Talk

Advanced search

Help me with boys names please?

(19 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 18:08:40

I love Torin (but it is possibly a little Lord of The Rings for the wider population)

Also like

Jasper - DH hates it and it also doesn't sound quite right with our surname
Rafe (DH hates it)
Sebastian (DH hates it)
Alexander (but is BIL's middle name and we don't get on. Is also my friends boyfriends name and I have become sick of the sound of it as a result).

I don't like names like Stanley, Hector, Reggie, Alfie etc.

Any suggestions for me to run past my (fussy) DH?

MaryWillis23 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:16:05

Robin, Reuben, Theo, Toby are my favs

MaryWillis23 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:16:50

forgot say- i LOVE Torin!!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 09-Nov-14 18:17:17

What has your DH suggested?

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 18:37:47

Thus far he has suggested - Michael and David.

One I seriously dislike and the other is very commonly used in my family so it would feel weird to use it.

He keeps saying I'm going to "burden" our child with a very unusual name as if I'm suggesting Sophocles Artorius hmm.

I like Reuben and may have some traction with that as he's an art buff and a bit fan of Rubens.

Torin is still my favourite. My mum keeps saying it is "effeminate" though which doesn't help.

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Nov-14 18:41:13

More mainstream nanes a bit similar to Torin - Toby, Tobias, Robin. I taught a Tobin once too.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 18:48:58

I love Toby. Love it. And Tobias.

Unfortunately my mum's very much alive dog is called Toby. I mean, I am glad he is still alive just a bit gutted he's called Toby!

Sophronia Sun 09-Nov-14 18:52:51

Torin is great. It's an Irish name meaning "chief", so certainly not too 'Lord of the Rings'.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 18:57:09

I know what it means Sophronia, it's why I like it so much it's just there's a dwarf called flipping Thorin. And think people are more likely to make that connection. Makes me annoyed every time I think about it!

legalalien Sun 09-Nov-14 18:58:53

Isuspect my taste is similar to your Dh's.

So going for a compromise based on children I know whose siblings have the names you like: Benjamin, Christian, Willem, Jonathan, Oliver, Luke, Christopher, or Gabriel.

legalalien Sun 09-Nov-14 18:59:37

Or possibly peter/ piers

Rivercam Sun 09-Nov-14 18:59:52

Rafferty
Dominic
Theodore/theo
Tobias
Lucas
Aiden
Louis
Hugo

legalalien Sun 09-Nov-14 19:03:28

Yy hugo. I know a Hugo and Jasper.

fancyacupoftea Sun 09-Nov-14 19:05:13

I'm a big LOTR fan and I wouldn't make the Torin/Thorin link!

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 09-Nov-14 19:19:46

It's nice to hear that fancy. Is my mum just being mean because the "it's effeminate" tactic didn't work?

DH likes Torin best of the boys names I've suggested so far. But given that he hates the others I'm not sure he likes it enough.

Thanks legal and River, I'll suggest Gabriel, Theodore, Lucas, Hugo and William. He's bound to like one of them! smile

Medibeagle Sun 09-Nov-14 19:20:06

How about Macsen or Conrad?

ButterflyOfFreedom Sun 09-Nov-14 19:37:51

Quentin
Casper
Rowan
Nicholas
Ezra
Owen
Jared
Xavier
Bertram
Gregor
Xander
Saul

lebkuchenlover Mon 10-Nov-14 08:35:15

Torin is great! Also like Reuben, Quentin and Rowan.

elotrolado Mon 10-Nov-14 20:28:32

Rohan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now