Talk

Advanced search

Scarlett and Violet?

(16 Posts)
littlepeas Wed 02-Apr-14 12:15:51

We have a Scarlett. Violet is a family name on both sides and I really like the sound of them together, but are they too similar? We have a ds inbetween to break it up a bit on Christmas cards!

NigellasDealer Wed 02-Apr-14 12:17:58

maybe yes...i did have to mutter the two names together for a while to get used to it....

squoosh Wed 02-Apr-14 12:24:28

They'd be a bit too similar for me.

NigellasDealer Wed 02-Apr-14 12:25:56

also what would you call them for short?

littlepeas Wed 02-Apr-14 12:26:30

I'm going off the idea already - not keen on Vi and it's bound to happen, isn't it?

mandbaby Wed 02-Apr-14 12:27:40

also what would you call them for short?

We have chosen Scarlett for a girl, and one of the reasons I love the name so much is that it can't be shortened - I can't stand it when people automatically call you by a shortened name and think it's ok.

YoungBodyOldHead Wed 02-Apr-14 12:27:41

They are both names of colours which i dont think goes right.

I do know of a child whos name is Poppy Rose White which i always thought is a bit silly

NigellasDealer Wed 02-Apr-14 12:29:36

of course you can shorten Scarlett confused
Scar? Scarly? Letty?

littlepeas Wed 02-Apr-14 12:31:05

My dd has a nickname that isn't related to Scarlett, but agree it can be shortened!

notso Wed 02-Apr-14 12:36:55

Both lovely names. I would go for it, once they are older they won't be as much association between the names.

mandbaby sorry to say 14 year old DD has two friends called Scarlett, they are both known as Letty at school. I don't think and name is safe from nicknames. My DD's name is a nickname and it still gets shortened.

notso Wed 02-Apr-14 12:38:46

I know a Poppy Rose Green YoungBodyOldHead grin

TattyCatty Wed 02-Apr-14 12:39:39

Beautiful combination - we have a Scarlett and Violet is also a family name for us, but wouldn't work with our surname. It also frustrates me when people automatically ask what the nickname will be - it is possible to go through life with a long name and to only be known by that name. I've certainly managed it for almost 42 years, and yes, it was one of the reasons why we chose the name that we did for DD. You can shorten Scarlett to Scarly and Letty, but it's down to the individual as to whether or not they want to be called it!

mandbaby Wed 02-Apr-14 12:48:55

My point was that Scarlett can't be shorted into a real name. Yes, you can make a shortened version of any word or name, but nobody would automatically call someone "Scarly" when first meeting them, the same way that people often assume that, for example, all Abigails will want to be called Abi, etc.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 02-Apr-14 13:35:57

Too similar IMHO.

FWiw, the Violet I know gets called Violent by other children and some parents although this may have something to do with her boisterous personality!

badtime Wed 02-Apr-14 20:57:15

mandbaby, as other posters have pointed out, Scarlett can be shortened to 'Letty', which is as 'real' hmm a name as any other nickname. It is also used for Letitia, for example.

Chloerose75 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:17:05

Too similar I think. Use violet as a middle name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now