Talk

Advanced search

Hettie or Hattie for a girl?

(22 Posts)
mampam Tue 04-Nov-14 13:48:45

DH and I have decided on Eli for a boy.

For a girl DH likes Hettie/Hetty (not sure how it would be spelled).

I like Hattie, I also like Hettie but do you think it sounds like a vacuum cleaner? The pink version of Henry??

CaptainAnkles Tue 04-Nov-14 13:50:36

Is Hattie or Hetty short for something? Like Henrietta or Harriet? I'm not all that keen on Hetty, but it doesn't make me think of vacuum cleaners.

DecaffTastesWeird Tue 04-Nov-14 15:33:19

I wouldn't use them as a full name tbh but that's just me! I like Hattie better than Hettie and I like Harriet better than Henrietta.

bakinggood Tue 04-Nov-14 15:39:55

I like Hattie on it's own or shortened for Harriet.

florascotia Tue 04-Nov-14 15:41:34

I like Harriet and Henrietta, but not Hattie or Hettie. (One sounds like 'Hats', the other makes me thing of a stressed (het-up) person. ) This is just my own taste, and best wishes whatever you choose, but I can't see why so many people shorten such nice full names with (to me) less-nice-sounding abbreviations.

zippyandbungle Tue 04-Nov-14 15:48:27

I love Hattie, but would use Harriet as a full name.

lebkuchenlover Tue 04-Nov-14 16:46:00

Henrietta is beautiful!

But Hatty, Hetty, Hotty aren't imo.

EeekNumber4 Tue 04-Nov-14 20:53:30

I have a Hetty so I obviously love it! Only ever met 1 other, know lots of Hatties and Harriets. Eli is on my list too!

VainVulva Tue 04-Nov-14 20:59:35

I think I prefer Hattie!

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Tue 04-Nov-14 21:16:16

Hattie as a nickname for Harriet.
Hettie just doesn't sound right to me.

EarthDays Tue 04-Nov-14 21:19:47

Love Hettie, doesn't make me think of a Hoover. Really don't like Hattie, Henrietta or Harriet as others have suggested!

mampam Wed 05-Nov-14 09:36:34

Too many mixed opinions.....you guys aren't much help!!! grin

Hattie or Hettie would be a full name as I do not like names that can be shortened to something or a nickname. What is the point of naming a child one thing and then calling it something else?..........my name does exactly this hence why I am against it smile

ConkerTime Wed 05-Nov-14 09:46:44

I love Hettie, I know one and she is a fabulous lady.

NewEraNewMindset Wed 05-Nov-14 09:53:36

If you are insisting on a nickname as a full name then I vote for Hattie.

TurboTheChicken Wed 05-Nov-14 09:58:36

I think Hatty is a fabulous name and absolutely fine on it's own. It was on my girls list but didn't go well with our surname.

I only know one in RL, DS classroom assistant, she's fab.

batfink2605 Wed 05-Nov-14 10:03:23

I have a Hettie. Love the unusual name and didn't shorten it from anything. It's personal choice but my Hettie suits her name and couldn't imagine her being anything else.

Due to job I am in I wanted a name that wasn't one that loads of children had. Nothing worse than having to use a child's surname in a classroom due to them all having same first name in my opinion,.

DecaffTastesWeird Wed 05-Nov-14 11:19:47

In that case OP, I prefer Hattie.

PS: My name does the same as yours and I love it! Different strokes etc etc. smile

mampam Wed 05-Nov-14 14:26:18

Decaff I'm the opposite to you.....I hate my full name.......maybe because I was only called it as a child when I was naughty wink lol.

DecaffTastesWeird Wed 05-Nov-14 15:05:39

Haha yeah I think I got called both nn and full name regardless of naughtiness! If the mns came out I knew I was in trouble though... smile

Belazu84 Wed 05-Nov-14 20:35:07

Hetty!

SurfsUp1 Thu 06-Nov-14 00:57:58

What is the point of naming a child one thing and then calling it something else?
I think it's so that they have a cute nn when they're little/being addressed by someone very familiar and something more age appropriate, formal and sophisticated when they're an adult so they don't sound like a cutsie little girl when they're trying to be taken seriously in a work (or whatever) environment?

Florrieboo Thu 06-Nov-14 05:54:00

I like Hattie and would have liked it for DD, but, DH vetoed it. I would have registered her as Harriet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now