Talk

Advanced search

Amelia - too popular? And thoughts on other girl names

(14 Posts)
Chatty987 Fri 07-Nov-14 16:17:32

I had my heart on Amelia but when I found out it was number 1 girls� name in 2013, it�s put me off � worried it will date (and have feeling it might stay at the top for a while). Any thoughts on that front? I like strong classic names which are feminine and possibly with nn potential if it's a long name.

Others we like though no out right winner:

Sophia
Alexandra
Arabella
Layla
Camilla (love this but Parker Bowles puts me off...)

I really like 3 syllable names so any inspiration for those and views on the above?

Thank you!

Sophronia Fri 07-Nov-14 16:40:50

I really like Alexandra, it's classic and won't date to any particular time period.

gnlight Fri 07-Nov-14 16:48:21

I wouldn't let popularity put you off if you love a name, you will regret it if you don't use it. I have only ever come across 1 in all the many baby and toddler classes I've attended over the last three years!

Lunastarfish Fri 07-Nov-14 17:20:23

My sil has an Emilia, that spelling is not so common

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Fri 07-Nov-14 17:22:27

It would definitely put me off. I do think huge popularity takes the shine off a name.

I love Camilla, and don't think of Parker Bowles. It's classic, strong and unusual.

thecaroline Fri 07-Nov-14 17:28:25

While Amelia is a fine name, I wouldn't use because of its popularity. I like its style, though, and would use an alternative, classic name in the same style. Here are some suggestions:

Louisa
Susannah
Francesca
Helena
Virginia

and here are my opinions on your other options:
Sophia - this is super common, at least in the US. I imagine it will date a badly, if not worse, than Amelia.
Alexandra - this is a nice name that I don't hear very often anymore. It feels more serious and substantial than Amelia.
Arabella - I don't like it. It seems kind of pretentious. Of the -bel names, I prefer Annabel or Isabel.
Layla - I just don't like it. I have no good reason.
Camilla - see Arabella.

Mustangspirit Fri 07-Nov-14 17:33:33

I know a Camilla and I have never thought of CP-B in relation to her.

I love Amelie but Amelia is a little over used imho.

curiousgeorgie Fri 07-Nov-14 17:37:11

Alexandra is beautiful but I think it's the number one girls guess for Kate Middletons future child so don't know if that bothers you?

If you love Amelia, how about Emilia or Amelie?

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 07-Nov-14 18:08:40

I don't like Amelia due to it's alternative medical meaning.

Arabella and Alexandra are both very nice.

SpannersInTheToolbox Fri 07-Nov-14 19:19:50

Amelia isn't pleasant. It sounds whiny to my ears is very popular and will most definitely date.

Alexandra is lovely.

burgatroyd Fri 07-Nov-14 19:32:36

Camilla vote here.

How about Camellia?

Chatty987 Sat 08-Nov-14 11:04:58

Thanks all. Camellia is a great suggestion....added to the list!

DanyStormborn Sat 08-Nov-14 16:19:05

Popularity puts me off too. I love Amelia but it is just too popular for me.

I like Sophia, I think it is climbing in popularity too though and no good nicknames.

I live Alexandra very string, pretty, not too popular and great nicknames: Alex, Lexie.

Arabella is pretty.

Layla is very pretty but doesn't fir your three syllables and a nickname remit?

I really like Camilla, very pretty, I wouldn't be put off by associations with the Duchess of Cornwall and Millie is an adorable nickname.

Other suggestions: Adelaide (Addy), Katherine (Kate/Katie/Kathy/Kitty) Eleanor (Ellie), Jessica (Jessie), Rebecca (Becca/Becky, Theresa (Tessa)

Dinnerfor1 Sat 08-Nov-14 19:21:32

I vote Sophia, but that's because it is on my list as well! I don't think it is quite as popular as Amelia.

Dd1 is Emilia. I've always loved the name, and especially that spelling. We do spend a lot of time correcting people when they write it out though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now