Talk

Advanced search

"You cant use that its too chavvy" - Is it ?

(88 Posts)
MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 14:26:05

Ok so I don't find out what I'm having until next fortnight & I have chosen both names yet I'm told that the girls name I have chose is too 'Chavvy' & I have to find something else by my 'D'M .

I'd like a none biased opinion so I have come to you lot for help & other name suggestions as I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to find anything at all smile

Sadie Liesel

Ruairi Atticus Norton

It's the girls name that I'm told is too chavvy/ common confused & I still need a second middle name for girl as well .

Also if I like these what else would I like ?

Eternally grateful for any ideas/responses

BforBee Wed 29-Oct-14 14:32:53

They are both great names. Not chavvy in the least, no hyphens or 'yooneek' spellings.

I really like Clementine, Cordelia and Ramona at the moment.

Inkspellme Wed 29-Oct-14 14:36:04

I think both first names are lovely. I also think far more importantly if you and your partner if you have one love the names what your mother thinks is absolutley irrelavent.

florascotia Wed 29-Oct-14 14:44:26

Traditionally, Sadie is short for Sarah, which is a very classic name. Can't see any reason to object to it! Personally, I'd use Sarah with Sadie as a nickname, but you might not want to do that.

Liesel is probably more often spelled without the second 'e' (Liesl), though your spelling is a perfectly OK alternative. And it's short for Elisabeth (German spelling), which is another lovely classic name.

MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 14:44:29

My Dn is called Ramona so can't use that even though it's lovely

My entire family have such obscure names which is kinda why I'm panicking so much as anything that is used a lot just won't work .
I can't think of anybody I know or have known called Sadie (my mum new a bloke called Sadie 20 years ago but that's about it)
smile

MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 14:46:40

I have gone with the Liesel spelling as it flows a lot better with my very German surname , not keen on Sarah at all as just doesn't 'go' at all

Thanks though

momb Wed 29-Oct-14 14:47:21

None of those names are 'chavvy' (though I'm not really sure what that means), however you have a mixed bag of cultural and linguistic aetiologies there: gaelic, latin, angle, spanish, german. Perhaps your DM is confused about what part of your family you are channeling/honouring?

Is it that your DM doesn't like diminutives used as full names? Perhaps if you went for Sarah Elizabeth and then used Sadie Liesel she woudn't mind so much? I'm a bit like this: gave my girls the full names so they can shorten to their own preference when they are older.

socially Wed 29-Oct-14 14:48:09

Sadie is nice, not chavvy at all

babyblabber Wed 29-Oct-14 14:49:24

both lovely names and not chavy at all.

way prefer Rory to Ruairi though

MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 14:50:44

I'm German/Irish & my Dp is Irish hence all the different cultures thrown together .

TheWholeOfTheSpook Wed 29-Oct-14 14:51:59

Is Ruairi pronounced Rory? It seems a very complicated spelling, if so!

TheWholeOfTheSpook Wed 29-Oct-14 14:52:31

Wait, ignore me. I didn't realise it was Irish!

MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 14:55:19

It's pronounced Rooree where as Roary is pronounced Roaree

NeedaDiscoNap Wed 29-Oct-14 14:58:58

Your mum isn't Scottish is she OP? I love the name Sadie but in the west of Scotland it's quite an old-fashioned 'wee old woman' name - and not in the way the popular old lady names like Lily, Violet, Ava etc. are.

I still think it's lovely though smile

Viviennemary Wed 29-Oct-14 15:04:08

Liesel on its own is quite nice. But not Sadie Liesel. And as for that Ruairi Atticus Norton. It's dire.

MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 15:04:28

Nope not Scottish

WowserBooooooooooooser Wed 29-Oct-14 15:31:05

I really like Sadie

moxon Wed 29-Oct-14 15:31:30

Seems fine. hmm

MyPandaisasecretmonster Wed 29-Oct-14 15:34:02

Thanks everyone apart from Viv

cruikshank Wed 29-Oct-14 15:36:05

Agree about the 'west of Scotland' thing. I'm from there, and any Sadies I know are all bingo playing, hard drinking, neighbour badmouthing matriarchs of a certain age who are what many people would deem 'uncouth'. It's probably due a revival though.

scarevola Wed 29-Oct-14 15:39:31

Sadie is Lady Radlett in the Nancy Mitford books. I'd never think of it as 'chavvy'

Medibeagle Wed 29-Oct-14 15:48:16

You might also like Sasha, Soraya or Saskia.

BuckskinnedAstronaut Wed 29-Oct-14 15:50:32

Sadie is fine - consistently top-200 name for a good while now without ever being wildly popular. Ruairi also fine, provided that you are prepared for getting Ruaidhrí, Ruaidrí, Ruairidh, Ruaraidh or Ruaridh instead (and having it pronounced Rory if you're in England) and aren't going to bristle in inchoate rage each time it happens.

badtime Wed 29-Oct-14 15:50:45

I'm from NI and 'Sadie' was always one of the names used to represent a stereotypical gossipy old women (standing, hoiking her chest and nattering to 'Aggie' about the neighbours), so I think it's not just in Scotland.

JassyRadlett Wed 29-Oct-14 15:52:04

Scarevola I was just coming to say that about Aunt Sadie. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now