a girl! Go for it, if you love it you will regret not using it.

purplebiro Tue 18-Nov-14 12:08:21

Great - I want it after Atticus Finch too. Hadn't thought about the Downton connection - we've been thinking about Clementine for a girl too - DP absolutely hates Downton and refuses to watch it with me, imagine the trouble I'll get into when he realises I've reflected my fangirl status in his kids' names ;)

loislines Tue 18-Nov-14 12:49:22

Atticus and Clementine are brilliant names. I love them but OH just laughed at me when I suggested them... I would think of Atticus Finch too (and the adorable pet rat I had as a child, but that probably doesn't help! ).

DeeBee19 Tue 18-Nov-14 12:53:59

No one will remember the Bad Education link...
Love the name, it's classic but not popular...the perfect combo IMO

itfcbabe Tue 18-Nov-14 12:55:06

I love Atticus but hubby says no.
Love Cassius and Caspian as well.
Clementine is up there for me for a girl

Guin1 Tue 18-Nov-14 13:58:38

I'm another fan of Atticus, thwarted by DH. I don't watch Bad Education or Downton, so the only connection I make is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now