Talk

Advanced search

Annabel? or Anna?

(30 Posts)
gnlight Mon 03-Nov-14 19:48:51

Have been mulling over this for a while... What associations do you have for each name? Any preference?

Can't decide whether Anna might be too plain and Annabel perhaps too frilly?

Help!

GloriousGloria Mon 03-Nov-14 19:53:32

annabel reminds me of annoying girls. No idea why, I must have met an annoying annabel at some point.

I prefer Anna

ColdCottage Mon 03-Nov-14 20:02:30

I love Annabel. She can then decide herself. She might even be a bella.

SophieBarringtonWard Mon 03-Nov-14 20:09:21

Anna. Annabel is too fussy.

verelab Mon 03-Nov-14 20:11:37

As explained on a previous thread,Anna is one of my least favourite names and always sounds really smug and boring to my ears.

I want to emphasise that this is totally irrational! Plenty of other people like the name and I know some nice Annas.

Annabel is ok. I really don't like Annabelle, but Annabel (again for some irrational reason!) seems a lot better than Anna and Annabelle.

MrsBungle Mon 03-Nov-14 20:14:47

I prefer Annabel. I find Anna a bit dull.

BeccadeWinter Mon 03-Nov-14 20:15:26

Personally I like Anna but find Annabel a little twee.

Of course, an Annabel could easily go by Anna if you/she later preferred it or found Annabel a bit too girly.

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Nov-14 20:21:27

Anna is one of my all time favourite names.

Annabel is too twee, fussy and try to hard for my taste.

Bowlersarm Mon 03-Nov-14 20:22:43

Annabel with nn Anna.

Best of both worlds.

BikeRunSki Mon 03-Nov-14 20:22:43

"...too hard..." of course, before anyone points it out for me!

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Nov-14 20:27:30

Annabel.

I find Anna a bit dull.

ashesandfire Mon 03-Nov-14 20:42:08

Anna is classic, sweet and simple.
Annabel is ok but a bit fussy and there are just so many Belles/Bellas out there, yawn.

burgatroyd Mon 03-Nov-14 20:44:24

Anna!

hollie84 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:45:46

I think Anna is strong, classic and quite international.

Annabelle is a bit posh/horsey and there seems to me a million Isabelles, Annabelles, Bellas etc around at the moment. I know a little Annabelle, Isabella, Isobel and Bella in fact but no Annas.

AliMonkey Mon 03-Nov-14 20:50:51

Annabel too posh! Anna is a good solid but still feminine name - and I have never known an Anna I didn't like which helps! Also the advantage of few options to misspell Anna. Definitely prefer Anna.

LadyHamiltonsPussy Mon 03-Nov-14 21:00:03

Anna is dull dull DULL.

gnlight Mon 03-Nov-14 21:26:54

Thanks all. All of your comments resonate with me about each name, which is I guess why I'm on the fence.

Not sure about using 'Annbel with nn Anna' as they feel like two quite different names to me and for my own sanity I think I need to make decision iykwim. : )

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Fletcherl Mon 03-Nov-14 21:32:05

I had a friend at school who was Anna. She had a fantastic unusual middle name and from her teen age years onward she started to use the names together, for example Anna-Mahalia.

Sophronia Mon 03-Nov-14 22:47:56

Definitely Anna, Annabel is a bit posh and horsey as others have said.

HorraceTheOtter Mon 03-Nov-14 22:50:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pandora37 Mon 03-Nov-14 22:53:21

I like both but think I'd be leaning more towards Anna with all the popularity of belle/bella names at the moment.

Riverland Mon 03-Nov-14 22:53:26

Annabel is a bit twee and a bit horsey. Anna is dull.

Soz!

Ye110w Mon 03-Nov-14 22:55:08

Annabel makes a nice change from Isabel. It's simpler than Isabel but I prefer it. Anna is lovely but not quite enough on its own. So I say Annabel.

itsnothingoriginal Tue 04-Nov-14 09:07:40

Anna is just lovely. It doesn't need the 'belle/bel' bit!!

SK28 Tue 04-Nov-14 17:23:16

Have you considered Annie as a nn for either? Our first choice currently is Andrianna, nn Annie. My sense is that most Annabels/Annabelles probably shorten to Bella these days (like Isabelles) - I definitely hear of more Bella's than Ana/Anna/Annies. I actually like both your options though - possibly Anna is a little plain to my ears for a little girl, but it's a lovely adult name and Annie when little is very sweet; Annabel is similarly very flexible in terms of nn and she can choose which version she wants to use at different ages, which I think is a nice thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now