Talk

Advanced search

Really need help here, am getting depressed...

(14 Posts)
shits Mon 10-Nov-14 08:10:19

h and i can't seem to agree on what to name ds. dd wanted to call him zachary which i liked but everyone in my family is against it and i think ILs also...she chose it because it would match with her name which also starts with z...the problem is also compounded in that it has to be a name with a good meaning in Islam but would not be a problematic name to pronounce in English. i thought zachary was a good choice as it was a variant of the prophet zachariah..but nobody liked it except for me and dd...anyway what do you all think of Harris? It means Lion or Guardian in Arabic and shouldn't be a problem to pronounce yes? but h hates it. the surname is also similar to harris, almost rhymes so would that be funny?? anyway, am at my wit's end and really need some help...

Leeds2 Mon 10-Nov-14 08:28:08

I would prefer Zachary to Harris.

DPotter Mon 10-Nov-14 08:29:30

How about Alistair ? Can be shortened to Ali with no problems on pronunciation. Also gives you and A and a Z which is nice. And don't share your thoughts with other people (other than DH and DD). You will always find people who don't like your ideas and it just makes the whole process that more difficult.
also IMO rhyming first names & surnames aren't funny after the first time of hearing.....

TheWhispersOfTheGods Mon 10-Nov-14 08:54:25

You poor thing you sound very stressed.

Your ILs get no say, they named their babies.

So you need Islamic or Arabic names which work in English?

here
here
here

And here are q few threads with lots of suggestions, a quick search will give lots more!

If you love Zachary, has DH said why he doesn't like it (outside of ILs opinion)? I'm not as much a fan of Harris, and i don't really like rhyming names - if you both loved it then not a deal breaker but if he's not keen then bigger deal iyswim.

IAmACircle Mon 10-Nov-14 09:06:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Haushinka Mon 10-Nov-14 09:11:23

Zachary is lovely and it's cute that DD will have named him.

What about Adam?

TiredNow Mon 10-Nov-14 09:44:59

Isaac?
Zayn?
Rafi / Raif?
Kamran?
Idris?
Malik?

HolgerDanske Mon 10-Nov-14 09:46:20

Zachary is a very good name.

No one else should be deciding on what you name your baby. If it's right for you, it's right.

cherrybombxo Mon 10-Nov-14 11:52:54

I love Harris and know a little boy with the name. I wouldn't call him that if the surname is similar though.

Legionofboom Mon 10-Nov-14 13:28:48

Has your DH made any suggestions for names he does like?

Stop asking for the opinions of wider family members and concentrate on finding a name that you and your DH like. It is cute that your DD has chosen a name but only if your DH doesn't hate it.

Rhyming first and surnames is not a great idea.

HolgerDanske Mon 10-Nov-14 14:54:51

Oh I didn't see that your DH doesn't like it..

Is it possible he is listening too much to his family? Or does he really not like it.

Maybe start using it now and hopefully he will get used to it and it will just seem right?

If my opinion matters (which it shouldn't smile) I think Zachary is much nicer than Harris.

Sleepingstarsmommy Mon 10-Nov-14 18:31:21

No advice just some sympathy from me. Being induced on Fri and finding it so hard to find a boys name that both my dh and his arabic family and me and my English family like. Like you I love Zach but his mom was literally in tears as she really didn't like it - dh doesn't mind it but does recognise that it is very old fashioned in his home country.

Just be aware that Islamically it doesn't have to be arabic - it is just important that the name has a nice meaning. Dh has agreed with me that as he will grow up here that an English name may be best but that hasn't stopped his family pulling faces.

Good luck and hopefully we'll both find something that we are happy with soon!!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Mon 10-Nov-14 18:41:36

I know two brothers Harris and hardy which are apparently Islamic names. Adam is nice and easy, Zechariah is lovely, I like bilal (billy) rayan and yassine.

vitaminC Mon 10-Nov-14 18:59:10

My kids' Muslim friends include:

Adam
Idris
Sammy
Danny
Elias
Farris
Omar
Rafi

All of which would work in English. I do think Harris could work, too, but it's not as nice as Zachary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now