Talk

Advanced search

Names similar to Tristan?

(24 Posts)
daholster Mon 17-Nov-14 22:14:56

Hello, I am 19 weeks and anomaly scan is next week so hoping all is well and we can find out the gender. At 12+4 they said they thought it was more likely a boy but not to buy anything! We are rubbish with boy names. We liked Monty but after comments from friends (who didn't know we were considering it!) we just don't feel we could, we were unsure already.

We really like Tristan but 2 problems; we don't like one of its meanings - sorrow - and we have a friend (we no longer see) who had a 23 week a angel baby she called Tristan. So we just can't and don't want to use it.

But we love the name. Can you think of anything similar? Not Christian though - we are in no way religious and it feels odd to us. Meanings don't really have to matter, it's just that the sadness of that one in particular.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2tired2bewitty Mon 17-Nov-14 22:17:08

Jerome
Edmund
Gerard
Sebastian
All feel similar to me

SwedishEdith Mon 17-Nov-14 22:19:45

Crispin
Alistair
Christopher

tywysogesgymraeg Mon 17-Nov-14 22:22:26

Christian
Tristram
Justin

Gumnast2014 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:24:51

Hayden

tammytoby Mon 17-Nov-14 22:30:58

Quentin

verelab Mon 17-Nov-14 22:34:38

Julian?
Theodore?
Torin?
Miles?

WhistlingPot Mon 17-Nov-14 22:54:01

Sebastian and Crispin are my favourites so far.

Austin
Lance

Ludways Mon 17-Nov-14 23:01:43

I know a 14 yo Tristan, he's lovely and in no way sorrowful, I'd go with it.

dorasee Mon 17-Nov-14 23:07:01

Torsten
Karsten
Marcus
Thurston

Lambstales Mon 17-Nov-14 23:09:12

Jasper

batmanandrobin Mon 17-Nov-14 23:12:34

Justin
Trent
Troy

FishWithABicycle Mon 17-Nov-14 23:14:35

Quentin
Jasper
Sebastian
Hugo
Marcus
Francis
Oscar

batmanandrobin Mon 17-Nov-14 23:14:46

or Ethan?
Senan?
Reuben?

Sophronia Mon 17-Nov-14 23:23:24

Travis
Fabian
Morgan
Drystan
Griffin
Damon
Maximilian
Sennen
Blaise
Torsten
Lorccan
Trevin
Stanley
Ethan
Caspian
Donovan
Soren
Dennis
Nathan
Harrison
Yestin (Cornish form of Justin)
Cillian
Lucian
Austin
Truman
Cyprian
Ivan
Marlon
Dylan
Tavish
Evan
Finnan
Orrin
Merlin
Curtis
Declan
Roman
Nevan
Ellis
Corbin
Stellan
Dorian
Lachlan
Stefan
Arran
Robin
Trenton
Reuben
Ivor
Corin
Larkin
Cassian
Marlin
Lewin
Rowan
Tobin
Damian
Sebastian
Lucan
Perran
Nolan
Struan
Thurston
Lewis

daholster Tue 18-Nov-14 08:11:45

Wow thanks for all your replies! Lots to think on...

eachtigertires Tue 18-Nov-14 11:56:50

Know a Tristan who has brothers trent, troy, trey and Travis.

hatsybatsy Tue 18-Nov-14 13:45:29

Bertram
Dominic
Alec
Gideon
Jolyon
Lorcan
Aidan
Finnian
Mylo

daholster Tue 18-Nov-14 14:09:08

If it helps our surname ends in -er. For this reason although I have always liked Jasper I don't like it with the surname... Two "-er"s...

His (if it is a he!) sibling's name is Kaitlin. We aren't Scottish or Irish, just plain English... We just liked the name and switched to K to make it look less Irish and to be able to shorten to Kate or Katy more easily. Names that are too Celtic just don't work for my dh unfortunately. I like names like Soren too but he just won't entertain them. He also vetoed Gabriel which I really like. * sigh *

Perran is an interesting one. He'll difficult veto that though! Am working on Rowan...

daholster Tue 18-Nov-14 14:47:31

Just realised I love Sylvan! Dh doesn't because it reminds him of Sylvanian families. * sigh * He likes Jack!!!

SwedishEdith Tue 18-Nov-14 20:10:29

What about Etienne? Love this name, although probably extremely pretentious to use if you've no French connectionsgrin

WhistlingPot Tue 18-Nov-14 21:41:02

Rowan's a fab name. I like Rueben too.

You'll get there! My DS2 was nameless for some time, poor thing, because DP & I couldn't agree! But I'm glad we waited 'til the right name came along. We love it (and so does DS2 smile ) and neither of us would change it for the world.

Sidge Tue 18-Nov-14 21:49:06

Sebastian
Tobias
Marcus
Simon
Rory

daholster Tue 18-Nov-14 22:08:31

Thanks for all your kind replies. I do like Rowan, he isn't that keen but hasn't vetoed it yet. I love lots of Italian names (eg Salvo) but he won't have any of them because they are Italian. I do get it but it's so restrictive! He wants not too outrageous but not common either just slightly unusual, English preferably with no particular religious connotations - I think he'd find Reuben "too Jewish"... He thinks people will make assumptions. I'm not sure how much that rally matters. Then once we think about a name he comes up with all the nicknames and how they might be picked on. Which is good but it's ott sometimes... I suggested Kit, and he said no, Kit Kat. Why would that matter?!

Anyway... We both liked Rory and Kaitlin would have been Rory if she had been a boy. Trouble is it's getting very popular, which is the only point on which I am the pain in the backside! I like Jack but have the same issue, multiplied by about a hundred!

Quite like Cassian - and he nearly entertained Cassius last time - but I'm not sure that Kaitlin and Cassian works... They don't quite fit together. Kaitlin and Rory do... It's probably because Kaitlin is pretty mainstream which makes me feel a bit annoyed! Having said that I still love it and wouldn't change it! She has a fairly unique middle name, I just can't imagine when she will get a chance to use it.

Anyway, long rant over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now