Talk

Advanced search

Boys name misery!

(24 Posts)
NaiceNickname Sun 26-Oct-14 13:37:50

I am ready to put my head through a wall trying to pick a boys name, me and DH just cannot agree. He has awful taste grin

We don't live in a place that lends itself well to all of these London type names we see floating about, so no Ezra's, Jude's, Arlo's etc.

We like different, but not completely unheard of although DH refuses to call him a name that he knows of someone with hmm

The only name I sort of like so far is Leo. The only name DH likes so far is Coby confused I think he made it up.

Please inspire us! I have honestly looked at every baby name website over 10 times, downloaded every name app I can find... scoured books for inspiration but nothing is sticking hmm

Biscuit for the best suggestions! grin

Letitgoletitgo Sun 26-Oct-14 13:42:54

I like Leo, Coby sounds very American?

How about
Finn
Flynn
Evan
Reuben
Toby
Todd
Theo
Luca(s)
Adam
Joseph
Cohen
Alistair
Morgan

BreeVDKamp Sun 26-Oct-14 13:44:19

Konnie Huq and Charlie Brooker's son is called Coby if I remember rightly.

Grayson????

Will have a think of more suggestions!

Leo is much nicer than Coby (which is, frankly, hideous).

How about:

Scott
Ross
Leon
Owen
Bram
Todd
Toby

Krakken Sun 26-Oct-14 13:45:51

Zak

Lunastarfish Sun 26-Oct-14 15:17:51

Leo is lovely. Other not so common but not crazy names

Joel
Logan
Finley
Jackson

Irishkez Sun 26-Oct-14 15:22:36

Liam
Zach
Owen
Will
Caleb
Keir
George nn Geo
Louis
Russ
Ethan
Niall
Aidan
Joel
Quinn
Brodie
Harris
Louis

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 26-Oct-14 15:23:52

we struggled with girls names so know the feeling!! what about Cody? think it sounds better than coby grin

NaiceNickname Sun 26-Oct-14 15:51:07

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! A few I like in there. I've thrown Brodie out there and that's when DH came back with Coby, and then Cody as a compromise grin

Poor DS, destined to be called 'baby' for the first 6 weeks of his life before we are forced into giving him the same name as DH grin

He doesn't hate Leo he says, so there may be some hope... Funnily enough it's family members who pull a cats arse face when I have mentioned that name. Exactly why no one knew DDs name until she was born hmm

How about Theo? Might be more agreeable to both of you. smile

NaiceNickname Sun 26-Oct-14 15:57:01

I like Theo, but DH has a habit of saying an F sound instead of TH and so it sounds more like Feo confused doomed!

Kantha Sun 26-Oct-14 16:08:27

If your DH is refusing any name of anyone that he has ever known then he is making life very difficult for himself (and you).

Leo is great.
Coby is grim

I would go to the ONS website and print out the top 500 (!) or so boys' names. Give it to your DH and get him to cross out all the ones he knows and see what you are left with. It might help him see that his approach is not helping. It might be worth repeating the exercise independently for you (no conferring) then compare the two lists at the end.

What about names like
Harrison
Lucas
Mason
Which to my ear are a bit surnamey/American like Coby but are IMO nicer wink although not as nice as Leo.

KristinaM Sun 26-Oct-14 16:09:59

It's in cases like this I want to say

" no uterus , no opinion "

bouncingbelle Sun 26-Oct-14 16:10:45

I know a few Coby/Kobey's.

Corey?
Caleb?
Cavan?
Reuben?
Perry?

Lotsofchocolate Sun 26-Oct-14 16:25:06

I think KH and CB's son is Covey. Leo is nice.
Edward, Alexander, James, Alfie are all lovely names - but not very different I suppose! Soloman (Sonny for short) is nice and a little different?

www.babycentre.co.uk/l25008045/20-unusual-boys-names#/6
This list has a lot of diff. names but some are a bit hmm

glittershoes Sun 26-Oct-14 16:28:54

I know a Coby who is actually called Jacob. Maybe a compromise? You call him Jacob with the idea that DH can call him Coby as a nickname and then when he is actually born then you loudly and consistently refer to him a Jake....

baskingseals Sun 26-Oct-14 17:53:51

I think Coby is Australian, surfer dude name.
What about

Louis

Rufus

Toby

Elliot

Patrick

Quitelikely Sun 26-Oct-14 17:59:02

What about Michael OP?

SurfsUp1 Mon 27-Oct-14 08:46:58

Leo is a great name. Coby is a bit bogan.

Marco

Alex

Jake

Rory

BlueChampagne Tue 28-Oct-14 20:15:05

Like the Jacob/Coby suggestion. How about Conrad?

shmuf Fri 31-Oct-14 02:33:55

Where I'm from coby is a nickname for Jacob..
personally I love leo

Riverland Fri 31-Oct-14 02:38:56

It's much easier to know your baby's name once they arrive and you get to know them.

Give yourself a break! I agree, liking boys names in the abstract, can be very tricky.

ScrambledEggAndToast Fri 31-Oct-14 06:43:19

Toby
Jamie
James
Nathan
Luke

GreenKay Sun 02-Nov-14 18:17:24

Grayson
Conrad
Forbes
Harris
Alexander
Lucas
Reuben

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now