Talk

Advanced search

Stuck on boys' names- baby due in 1 week!

(16 Posts)
Lottiegirl97 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:19:36

Hi. We don't know if we're having a boy
girl, but it's due next week!

We have a girl's name lined up, but are stuck for boys. We have a shortlist but none are perfect. Would appreciate your thoughts on the following:

Dexter - have never watched the serial killer show but know of it. Is that what springs to mind when you see this name?

Thomas / Tom - safe but boring

Ralph - I like the literal pronunciation rather than Rafe, but how would you expect this name to be pronounced?

Otto - pretentious?

Corin - too feminine?

Thanks!

longestlurkerever Sun 02-Nov-14 08:26:12

I like Corin. I wondered about the feminine aspect myself but I know 2 and both totally pull it off. I quite like otto (we know one) but dh always uses it as the archetypal example of pretentious baby names (sorry! ). I would assume ralph is pronounced as spelled unless informed otherwise. Dexter makes me think of a cartoon scientist that was around when I was young rather than a serial killer but Corin is by far my favourite on your list.

devoncreamtea Sun 02-Nov-14 08:30:43

oooh, eclectic mix there! Personally I LOVE the name Rafe - I have one and can confirm it's brilliance...!! Ralph is often pronounced 'Rafe' but also with the L sound, so you would have to choose which way you preferred and set the precedent. One of the things that attracted me to the Rafe version was it's meaning - it is a scandinavian name and means 'wolf' or 'counsel of wolves' - which appealed to me!

Otto - really great name - love it!

Tom/Thomas - I love the sound of these names and can totally see why they are so consistently used. I don't think safe or boring, more solid and boyish: Tom makes me think of mischievous boys mucking about in streams....
A great contender I think, or an excellent middle.

Dexter - not such a fan personally, but a good sound and not often used - Dex is cool for a nn. Never seen the tv show.

Corin - does have a bit of a softer sound but I don't think it is feminine in feel.

Are you drawn more to any of them OP?

Lunastarfish Sun 02-Nov-14 10:04:27

I love Corin

northernmummeh Sun 02-Nov-14 10:07:37

Me and husband used to love Dexter and it was up there in our list for boys. But then we read One Day and was put off. Lol I know it's only a character in a book but it changed our minds.

Off your list I like Ralph

Fizzyplonk Sun 02-Nov-14 10:13:45

Ralph and Thomas best
Corin sounds feminine to me
Don't like Dexter
Otto is okay

What about Heath, Rowan, Arlo or Caspian

Shockingundercrackers Sun 02-Nov-14 10:18:54

I like Thomas - wish I'd picked that for DS2, but didn't for al, the wrong reasons (the same as yours, all not relevant a year and a bit on).

I really think there's no point trying to be a bit different for the sake of it - there's a reason these solid classic names are used so often!

fattycow Sun 02-Nov-14 10:34:01

I like Thomas, Ralph (pronounced with the L, without sounds weird to me), Otto and Corin. I like the first two best.

fionadal Sun 02-Nov-14 14:21:32

Thomas and Corin are great!

Thomas never strikes me as boring/overused even though there are lots. It's a cool, classic name.

Corin is a nice soft-sounding name. I suppose there's the possibility of it being confused with Corinne (sometimes pronounced the same as Corin) but then that doesn't seem to stop the more popular "Rowans" (another name I like and properly unisex)

Don't like the others I'm afraid, and Dexter is certainly on the rise if that bothers you.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 02-Nov-14 19:56:48

Tom is beautiful. A real manly name that will not give you any problem. It also suits you right through life.
And about Corin what's wrong with a name being too feminine on a girl

Bowlersarm Sun 02-Nov-14 19:59:46

I think Corin sounds feminine. Torin instead? I love Tom but there are so many around.

fancyacupoftea Sun 02-Nov-14 20:24:21

I vote Corin, don't think it's feminine at all.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 02-Nov-14 20:34:22

I love Thomas. Fabulous boys name.

Angelto5 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:45:49

If dd was a boy we picked the name dexter but not because of the tv prog but after the actor dexter fletcher.
My mom was not a fan & was glad we had a dd. she also informed me that a dexter is also a breed of cow!

I also love the name rafe-reminds me of Ben afflecks character in pearl harbour.

CaptainAnkles Sun 02-Nov-14 20:47:58

Thomas or Dexter. Not Ralph (although I like the Rafe pronunciation) because to me it's either slang for vomit, or the nickname of a penis in Forever by Judy Blume.

OublietteBravo Sun 02-Nov-14 20:50:56

I really, really like Ralph, and also like Otto (but not as much). Not really keen on Corin, and I'm afraid I really dislike Dexter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now