Talk

Advanced search

Soon to be born first daughter....

(27 Posts)
Wobblealong Mon 27-Oct-14 11:45:14

We are 38 weeks pregnant with our first daughter and struggling to agree on a name. DH has suggested Ottilie, nn Tilly. Any thoughts (be gentle)?
Thanks

Bowlersarm Mon 27-Oct-14 11:53:45

Very nice.

Stokey Mon 27-Oct-14 12:33:27

Ottilie is lovely

There are quite a lot of Tillys out there though (short for Matilda and names on their own), I'd resist shortening if you can.

OfficeNewGirl Mon 27-Oct-14 12:34:43

I hate it sorry

There are lots of much nicer names to choose from

Legionofboom Mon 27-Oct-14 12:36:44

Ottilie is lovely.

I'm not keen Tilly but that is just personal taste rather than anything wrong with the name.

BeauticianNotMagician81 Mon 27-Oct-14 12:39:00

I love it. It's on my girls list but I doubt we will ever have a girl (3ds). It is a very marmite name though so expect some very strong opinions on it. My 3 children all have quite different names and I've had a few comments but I love all their names and don't for one second wish I had named them anything else.

OttilieKnackered Mon 27-Oct-14 12:39:27

Well, I would say so, but it's my favourite name ever. Fell in love with it after reading a Goethe novel.

BiancaDelRio Mon 27-Oct-14 12:40:02

I really dislike both names.

Ottilie sounds like Otter-ly. It loses any prettiness once said without a French accent.

Tilly is far too cutesy and twee.

squoosh Mon 27-Oct-14 13:04:05

I agree that it loses all its charm when said in a non French accent.

MoonHare Mon 27-Oct-14 13:34:28

Tilly is one of the only girls names ending in an 'ee' sound that I like.

Ottilie is not.

Bianca is right, it sounds like Otter-ly. The first time I ever heard someone say it out loud I was very confused. It isn't a particularly common name so throughout her life she will meet many more people who've never heard of it than have and all those who haven't will be thinking..."Otter-ly ?!?"

TempsPerdu Mon 27-Oct-14 13:42:34

Really like Ottilie, but dislike Tilly, which I agree is too cutesy. I taught a (lovely) Ottilie once and she went by Orly, which is much nicer imo.

As Beautician said, it's definitely one of those 'marmite' names that provokes a strong reaction - if you're prepared for this then go for it!

florascotia Wed 29-Oct-14 19:27:48

Very nice so long as it's pronounced OTT-EEL-YA (as in the original - see www.behindthename.com/name/ottilie), not Otter-lee.

Ottilia or Odilia are perhaps even nicer? The older English version was Ottoline.

Really dislike nn Tilly. Just my taste, so absolutely no offence meant. Very best wishes, anyway

FrillSeeker Wed 29-Oct-14 21:03:50

Ottilie is cute, I like it. How about Orla/ith or Odessa?

fishfingerSarnies Wed 29-Oct-14 23:20:25

Love it! My dh said no twat

pookamoo Wed 29-Oct-14 23:22:14

We have one of those. She is gorgeous. Go for it!

She isn't known as Tilly, though. That just didn't happen - I think nicknames find their own way. She's always been Ottie.

However... the number of miss-spellings she's already had in her 3 years so far is immense!

pookamoo Wed 29-Oct-14 23:23:35

PS even my dad said "What, like utterly butterly?!!" when we told him her name over the phone!

Mampire Wed 29-Oct-14 23:23:43

Tilly is ok, if short for Matilda, but Otillie is dreadful sorry.

If a knickerbocker glory had a name, it would be Otillie.

SilverShins Wed 29-Oct-14 23:25:51

I think it's beautiful.

cloggal Wed 29-Oct-14 23:31:01

It's beautiful. But (and it's a real but) I do think it depends on what regional accent you have. Mine KILLS dainty French names. I'm aware of it. They sound wrong. If it sounds nice in your mouth go for it.

pookamoo Wed 29-Oct-14 23:37:09

mampire your comment made me LOL, as my DD is very unlike a knickerbockerglory! grin By which I mean she is not all sweetie sweetness... although being 3 probably accounts for a lot of that!

I was just thinking about it, and I don't think Tilly is a natural nickname for Ottilie, at all. It would need to be pronounced "Oh-tilly" for it to fall into place, surely?

Romilly is nice, also. nn Milly or Romy?

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 29-Oct-14 23:43:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Wobblealong Thu 30-Oct-14 20:28:03

Thanks everyone... I have to admit we came to it via a reverse route - really like Tilly, but have some close friends with a baby called Matilda.

EmilyGilmore Fri 31-Oct-14 08:26:32

Sorry, I think an English accent does it no favours. Also puts me in mind of otters...

longestlurkerever Fri 31-Oct-14 11:03:27

I haven't come across it before but quite like it. Prefer it to Tilly, actually.

GreenKay Sun 02-Nov-14 18:12:08

Not sure where you live- but in South West London there are tons of tiny Ottilies if popularity bothers you. If not- go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now