Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Vivien?

(26 Posts)
beachbummer Mon 10-Nov-14 10:19:16

Just found out that DD2 due in March is another girl, we already have a girl Eva. Finding it very difficult to agree on names with DH, he suggested Vivien/Vivian/Vivienne last night and I quite like it.

Any thoughts, I like older names and really love Martha and Edith but DH doesn't.

Whats the views on Vivien?

Thanks

Wonc Mon 10-Nov-14 10:21:04

I think it's beautiful.

WowserBowser Mon 10-Nov-14 10:21:57

I like it. Reminds me of Pretty Woman though!

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Mon 10-Nov-14 10:23:04

Really like it smile Elegant and not overly used. (also like your other choices too)

basgetti Mon 10-Nov-14 10:23:07

I love it. I'm expecting a girl in a few weeks and we have had a name picked for ages, but I saw Vivien on a thread last week and it's thrown a spanner in the works! DP is worried though that it would be shortened to Viv so that is putting me off slightly. I also like Edith, and think Edie as a shortened name would be really cute.

beachbummer Mon 10-Nov-14 10:28:16

Thanks ladies, I hadn't thought about pretty woman smile

Basgetti I love Edie part of the reason I like Edith so much. I think the nn would use for Vivien would be Vivvy, I can see our 3 year old using that anyway smile

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Mon 10-Nov-14 10:31:57

Or even beautiful Vivien Leigh smile

basgetti Mon 10-Nov-14 10:33:40

Aww Vivvy is lovely. Our chosen name is Evelyn which I do love, I just keep changing my mind every five minutes. Edie would be no good for us because DS is called Eddie!

AugustaGloop Mon 10-Nov-14 10:39:51

I like the name. I know 2 and both get shortened to Vivi (veevee) which sounds a bit too like Eva.

Sophronia Mon 10-Nov-14 13:32:20

Vivien is lovely, especially spelled this way.

Legionofboom Mon 10-Nov-14 13:36:33

I will go against the grain and say that I think Vivien (or any spelling variant) is a truly horrible name.

I just cannot see the attraction and Viv/Vivvie are even worse.

But I can see I am in the minority (on this thread at least)

Ludways Tue 11-Nov-14 00:36:55

I know a Vivienne, horrid woman, I can't get away from the connection so I don't like it.

I love Edith though, it was my grandmothers name, wonderful beautiful woman inside and out.

PunkAssMoFo Tue 11-Nov-14 09:37:52

Vivienne spelling for me, as vivien remind me of the young ones.

Edith will always be clunky sounding to me, Martha is a bit better. I don't know why as I do like some old lady names (eg maud, Margaret. Nancy & sylvie), but dislike others. Horses for courses!

persepolis123 Thu 13-Nov-14 12:47:55

I like it. We are also expecting a girl in March and Vivienne is on our shortlist.

Mumto3dc Thu 13-Nov-14 12:59:12

It's my dds middle name, after her late grandmother. I think it's really classy, ours is spelt Vivienne which I think is a really pretty spelling.

TobyLerone Thu 13-Nov-14 13:10:36

I love Vivienne. It was on our list for DD2 and sometimes I still wish we'd used it, despite loving the name we chose.

burgatroyd Thu 13-Nov-14 17:46:11

Its OK.

What about Sylvia, Mabel, Maudie or Doris?

AnitaManeater Thu 13-Nov-14 17:47:31

It's my middle name and I love it

skylark2 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:16:35

I think it's a nice name but fails my "far too many common spellings" test.

My own name has about 6 common variants and I've spent half my life correcting people, sometimes on really quite important documents. It's a PITA.

My own kids have names with one standard spelling.

BerryMood Thu 13-Nov-14 18:38:11

Love Vivienne. My Vivienne is 1 week old today smile

DramaAlpaca Thu 13-Nov-14 22:29:17

I love Vivien, and prefer that spelling. It would go beautifully with Eva.

Not a fan of Edith or Martha.

TheNewStatesman Thu 13-Nov-14 23:22:37

It's nice, and not used too much either.

Smukogrig Thu 13-Nov-14 23:24:00

Love it and the way u spell it best way

BOFster Thu 13-Nov-14 23:24:10

Vivien is a gorgeous name. Totally reminds me of Vivien Leigh.

beachbummer Fri 14-Nov-14 20:11:45

Thanks for all your comments I think it's definitely our top name at the moment, My surname is quite unusual and I have to spell out quite a bit so I'm used to that and don't really mind it. DD will have DH name so hopefully won't have a double whammy of spelling things out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now