Talk

Advanced search

Why had Teddy got so popular all of a sudden?

(14 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sun 09-Nov-14 00:02:16

I love the name. My friends five year old is Ted. Just Ted not short for anything. All of a sudden I've heard of five Teddys in the past few months. Is there a show or someone popular at the moment? I'm not talking Edward just Teddy as a name.

ToodlesMcToodles Sun 09-Nov-14 00:04:13

Robbie Williams 2yr old DD is Teddy I think. Maybe has reminded people of the name.

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Nov-14 00:05:58

I'm talking boys though. Will Charlton suddenly take off too?

Sophronia Sun 09-Nov-14 01:33:40

There's the film Ted, and there was a Ted in Breaking Bad. That's all I can think of.

squoosh Sun 09-Nov-14 02:13:44

I don't think it has anything to do with Robbie Williams as his Teddy is a girl and most Teddys are boys. I think it's just part of the Edwardian names trend. People are looking for a vintage name that isn't one of the recently popular vintage names.

Teddy is the new Alfie.

higgle Sun 09-Nov-14 12:11:01

I know a wonderful female Teddy in her 90's, I think it is a lovely name and I'm pleased there are baby Teddys all over the place now.

looki Sun 09-Nov-14 14:16:27

I disagree with the poster who thinks the popularity of Teddy has nothing to do with Robbie Williams.

I think it has EVERYTHING to do with Robbie Williams.

RW choosing the name highlighted it to the masses. Using it for a girl may be considered too quirky for some but using a very traditional classic name like Edward appeals to many and is a perfect way to get to use quite a sweet name like Teddy.

EachandEveryone Sun 09-Nov-14 14:18:55

Will his Charlton be Charlie then?

squoosh Sun 09-Nov-14 14:36:20

Nah, maybe 10 years ago RW would have had that kind of influence but not these days. Teddy is just following in the well worn path of Alfie, Archie, Harry et al. a 19th century name ending in an ee sound.

squoosh Sun 09-Nov-14 14:37:03

Robbie Williams is following the masses rather than the other way round.

juneau Sun 09-Nov-14 14:39:23

I agree - I think people are looking for a new Alfie, Archie, whatever because those names have been used so much and become predictable. So people are looking for something different, but with a similar sound. And a sleb highlighting a name doesn't hurt either.

chickydoo Sun 09-Nov-14 14:50:31

My 12 year old Theodore is Teddy or Ted

Eastpoint Sun 09-Nov-14 14:54:39

The only Ted I know is 10. I know Neds who are mid-teens (& not Scottish).

looki Sun 09-Nov-14 15:34:11

Thats interesting to read nobody else thinks its popularity has been influenced by Robbie Williams. I really thought he contributed to it.

It is cutesy but I like it. I foresee it will be a case of familiarity breeding contempt soon enough though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now