Talk

Advanced search

Girls shortish list...need to make a decision, please help!

(42 Posts)
Heatethelastrolo Sat 01-Nov-14 14:52:16

Our baby girl is due in December and we are seriously struggling to settle on a girls name that stands out as "the one". I have posted previously unsure whether I can use of these names because it is my DM's name and had some great feedback on that particular question...but i'd like opinions on these names generally please as I don't want to share with anyone in RL:

Orla
Camille
Madeline/Madalena
Saffron/Sapphira (Saffy)
April
Ariana
Arabella
Ciara

Thank you!

Pandora37 Sat 01-Nov-14 14:59:00

I think they're all nice names actually, although I'm not so keen on Saffy. Arabella sounds similar to all the Isabel/Isabella/Annabel that is popular right now so I'd probably scrap that. And how are you pronouncing Ciara? I'd pronounce it like Kiera but it could cause some problems.

I like April and Camille the best, they're different but names that everyone has heard of.

Irishkez Sat 01-Nov-14 16:33:29

Love your list!

I love Orla and its on my girls list too however I'm living in Scotland at present and its really popular getting. Love it though!

Joint second are Madeline and Saffy!

All lovely though!

MrsPatMustard Sat 01-Nov-14 16:36:19

April and Madeline were both on my list too.

Camille is lovely too.

Hate Arabella...

Castlemilk Sat 01-Nov-14 16:49:10

I can see why you are struggling - you've got quite a wide range of styles that sort of semi-fit the 'unusual, slightly ethereal, feminine but strong' vibe - but none quite capture it.

My favourites would be Orla and Arabella - but neither hit the spot really. The weakest would be April - just not very interesting - and the Saffy names- not to my taste. Pronunciation and spelling possibly an issue with the Mad- names and Ciara, too.

My suggestion would be Oriel.

DramaAlpaca Sat 01-Nov-14 16:49:47

I like your list with the exception of April. Not sure it works for a December baby.

pilates Sat 01-Nov-14 16:54:00

Yes, agree with Drama.

Orla, Madeline and Ariana are my favourites.

CrispyFern Sat 01-Nov-14 16:56:20

Orla is my favourite

CrispyFern Sat 01-Nov-14 16:57:10

Also like Madeline, April, and Camille.

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sat 01-Nov-14 16:57:57

Orla or arabella

ATombWithoutAFoof Sat 01-Nov-14 17:57:40

Orla - not to my taste, too drab and reminiscent of oral
Camille - love love love it
Madeline/Madalena - I love Madeleine, but not Madeline
Saffron/Sapphira (Saffy) - love it
April - not to my taste, a bit middle aged and plump
Ariana - don't like it
Arabella - too horsey
Ciara - don't like it, sorry.

Bellyrub1980 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:11:12

Madeline. The spelling of which is perfectly acceptable and appropriate. (It's the traditional old English spelling... For some reason people always assume its a modern made-up version.)

WittyUsername102 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:12:27

April and Madeline are my favorites.

ashesandfire Sat 01-Nov-14 19:05:18

Absolutely love Camille and Madeleine.
The rest I'm a bit lukewarm about, except Arabella which I really dislike.

Heatethelastrolo Sat 01-Nov-14 19:52:02

Brilliant, thanks for the responses so far! There seem to be a fair few against Arabella and i'm quite glad because although I like it, it is one of DP's top choices and definately not on my top top lost because it is getting quite popular and totally agree pandora it is along the "isabella, anabel etc" lines which isn't my style. I'd pronounce Ciara "Kiera".

Thanks Irish - Madeline and Saffy are two of the personal stand put ones for me.

Thanks castle you've hit the type of name I like exactly - it's not that i'm trying for something too unusual, i'm actually very safe when it comes to boy's names, I just find a lot of the more girly names aren't to my taste. Do you have any other suggestions that you think might hit to spot?

Thanks tomb and im really pleased because the three you like/love are high rankers for me!

Thanks belly im actually not to hung up on spelling pf Madeline, it would be pronounced mad-ill-in whichever way I spelt it.

Looks like some of the ones most people like are my personal favourites!! Just got to convince DP on one of them now/decide myself which one.

Any other suggestions would be more than welcome!

Heatethelastrolo Sat 01-Nov-14 19:54:02

Sorry actually Madeline would be more Mad-a-lin in pronounciation

PamShoo Sat 01-Nov-14 19:56:07

How about...

Ariella - similar to Arabella but erm, a bit softer on the ears I think.

Don't like Arabella, it's hard on the ears. Dislike Saffy.

Rest of the names are lovely smile

Heatethelastrolo Sat 01-Nov-14 19:58:41

Ooh love Ariella and not something i'd thought of, thank you pam !

I think Saffy must be a high contender for me because most people either give a love or hate reaction, but strangely the hates don't put me off. Must be a bit of a marmite name!

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sat 01-Nov-14 20:01:15

Ariella reminds me of areola

Lunastarfish Sat 01-Nov-14 20:15:24

Saffron, April and Arabella are fab

morechildrenplease Sat 01-Nov-14 20:29:16

Camille. Definitely

Sophronia Sat 01-Nov-14 22:27:35

I like Sapphira.

Lewismummy2202 Sat 01-Nov-14 22:29:27

I prefer camille, ciara and April from your list

mathanxiety Sun 02-Nov-14 03:08:25

I like
Saffron and Sapphira but not Saffy [sorry]
and Madeline (but if you want the Mad-a-lin pronunciation you might like to use the French Madeleine spelling, or you will get people calling your baby Mad-a-lyne, as in the children's book character)

mathanxiety Sun 02-Nov-14 03:11:35

Suggestions:
Sofia
Alina
Elisa
Cecelia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now