Talk

Advanced search

Love Bea but not Beatrice - any suggestions please?

(31 Posts)
MsMittens Fri 14-Nov-14 14:37:19

Hi all

We are expecting DC2 and don't know whether we are having a girl or a boy. We "used" our favorite girl's name with DD1 (Eden) so struggling with possible girls name.

I love the name Bea but feel that we are not a "Beatrice" or "Beatrix" kind of family.

Are there any other full names which can legitimately be shortened to Bea or dare I commit the cardinal sin of giving a child a nickname as a full name?

BirdhouseInYourSoul Fri 14-Nov-14 14:39:50

I know a Phoebe known as Bea.

loislines Fri 14-Nov-14 14:42:14

I know a Belinda who is Bea for short. Probably any name that starts with a B could theoretically be nicknamed Bea...

theonlygothinthevillage Fri 14-Nov-14 14:44:44

You could choose any name but use Bea as a nickname. But a name beginning with B would be logical. If you've dismissed Beatrice and Beatrix, there's also the Spanish version, Beatriz (also a character in Much Ado About Nothing, so is rooted in UK history too!)

Lunastarfish Fri 14-Nov-14 14:47:05

Belinda
Bianca
Beyonce.....

Sophronia Fri 14-Nov-14 14:51:24

Any name that starts with B.

Also:

Tabea
Abigail
Belphoebe
Beata
Bibiana
Robina
Sabina
Rubina
Bia
Bianca
Bijou
Sabine

burgatroyd Fri 14-Nov-14 14:53:33

Dumb question but Bea pronounced bee or be-ah?

MsMittens Fri 14-Nov-14 14:58:48

Pronounced Bee.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Was wondering about the any name beginning with B thing and whether that was too contrived.

Had not considered Beatriz. Whilst I appreciate Beyoncé, I am not sure that I could go so far as to name my daughter after her smile.

Main reason for doubting whether we are a Beatrice kind of family is out best friends and our only IRL baby name sounding boards said yes love Bea but not sure you guys suit Beatrice/trix hmm

burgatroyd Fri 14-Nov-14 14:59:06

I love Bibiana and Bianca. Good list sophronia!

burgatroyd Fri 14-Nov-14 15:06:38

I like Tris as a nn for Beatrice, like Divergent

theonlygothinthevillage Fri 14-Nov-14 15:07:38

our only IRL baby name sounding boards said yes love Bea but not sure you guys suit Beatrice/trix

Bollocks to that :D

IME once the child is a couple of months old, it's difficult to think of him/her not having the name that they have. Go with what you love, is my advice.

CountBapula Fri 14-Nov-14 15:10:21

1. I know a Bee, short for Abigail.
2. Don't tell anyone what names you're considering. They'll only say stupid things that'll put you off. They're less likely to do that once baby's here - if they still do, they're twats.

MsMittens Fri 14-Nov-14 15:14:46

theonly grin you nearly made me spit tea at the computer.

We normally don't canvass opinions IRL but DH had a few glasses of wine and our friends were over for dinner so he let it slip -while I gave him death stares--

theonlygothinthevillage Fri 14-Nov-14 16:23:04

Happy to oblige grin

PuppyMummy Fri 14-Nov-14 18:13:41

id go with Bea if you like it.

my baby has a similar name in that it has a long version but we registered him as the short 'nickname' part of it. we did um and ah over registering the long version so he had a 'sunday' name if he ever wanted to use it but neither of us liked it enough and as we would only ever use the short version it seemed silly.

threepiecesuite Fri 14-Nov-14 18:17:13

I know a Bethany who is called Bee by everyone. She suits it.

AnimalsAreMyFriends Fri 14-Nov-14 18:17:50

I have a friend called Bridget who is a Bea. It really suits her!

BillieViper Fri 14-Nov-14 18:21:43

Beata or Beate (bay-ah-tuh)

LadySlipper Fri 14-Nov-14 18:29:09

My bro has a Brenna that they call Bee.

TimefIies Fri 14-Nov-14 21:02:12

I know a Beverley that's a Bee

mathanxiety Mon 17-Nov-14 06:24:57

Thisbe
Bridget
Beulah

Vagndidit Mon 17-Nov-14 06:27:10

My grandmother was a Bridget who was more commonly called Bea.

HelloItsMeFell Mon 17-Nov-14 06:33:30

If you spell it Bee you can just pick anything beginning with B.

Or just call her Bea. Why not?

Sleepyhoglet Mon 17-Nov-14 06:34:55

Brea is a Scottish name similar to be

HelloItsMeFell Mon 17-Nov-14 06:35:43

Hebe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now