Talk

Advanced search

Kiwi inspired boys middle name ideas (New Zealand kiwi not the fruit!)

(26 Posts)
johendy Tue 11-Nov-14 21:30:32

Our DS1 's middle name is his grandfather's, DH's dad's name. If DC2 is a girl she'll have my mum's name as her middle name. But if we're having a boy I don't know what we'll choose and we need ideas. My dad's name isn't an option as we've had a difficult relationship. And there aren't really any more family names.

I was thinking of a NZ name to reflect his heritage (I'm a kiwi married to a Brit likely to live in the UK for a long time). But the obvious names are Maori and I have no real Maori connection. One idea was Nelson, as that's my home City.

I need ideas please!

SurfsUp1 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:19:04

Fern
Silvia

Maori names?

I'm afraid most of the kiwis I know have terrible names and are very big on ewneek spellings for their chdrens names so I'm not much help. wink

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Tue 11-Nov-14 22:22:04

I like Nelson! Or what about Hamilton? Hawke?

Dolly80 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:22:38

A lot of Kiwi's I know have quite traditional names - Benjamin, Michael, Andrew and so on. Are there any famous Kiwi's you can draw on for inspiration? Or places other than Nelson?

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 11-Nov-14 22:23:19

Nelson is a great name.

What about using the name of a famous New Zealander? Ernest (Rutherford), Edmund (Hillary) - both a bit "grandad chic" - or a sportsman like Jonah (Lomu)

Dolly80 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:25:22

I thought Nelson was good too - a mix of Kiwi (the place) & British (the Admiral - who I imagine the place is named after)

Gennz Wed 12-Nov-14 07:14:15

I'm an NZer too. Almost everyone I know has gone for very traditional English/Scottish names.

I liked Tenzing (on the Ed Hilary theme) but DH wasn't keen (we are likely going for Atticus as a middle name). I like Rutherford too. (And wasn't Ernest Rutherford from Nelson?)

Hmm, other inspirational NZers for boys' names ... Charles Upham? Willie Apiata? Michael Joseph Savage?

Sheppard (Kate), Mansfield (Katherine), Batten (Jean)?

Smugfearnleyshittingstool Wed 12-Nov-14 07:36:45

I love the name Nelson! We lives there for a few years, an amazing place, so called our dog Nelson, and tortoises Tasman and tahuna after tahunannui (sp) and able Tasman area. Kaiteriteri lovely too! Go for Nelson.

SurfsUp1 Wed 12-Nov-14 07:57:21

Nelson is really nice! There's the Simpsons character of the same name, so you need to consider whether that would be a reference for your circle of family/friends and if so, are you ok with that?

PenelopeLane Wed 12-Nov-14 08:15:50

Just wanted to pop in to say that if you wanted to use a Maori name, you shouldn't let being non-Maori stop you. My DH isn't Maori but has a Maori first name and loves the connection it gives him to NZ and how it is a good conversation starter when overseas

wattlegirl Wed 12-Nov-14 09:03:22

I think that Nelson could work rather nicely as a middle name and will give him a connection to your homeland.

Thinking out side the box I had the thought of using Cloud - you know as in "the land of the long white cloud." I admit it is rather out there and I am quite surprised that I am suggesting such a name.

If you think it is a silly idea and it probably is - just write me off as another one of those crazy Aussies!

SurfsUp1 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:19:18

Haha Wattle or Nero as in All Black!? grin

Gennz Wed 12-Nov-14 10:15:48

I agree Penelope I like the idea of using a Maori name. My family have lived in NZ for 170+ years so I think of myself as a Pakeha NZer,not european (although I don't have a drop of Maori blood) - but the Maori culture is an important part of what makes us NZers. A friend of mine (also NZ European) recently gave her daughter a Maori middle name, named after a place that has a special significance for her family, I think it's v cool.

debijon11 Wed 12-Nov-14 16:39:18

Areta
Airini

Rua
Amiri

RiverTam Wed 12-Nov-14 16:45:20

Nelson is good, or Napier? Or Peter (after Jackson grin)?
Franz Josef? Fox?

Sophronia Wed 12-Nov-14 17:39:45

How about a name that is popular in New Zealand that isn't so common in the UK. All of these were in the top 100 there in 2013:

Hunter
Cooper
Lachlan
Braxton
Flynn
Ryder
Felix
Jesse
Beau
Archer
Joel
Declan
Phoenix
Arlo
Kingston
Angus
Roman

PenelopeLane Wed 12-Nov-14 19:48:01

Gennz See I think that's neat. DH has a French friend who lived in NZ a year and loved it so much he went back to France and called his DS Tane which I think is neat.

Here's a link to the top Maori names for 2013 anyway smile

www.essentialmums.co.nz/baby/caring-for-baby/10304906/Most-popular-Maori-baby-names

My DS has a Maori name, although am Maori myself. BUT I don't think that matters - the name we chose isn't a family name or anything, just one we liked. And as I said up thread, DH (and his brother) have Maori names, and are Pakeha NZers

johendy Thu 13-Nov-14 08:33:11

I been thinking about using a Maori name, I love Tane, I like the way it sounds and I grew up with a lovely Tane. But it's likely his first and last name will also be short sounding 2 syllables names. Am I over thinking it?

PenelopeLane Thu 13-Nov-14 08:54:07

I don't see how it would matter! I think it's a great name, and the explanation of it being God of the forest and birds seems fitting for a NZ name too

DrVSL Thu 13-Nov-14 09:32:59

Richie (as in McCaw)?

honeysucklejasmine Thu 13-Nov-14 10:41:16

Dan or Carter?

schokolade Thu 13-Nov-14 16:07:24

Russell?

schokolade Thu 13-Nov-14 16:07:56

Or Stewart (island)

PineappleLump Fri 14-Nov-14 23:07:17

It's so O-for-awesome to see so many kiwis on mumsnet!

I'm kiwi and my husband is English (we live in UK) and have two boys with utterly pretentious but gorgeous English names, so can't offer suggestions from my own experience.

But, I have lovely pakeha friends back home who have 3 boys with anglo first names and maori middle names and they sound gorgeous together. Their middle names are Wiremu, Rangi and Manu (I realise Wiremu is not trad Maori, but I really like it!)

dalekanium Fri 14-Nov-14 23:15:22

In so wishing I had thought to give a NZ name. (European, but lived there a while.)

I love these.
What a fab thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now