Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of "Severiano";?

(22 Posts)
FirstTimeMom12 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:50:18

Thought we made up our mind in case we have a boy but keep changing my mind sad

Met a little boy names Severiano and I love the name, DH is Spanish and we wanted a Spanish name and it sounds so grand I think and it helps I did not hear it around a lot.

It is long though and believe very unusual in the UK where we live.

How does it sound to others?

Our previous choices we narrowed it down to was either Emilio or Eloy.

AnnieLobeseder Sun 30-Mar-14 14:52:53

If you're planning on raising your son in the UK I would suggest a name that reflects both cultures rather than one which is so strongly Spanish.

I suspect if you call him that he'll always be the "foreign kid".

My DH is from abroad, so we struggled to choose names but eventually picked two for our DDs which work equally well in the UK and his home country.

Nosleeptillbedtime Sun 30-Mar-14 14:53:02

I think if it reflects your baby's cultural heritage it is fine. I like it. I like unusual names.

alwaysneedaholiday Sun 30-Mar-14 14:53:48

It reminds me of Ballesteros, but I don't think that's a bad thing, he was a lovely man!

I think you would need a nn though, as it's so long.

Seb? Sebby?

Nosleeptillbedtime Sun 30-Mar-14 14:54:40

I know a little boy with dual heritage with a Spanish name and he is not seen as the foreign kid at school. And I live in a very white city.

atthestrokeoftwelve Sun 30-Mar-14 15:10:38

Seve? I think it's qiuite a good name. Not so keen on Severiano it sounds like severe or a cruel Harry Potter spell.

mrssmith79 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:11:13

I love it. Pay no attention to the inevitable captain buzzkills that'll come along and try and persuade you otherwise!

nevergoogle Sun 30-Mar-14 15:13:44

I like it. Seve for short.

insancerre Sun 30-Mar-14 15:50:40

I think it is a lovely name

shoobidoo Sun 30-Mar-14 15:50:57

Great name! We know one who goes by Seve. Love Severiano!

OwlCapone Sun 30-Mar-14 15:53:09

I think I prefer your original choices.

I suspect if you call him that he'll always be the "foreign kid".

Not unless you live in a complete cultural backwater.

EyelinerQueen Sun 30-Mar-14 15:57:51

Oh it's gorgeous!!

Use it!

BackforGood Sun 30-Mar-14 16:39:51

I don't generally like names I've not heard before, but I think this is lovely. It reflects his heritage, but isn't too difficult for us English speakers to be able to read when we see it written down. Would no doubt end up being 'Seve' / Sevy'.
Yes, would have to spell it out for people which can be a bit of a pain, but I'm finding that with more and more creative spellings of names you'd think would be obvious anyway.

AnnieLobeseder Sun 30-Mar-14 17:07:14

Not unless you live in a complete cultural backwater.

Well, I do live in a complete cultural backwater! grin

Seriously though, having always been "that foreign kid" my whole life, I wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone else. But that's probably just me projecting.

nooka Sun 30-Mar-14 18:58:25

Not having much exposure to Spanish names, my immediate reaction was 'is that a name?' Obviously it is blush

I don't like the sound of it very much though, it does sound a bit like a Harry Potterish spell (that probably because it sounds a bit similar to Severus Snape I guess) and sever isn't the best association to me. Probably sounds fantastic with a Spanish accent though. I'm assuming being so long that it might have a diminutive which is more 'child friendly'

RalphRecklessCardew Sun 30-Mar-14 20:07:00

It's neat. It might be a bit much if you didn't have a Spanish link, but as things are go for it.

OwlCapone Mon 31-Mar-14 08:19:56

having always been "that foreign kid" my whole life

But, cultural backwaters aside wink, it's just as unusual any more. Both DDs primary and DSs secondary are full of "foreign" kids and it's just ordinary suburbia.

rachel234 Tue 01-Apr-14 09:21:20

Great name!

Our kids' schools are full of kids from different countries and different names are much more accepted today. Makes life much more interesting imo!

quickdowntonson Wed 02-Apr-14 09:59:00

I think its a great name!
The shortened name (Seve, pronounced Se-vee) is great too.

Thewhingingdefective Wed 02-Apr-14 10:11:15

At first glance I thought 'ugh, no!'

Having said it out loud a few times I quite like it! Sev-ee is a nice shortened form.

Hullygully Wed 02-Apr-14 10:11:57

Sounds like a Harry Potter spell

Hullygully Wed 02-Apr-14 10:12:27

Ah, several people said that, apologies for repetition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now