Talk

Advanced search

Film reference....

(18 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Sat 08-Nov-14 10:50:11

So, DS1, who's 2.3yo, is Edward/Teddy/Ted.

DS2, born yesterday, may be a William. We like Bill/Billy as a nn rather than Will etc.

Is Bill and Ted too much? I think they're cool nns but...will people just shout "bodacious!!" at them??

Or is that us lot, and the boys' peers/generation won't have a clue?

EeekNumber4 Sat 08-Nov-14 11:54:40

I don't think it's a problem at all. It certainly wouldn't be the first thing that I thought of and I really don't think that their peers will have a clue about the film. Lovely names IMHO.

MadameJosephine Sat 08-Nov-14 11:58:49

Gorgeous names, I would never have made the connection until you pointed it out.

Congratulations on your bodacious new baby, totally excellent news grin

Cullercoats88 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:53:49

Hahaha bill and ted- I think it's amusing but I love the names and we chose names that had film references!!!
It will only be in the nn form that some people may make the connection so I wouldn't worry!!!

fancyacupoftea Sat 08-Nov-14 17:00:34

I think the film is old and now obscure enough to get away with it!

AnythingNotEverything Sat 08-Nov-14 17:05:35

Aren't they making a new film?

I think you could get away with because it would be Ted and Billy, rather than Bill and Ted, but if it will bother you then avoid it. It's always a risk.

BlueStarsAtNight Sun 09-Nov-14 09:08:58

I would definitely make the connection if you introduced them as Ted and Bill, and would probably find it a bit amusing for a few minutes. If people mentioning it will annoy you then don't do it, as it will happen. It isn't an obscure film to people in their 30's now, it's a classic! They are lovely names though, and once you know children with those names it will just be 'them'. It would only be mildly amusing the first time you hear it.

minkymuskyslyoldstoaty Sun 09-Nov-14 09:23:06

i would make the connection.

honestly i would go for something else.

fattycow Sun 09-Nov-14 10:12:59

I would not make that connection at all!

StetsonsAreCool Sun 09-Nov-14 10:17:28

I would definitely make the connection, and it would make me grin every time I heard their names together grin

Camsie30 Sun 09-Nov-14 10:18:47

Love it

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 09-Nov-14 10:18:54

A very narrow age group will smile a lot ! It's a cool combination.

Madcatgirl Sun 09-Nov-14 10:19:49

My friend has Ted and will, she calls them bill and Ted and it's cool. The kids their age though have literally no idea what we are talking about.

cherrybombxo Mon 10-Nov-14 11:50:57

I wouldn't, but that's because I don't like Bill very much. I'm a fan of Will though smile

Bill and Ted is definitely too much of a movie connection, I'd avoid!

Only1scoop Mon 10-Nov-14 11:54:22

I'd have a chuckle at meeting a Bill and Ted

Both great names though

"Excellent" in fact grin

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Mon 10-Nov-14 11:58:54

I'd make the connection, but it's a good connection, not one that would have people laughing at them, more with them, if that makes sense. I can think of worse naming issues than having lots of people say 'Excellent!' and 'Bodacious!' on first meeting a child.

They're both lovely names and go well together. Congratulations!

shakemysilliesout Mon 10-Nov-14 12:47:43

It's a good association and nice names. I love it- rufus for baby 3? (have I remembered his name right?)

TheHorseHasBolted Tue 11-Nov-14 17:08:23

I think the same as Anything - because Bill is the younger one, people will think of them as ted and Bill, not Bill and Ted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now