Talk

Advanced search

Eden?

(40 Posts)
cheesecakemom Tue 28-Oct-14 09:02:11

Recently heard of a little baby boy called Eden! Isn't this a girl's name or does it vary from country to country?

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Tue 28-Oct-14 09:03:05

Ooooo I would have thought a girl

It's lovely for a girl

Not sure about a boy

TheAwfulDaughter Tue 28-Oct-14 09:05:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 28-Oct-14 09:05:21

I only know a boy called Eden, so always think it's a boys name. He's about 14.

IneedAwittierNickname Tue 28-Oct-14 09:06:41

I saw it in a baby name book as a boys name.

bruffin Tue 28-Oct-14 09:07:59

Always heard it for a girl and never liked it. Very tacky and as Theawfuldaughters says too much Toddlers and Tiaras.

MsMittens Tue 28-Oct-14 13:05:14

Our DD's name is Eden. Have never see Toddler & Tiaras but now intrigued wink.

FFIW we get lots of compliments on her name. I think any name can be tacky depending on the circumstances and family etc.

AuntieStella Tue 28-Oct-14 13:12:51

It's a traditional boys name, and one I think is rather lovely.

Using it for a girl was pretty much unheard of until that US soap of the 1980s, and it never full assimilated for girls particularly outside USA (as the soap never made i internationally, and was really occasional daytime broadcast only). Incidentally, same soap was I think the first to use the Spanish girls name Cruz on a boy.

bruffin Tue 28-Oct-14 13:30:07

Eden Wood toddlers and tiaras

FourthMary Tue 28-Oct-14 13:51:38

I know a baby girl and a toddler boy, it seems more feminine to me.

MsMittens Tue 28-Oct-14 13:52:56

Bruffin I think if I had seen that TV show or made that association I may have shared your thoughts! Oh gosh that is pretty vile.

Luckily our DD is a running, jumping climbing trees kind of girl who tends to cry when put in a dress so hopefully we can avoid any odious comparisons!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 28-Oct-14 13:54:10

I know a male and a female Eden. It sounds more male to my ear.

DecaffTastesWeird Tue 28-Oct-14 14:05:16

Oh I definitely would have said girl...

OddBoots Tue 28-Oct-14 14:09:09

It looks like it is a name more often given to girls these days. I might be reading too much into it but I think I would feel uncomfortable naming my child something that means 'a place of pleasure' though.

link

guitarosauras Tue 28-Oct-14 14:09:12

Lots of Edens here in cornwall. Mostly girls.

ShadowKat Tue 28-Oct-14 14:28:21

The only Eden I've met is a man.

Despite this, it feels more feminine to me.

Sophronia Tue 28-Oct-14 15:37:13

The only Eden I know is male, and is about 23/24.

jazzyjenbo Tue 28-Oct-14 16:02:06

My dd is also eden.. I love her name, we get lots of compliments and the midwives when she was born hadn't come across one ( shes 2.5 ). I also know a 22yr old female eden and came across a boy at a friends childs b'day party.
I have heard of eden wood, there is also a footballer called eden.

Ludways Tue 28-Oct-14 16:28:16

Only one I know is a boy of 9, it does sound more feminine though.

northgoingzax Tue 28-Oct-14 17:22:05

Yup reminds me of Toddlers and Tiaras - lovely name - never heard it for a boy though - although there is Edin which I think is Bosnian/Serb

RockinHippy Tue 28-Oct-14 21:51:15

Our DD is an Eden, (before toddlers & Tiara time)

In the UK its more often a girls name, it's an uncommon name though, but out of 5 we know of, 1 is a boy & he has American connections

RockinHippy Tue 28-Oct-14 21:53:37

It means Paradise, Beautiful & Loyal has Hebrew roots, but is more common in some parts of Africa too, but as a girls name

RockinHippy Tue 28-Oct-14 21:56:45

I should add, there's only 4 in our city, at least was up until a few years ago, 1 a boy, ironically the only other same age girl is DDs best friend, they met at nursery & both her nursery & primary schools had never had another DC of that name - she has had 2 little girls named after her though

hoobypickypicky Tue 28-Oct-14 22:01:02

It depends how it's pronounced.

There's Ee-den, the French/Belgian pronunciation Ai-den (as in Eden Hazard) and Ed-den. I only know one, a 17 year old boy. I always associate it with males rather than females and personally prefer the pronunciation Ed-en.

ComradePlexiglass Tue 28-Oct-14 22:03:51

My son has a lovely female friend called Eden. About 15 years old. I quite like it for either gender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now