Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would this be silly with our existing DS's name?

(17 Posts)
Ivebeentangoed Sun 16-Nov-14 13:03:32

We are expecting our DC of unknown sex in January. We have one DS already called Max, full name Maximilian. He never gets called Maximilian in person but everyone knows that's his full title and it is on official forms etc. Day to day now though, he is Max.

We have agreed on three top names for a boy, agree on the third being 3rd but can't agree on the top two position. My DP has William as number 1 and I do love it but I have put it as second because I think Maximilian and William sounds a bit silly. They would be known as Max and William, but would feel a bit silly if I ever said them together and I do like Max's full title and would still like to use it occasionally.

What do you think?

Inkspellme Sun 16-Nov-14 13:16:03

I agree with you - both lovely names but just not together.

kelda Sun 16-Nov-14 13:31:01

Not a problem. They sound fine together. I know siblings with those names and it never occured to me that they didn't go together.

BringYourOwnSnowman Sun 16-Nov-14 13:36:23

I have never heard a max use his full name (except in Germany and they pronounce it in a really ugly way).

I don't think they sound that badly together either - especially if you aren't shouting the full names across the playground together!

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 16-Nov-14 13:38:16

Will you use a NN for William? Will and Max or Billy and Max sound fine together

Spanielpuppy Sun 16-Nov-14 13:39:33

They do sound similar in full but still go. They are more than likely to just become known as max and will.

Think your prob over thinking grin

ChippingInAutumnLover Sun 16-Nov-14 13:41:14

No, you can't have Maximilian and William, unless you vow to only ever call them Max and Will.

MrsCosmopilite Sun 16-Nov-14 13:44:39

Don't see the problem. They won't live at home forever so will not always be part of 'Maximillian and William'.
However, you say you don't know the gender? What girls names do you have?

MissBlennerhasset Sun 16-Nov-14 13:47:14

It doesn't matter, they're two separate entities. Unless one day they become a pop duo in which case it would really work.

Lunastarfish Sun 16-Nov-14 13:49:56

Ed Milliband's children are Daniel and Samuel. I always thought that was odd.

Castlemilk Sun 16-Nov-14 18:38:02

Oh nooo, sorry.

I wouldn't.

TheCraicDealer Sun 16-Nov-14 18:52:32

It's fine- William will inevitably get shorted to Will or something when he gets to school. So it'll be, "Will's brother, Max" or vice versa.

Think of how rarely you call your Max by the long version. Now try and imagine what possible scenario would occur that you would have to refer to your boys as "Maximilian and William". If you really like William then go for it, unless those two, three times you'd need to use both longer versions puts you off.

Bowlersarm Sun 16-Nov-14 19:02:04

I think it's fine. If you were insisting on Maximilian and William I would say possibly not, but Max and William, or Max and Will are good together.

Hassled Sun 16-Nov-14 19:07:42

I agree with you that Maximilian and William together is a bit much. But presumably 90+% of the time it would be Max and William?

RRJRJR Sun 16-Nov-14 20:17:12

Don't see it as a problem, it's going to be Max and William or Max and Will if William gets shorten (which I imagine it will do as most names do unless you are firm about it).

Think Max and Will is pretty cool as names for two brothers

Trisarahtops Sun 16-Nov-14 20:20:44

If you plan on calling him Will, perhaps you could use Wilfred as his 'proper' name instead of William?

Maximilian and Wilfred sound good together.

Ivebeentangoed Mon 17-Nov-14 12:47:12

Thanks all, interesting to see the responses as I thought most would say no! I would use William in full myself even though I wouldnt be against people calling him Will. But to me it'd be Max and William.

Trisarah its more William that im set on but now you mention it, I love Wilfred with Wilf as a nn, although npt sure dp would go for it, will ask...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now