We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boys name last minute HELP!

(23 Posts)
sophiepumpkin Fri 20-Jun-14 18:53:38

Dear Mumsnetters

I am 1 week from due date and still don't have a boys name! I'd really appreciate your opinions/thoughts.

So far we have:

Hugo which I love but my husband thinks is a bit poncey sounding?

Hugh, I like it but wonder if it's a bit run of the mill? People seem to think it's not a baby name?

Oz. This is my husbands middle name which is Hebrew. I've always loved it but am concerned it's a little out there and may be cause for bullying?

Do you have any favourites out of the above or any ideas for other names. I feel like I have heard every name! Thanks in advance

chickydoo Fri 20-Jun-14 18:56:40

Oscar but Oz for short?
Oz is great.
FWIW I love Hugo but not so keen on Hugh. I knew a baby Hugh a few years back, and his mother always called him Hughie....(hmmm)

blueberrycupcake Fri 20-Jun-14 19:01:08

I like Hugo.
I also like Joshua.

mummaduke Fri 20-Jun-14 19:07:35

Lovely as nicknames, Oz for Oscar/Oswald/Orson? Hugh for Hugo...

JennyBlueWren Fri 20-Jun-14 19:15:26

As a nursery teacher I have joked that any child of mine will have an easy to spell/write name and which is phonetic. Oz fits that bill perfectly!

PotatoesPastaAndBread Fri 20-Jun-14 19:17:13

I love the Oscar/Oz idea

ButterflyOfFreedom Fri 20-Jun-14 19:17:15

Not keen on Hugh or Hugo but Oz as a nickname for Oscar is pretty cool!

My favourite names at the moment are Nathan, Leon, Hayden and Christian.

Raskova Fri 20-Jun-14 19:52:10

Love oz. Hugo is from made in Chelsea hmm and Hugh is oldfashioned like Hugh grant.

Pebbles0934 Fri 20-Jun-14 20:25:30

I want Oz!!! My partner says no. It's great!

I don't mind Hugo but Hugh is horrible sorry! Hugh, poo, loo.... Children will taunt.

Pebbles0934 Fri 20-Jun-14 20:26:34

The only thing that puts me off Oz though, is Australia....

Harrin Fri 20-Jun-14 20:35:36

Hugo is lovely

Sidthesausage Fri 20-Jun-14 20:37:49

Amos or austin with nn oz

sophiepumpkin Fri 20-Jun-14 22:09:47

Thanks everyone!

I feel very cheered Oz is popular. My fears about Hugh confirmed!
One more to throw in the mix...Wilf. I really like Wilf but not sure about Wilfred. Could you just have that? Is there another name that can be Wilf?

I'm a fan of Jake but husband not keen. Oh the joys!!

Topsyloulou Fri 20-Jun-14 22:35:14

I love oz. we have friends with an Austin who gets called oz or ozzie.

I love Wilfred so I can have wilf as the nn but dp is not keen & it's not made it to the short list yet.

Love Hugo, can't stand hugh but think that's because of one I know.

Loletta Fri 20-Jun-14 22:41:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alita7 Fri 20-Jun-14 23:36:41

I also think Hugo sounds Poncy, Hugh is bland and I can't stand it.

Oz is a great nickname but I like the idea of Oscar or Austin instead. Also Oswald?

If you like Jake what about Jacob?

BlueStarsAtNight Sat 21-Jun-14 00:23:59

I like both Wilf and Oz, tho would have Wilfred or Oswald/Orson/Oscar.

Only other long name I can think of for Wilf is having something like William Frederick.

singersgirl Sat 21-Jun-14 00:43:35

I know several boys called Hugh and none of them are taunted... I think all those names are fine, though Oz without a longer name sounds a little wizardy. It's strange to say that a name is not a name for a baby. People are babies for a really short time - about a year - and, in most cases, if they're lucky, grown up for at least 40 years.

Anjou Sat 21-Jun-14 03:32:14

Hugo is great! So much nicer than Hugh.

Oz is brilliant. Of the names suggested so far, Oscar is my favourite to have as the 'full' name. Other ideas are Cosmo with nn Oz, or first name beginning with 'O' and a middle name beginning with 'Z'?

Other names you might like;

Rex
Milo
Jonah/Jonas
Leo
Sid
Caleb
Magnus
Arthur
Zachary
Isaac
Ezra

florascotia Sat 21-Jun-14 10:17:37

Hugo or Hugh both fine. I once knew a lovely Hugo - and several very nice men called Hugh.

As people have said before, middle names are rarely used in day-to-day life. Oz or Oscar both good.

If you look at long-lists of recent names for babies, you will find a really wide range www.britishbabynames.com/blog/top-1000-names-in-england-and-wales-2012.html In that context, I doubt whether any of your chosen names would provoke bullying.

Hatetidyingthehouse Sat 21-Jun-14 12:03:11

Like huw or Hugh

sophiepumpkin Sat 21-Jun-14 18:14:51

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling we might just go for Oz...it seems a shame to go for a different name just to justify using it. We know it's a name in its own right and it's DH middle name so may just be brave!! Thanks for all the help

Ozmom Sat 03-Sep-16 23:59:57

Did u go for it? My son is called Oz. He is 5 and loves his unique name :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now