Talk

Advanced search

Every girl in DD's reception class has a name ending in "a"

(49 Posts)
FamiliesShareGerms Tue 21-Oct-14 19:32:21

Every single one of them. 14 girls from all over the world, and none have names ending in any other sound / letter.

I knew these girls names were popular, I had no idea quite how much!

SoonToBeSix Tue 21-Oct-14 19:33:41

Just realised three of my dd's have names ending in a.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 21-Oct-14 19:35:15

My dd has a name ending in a 'a' is not very popular though

2tired2bewitty Tue 21-Oct-14 19:36:24

Lots of girls name do, or end in an a sound, like Hannah. Our surname begins with an A so we had to try quite hard to avoid them.

thanksamillion Tue 21-Oct-14 19:39:23

In quite a few languages ending a name in 'a' denotes that it is feminine. Eg Nicholas for a boy Nicola for a girl. Could that be the reason or at least a factor?

AccidentallyInLove Tue 21-Oct-14 19:44:23

Both mine end in 'a' grin

elsbethy Tue 21-Oct-14 19:47:39

It's pretty similar at my DD's preschool. Including her name!

StetsonsAreCool Tue 21-Oct-14 19:49:01

Most of the girls in DD's class end in an 'ee' sound, but there is about half a dozen with different sounds; a, et, an, ay. F

GloriousGloria Tue 21-Oct-14 19:53:53

My name ends in A

You could meet at least another 100 people before you come across my name again though.

smile

FrazzledFandangenstein Tue 21-Oct-14 19:58:12

I had a boy but was trying to avoid "a" names as DP's surname ends in "ner" and I didn't want it to be too rhymey.

I don't think of them as a collection of names though. You can get lots of different types of names that are nothing alike that just happen to end in a.

callamia Tue 21-Oct-14 19:58:30

All the girls at my DS's nursery do too. Many are European, and have Italian/Spanish and French names.

It's interesting though. All of my favourite girls names in case DS was a girl ended in 'a'.

moxon Tue 21-Oct-14 20:00:02

Damn vowels. Defiling perfectly good names with their voweliness.

DeadCert Tue 21-Oct-14 20:02:03

Most little girls I know end in an "ee" or "ahh" sound. DD's name ends in a consonant but is a complete marmite name and often gets a very "oh that's.......nice" response.

The names are popular for a reason I suppose!

Pipbin Tue 21-Oct-14 20:26:46

Looking at my nursery class her I have names ending in the following sounds: 'ay', 'ee', 'uh' and 'n'. That is out of 19 girls.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 21-Oct-14 20:29:29

Some of it is due to European names, yes. But I wonder why we've gone from having classes of Louise, Eve and Emily to Louisa, Eva and Emilia - can't just be forrin influence?

Bragadocia Tue 21-Oct-14 20:30:31

As does mine - here and in RL. And my sisters, niece, and mother, grandmother. And my middle name, and my sisters' middle names. My family was brought to you today by the letter 'A'.

OhMyActualDays Tue 21-Oct-14 20:32:41

Last year I had a Y11 class where all but 3- boys and girls- had names ending in ee sound. Weird!

callamia Tue 21-Oct-14 20:32:43

I've just thougt my female colleagues too; the vast majority - over 3/4s are 'a' ending names too. Again, lots of nationalities represented. Mine doesn't - I'm starting to feel left out.

Greythorne Tue 21-Oct-14 20:32:52

Not sure it is a French thing, as most French girls' names I can think of end in 'ie' such as:

Amelie
Sophie
Aurelie
Fanny
Félicie
Sylvie
Orphelie
Camille
Julie

EmilyGilmore Tue 21-Oct-14 20:32:54

So what? There are loads of names ending in "a" so it's hardly a fad! Hell, my own name ends in "a" and I'm in my thirties.

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 21-Oct-14 20:36:19

I know it's not a new thing for girls names to end in "a ", EmilyGilmore (no a there wink). I'd just not come across a whole class worth of them before

AndHarry Tue 21-Oct-14 20:38:10

Like in Chalet Girl?

'Arabella, Henrietta, Isabella, Petronella... Kim.'

balia Tue 21-Oct-14 20:39:35

I remember when DS was in reception 4 of his girl classmates were called;
Tia
Mia
Leigha
&
Kiah

Made me giggle <easily amused>

squeak2392 Wed 22-Oct-14 01:58:50

Wow. I know -a names are popular, but you would have expected a Maisie or Emily or something!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 22-Oct-14 02:03:49

Thats quite odd isnt it grin Id expect a Sophie or a Madison or something thrown in to the mix.

DDs name ends in a hard G. Not many of them to the pound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now