Talk

Advanced search

Where are all the baby victorias??

(47 Posts)
sleepdodger Sun 02-Nov-14 22:39:17

I'm a child of late seventies early eighties and have many peers called Victoria or nn of
It's a classic solid royal name yet in comparison to Alexandra / lexi / Alex or Elizabeth/ Lizzy/ lib etc I don't hear of any babies called Victoria... Is it just here or is it underused and out of favour?
What else fits in thus category?!

thecaroline Sun 02-Nov-14 23:20:39

Hate to be the first reply and be negative, but I'd be happy never to meet another baby Victoria in my lifetime. It seems like such a prissy, uptight... Victorian... name! It's just overstuffed and also kind of tacky, at least here.

DealForTheKids Sun 02-Nov-14 23:25:09

I actually love Victoria (name of a childhood friend and an inspirational teacher) but hate Vicky, which is why I don't think it would make it onto my list as it's one of the most inevitable NNs ever sad

sleepdodger Sun 02-Nov-14 23:31:08

Tbh not my bag anyway but just pondering whilst looking for inspiration on mn!!

Sophronia Mon 03-Nov-14 01:28:12

I like the full name but not Vicky or Tori as nicknames, so I'd never use it.

Wednesbury Mon 03-Nov-14 12:08:01

Ha, this is my name (child of the late 70s) and I hate it! I dislike all the nicknames, and don't much like the name either, it doesn't roll off the tongue like Alexandra or Elizabeth (both much nicer names), it's awkward to say because of the 'ct' sound in the middle. I really do dislike it and have always wished I was called something else! I agree with the poster above, it is far too fussy and formal and I have never found any short form I like and always feel awkward introducing myself.

Feels a bit too late to change it at 37 though!

Plenty of nicer classic/long girls' names I'm sure.

Aprilray Mon 03-Nov-14 13:01:57

This is my name too. I actually like it but it is a bit of a mouthful. I'm not keen on Vicky but even if I introduce myself as Victoria people shorten it to that. I've not heard of any young Victorias but did read somewhere that it is due a comeback in 2015. You never know, if the royal baby is a girl they could go for it.

Twinklestar2 Mon 03-Nov-14 13:04:41

It's the nn Vicky which I think puts a lot of people off.

plumstone Mon 03-Nov-14 13:07:05

Another one here - and very few people ever call me it, been shortened to Vicky, Tori, Vic, and V don't think it can go much shorter. The one thing I have always said is that if I have a DD they will have a short name that cannot be changed, altered, shortened, in any way!

brimfullofasha Mon 03-Nov-14 13:30:01

I know a baby Victoria. Not my favourite name though

WellingtonWomble Mon 03-Nov-14 13:32:36

I know 4 of them, all under 12! None if them is called Vicky though and I think that makes a difference as IMO the other nicknames (Toria, Tor etc) are much nicer

Rosa Mon 03-Nov-14 13:34:16

I have a Victoria she is Victoria, Vicky and other combinations , it suits her perfectly and tacky for me is Sharon , Kevin and anything that sounds if it could be better for a dogs name...

Ye110w Mon 03-Nov-14 13:34:55

I dislike the name. Not just because it's of my generation.
I don't think it will come back until about twenty years after the oldest victorias have finished having children.

MadeInChorley Mon 03-Nov-14 13:37:37

I know one. Birth announcement said "to be known as Torie" just in case anyone was so gauche as to call her something common and ghastly like Vicky wink parentswere----dreadful----snobs

Vicky Pollard and Vicky from Eastenders have devalued the usual shortened version.

BonnieWeeJeannieMcCall Mon 03-Nov-14 13:46:18

I like it. It was on our shortlist as a middle name, as middle names don't get shortened. Plus V is a cool middle initial.

I know one toddler with the middle name Victoria.

(I knew one small Victoria, years ago, whose parents had to come up with the NN "Torie" in a hurry because toddler Victoria pronounced her name Fucktoria; the nn stuck and she was still Torie in her teens.)

Wednesbury Mon 03-Nov-14 14:20:47

I did once know a Victoria who was known as Tor, which I thought was OK, like the Tor at Glastonbury. Also another Victoria was affectionately called Trick by her family, which I liked too. I was never keen on Tory/Tori because of the Tory party association! I suppose there is Ria, too (Carla Lane, Butterflies?).

squoosh Mon 03-Nov-14 15:19:36

Victoria Beckham has embargoed the name. She is worried other Victorias might cheapen her brand.

trikken Mon 03-Nov-14 15:29:18

I'm a Victoria. Love it. Vicki is fine but I usually get Vix, Trixy or Toria. Not V though, that's just lazy. It's nice because Victoria sounds formal on official documents but can have so many softer sounding nicknames attached to it.

bagofsnakes Mon 03-Nov-14 15:34:20

I'm a Victoria and I have to say, the name has really grown on me, or rather I've grown into it. Am Tor or Toria to my family. Really don't like Vicky, and if people ask, I'll tell them that I prefer Victoria. It's a good name, a strong one, one that you have to live up to smile

rachel234 Mon 03-Nov-14 15:37:10

I really like Victoria - pretty, feminine and not that widely used at the moment.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 03-Nov-14 15:44:12

I don't like it at all and would be happy if it was never revived.

It sounds stuffy and uptight and not at all pretty, IMO. Vicky and Vic are hard-sounding, and Tori is a bit tacky.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Nov-14 17:53:51

I have met a fair few Victoria's during my 26 years. I haven't liked a single one. Coincidence obviously but even so. They've all seemed to be a similar kind of person. A type I don't like apparently.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 03-Nov-14 17:54:28

Sorry bag - I'm sure you're lovely! blush

squoosh Mon 03-Nov-14 17:58:30

You've got your suspicions about her, admit it! wink

trikken Mon 03-Nov-14 19:10:22

I'm lovely I'll have you know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now