Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Thurston

(58 Posts)
Belazu84 Wed 22-Oct-14 13:10:19

New to mumsnet and haven't even conceived yet. But will be TTC soon and I love talking about names. We have the most standard english surname, one syllable, so we need to avoid anything too over-used or boring. For ages my DH has loved the boys name Thurston. It's a real name with lots of history and I do love how strong and unusual it sounds. DH is into music and likes sonic youth (Thurston Moore) but that's not really the main reason- it just gave him the idea... The more I say it the more I think it sounds fab with our surname, and I am (guiltily) tempted by Thor as a nickname! But is Thurston too weird/pretentious? I'd love to hear your opinions...

indefinitearticle Wed 22-Oct-14 13:13:02

Ooh, I love it. grin

Ehhn Wed 22-Oct-14 13:14:48

I only know it as a surname.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 22-Oct-14 13:14:54

Hate it, sorry.

gamerchick Wed 22-Oct-14 13:17:14

I went there with the school. First thing I think of when I see the word.

NaiceNickname Wed 22-Oct-14 13:21:54

Yep ^ Was just about to comment saying it sounds more like a place than a name.

comedaygoday Wed 22-Oct-14 13:34:12

Really not the sort of name I would normally like, but my first thought was Sonic Youth which makes me quite like it.

Sophronia Wed 22-Oct-14 13:35:21

I don't like it much. How about Thorsten or Torsten instead?

UriGeller Wed 22-Oct-14 13:42:30

He's a very well respected musician so I think it's alright. It'd be different if someone was talking about naming a little Justin or Brittney after their DH's idols.

squoosh Wed 22-Oct-14 13:57:28

Thurston Moore is my only association with the name and he's a damn fine musician! I think it will go really well with a bog standard on syllable surname. Boring surnames deserve a first name with a bit of oomph.

Thurston Smith
Thurston Green
Thurston Clarke

Yep.

GiantGraspingCeramicFist Wed 22-Oct-14 13:58:38

Agree with squoosh, go for it!

squoosh Wed 22-Oct-14 13:58:38

Actually I think the Guardian's Zoe Williams has a Thurston too.

squoosh Wed 22-Oct-14 14:05:14

Totally irrelevant but I was sad that Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore split up.

RiverTam Wed 22-Oct-14 14:05:56

Sonic Youth was my first thought. I'm not sure how you get Thor as a nickname, I must say.

It's OK. It does sound more like a place, but I reckon everyone would get used to it pretty quickly, it's not completely out there. I think it sounds a little harsh, though.

PragmaticWench Wed 22-Oct-14 14:22:45

I say go for it, it's a great name. From reading threads on here, it's really rare for couples to both get that feeling about a name, so don't waste a name that you both are drawn to. Perhaps don't tell anyone until a baby is born though, you'll only get comments and opinions from friends/family aren't important.

NickiFury Wed 22-Oct-14 14:45:22

I knew a family with the surname Thurston. They all except for the Mum had identical massive pointy noses. That is what I thought of when I saw your thread title.

moxon Wed 22-Oct-14 15:51:57

It's a good name. It speaks of doing great things. Works very well with an unpretentious surname.

DecaffTastesWeird Wed 22-Oct-14 17:07:29

I don't really like Thurston, but if you both love it then why the heck not? It's a perfectly respectable name.

TBH I can't imagine the nn Thor being yelled across a playground though without a few sniggers from passers by...

squoosh Wed 22-Oct-14 17:09:01

Frankie Boyle has a son called Thor.

Thor Boyle.

Makes me think of someone with a lisp describing the boil on their bum.

DecaffTastesWeird Wed 22-Oct-14 17:16:06

Thor Boyle?! Seriously, he must have done that deliberately...

Tauriel1 Wed 22-Oct-14 17:19:32

It sounds v much like a place near me so was ready to say no. The more I say it though, the more I like it.

cheesecakemom Wed 22-Oct-14 18:02:25

Sounds like a place. Not keen.

evertonmint Wed 22-Oct-14 18:06:25

V cool teenager/adult name but not so much for a baby - more a name to grow into. I think Thor isn't great though, sorry sad

soundsystem Wed 22-Oct-14 18:24:51

Love it!

CitronVert Wed 22-Oct-14 18:28:34

Thurston's was a chain of Greggs like bakeries near me so i think of sausage rolls. In fact I think they were bought out by Greggs. <unhelpful>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: