Talk

Advanced search

Magnus

(24 Posts)
kmini Sun 30-Mar-14 09:45:58

Hi,

So I think my DH is coming around to Magnus as a strong potential.

Now my concern is that it's a little too cool a name for us. Most people when they guessed our name choices, have suggested names like Oliver/jack, emily/poppy. In short, we are viewed as safe/traditional/popular type of people. Which in most aspects of life is totally true! So if we choose Magnus will we look like we are trying too hard/be cool????

Also, there are 3 places we will live in our lives. Sw London, North Yorkshire & Australia. Likely reactions to Magnus if you are from one of those places please?

Artandco Sun 30-Mar-14 09:54:50

I like it. It's not in top 100 yet not made up or unknown. I would use it

Foosyerdoos Sun 30-Mar-14 09:58:43

I like it and Gus is a great nn. I live in NE Scotland (not so many hipsters here) and I don't think people would comment adversely.

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 30-Mar-14 10:15:45

I like it but didn't use it as wasn't keen on potential nicknames Gus, Mags

Magnus itself is fab tho.

DrSeuss Sun 30-Mar-14 10:25:30

I really like it but expect a lifetime of "I've started so I'll finish", jokes about chairs and people going, "da da da da DA, DA DA!"

florascotia Sun 30-Mar-14 12:48:26

Just for information - probably won't affect your decision either way. But, as an earlier poster said on another thread that discussed Magnus, in some parts of Scotland it's pronounced 'Man-us'.
Depending on where you live, that could get you the nickname 'Man' - which a son might think pretty cool - or 'Mannie', which doesn't greatly appeal to me personally.

I've met several v. decent adults with nickname 'Gus'. It's sometimes used as a nickname for Angus, as well as Magnus.

Sleepthief Sun 30-Mar-14 13:27:50

12-week-old DS4 is Magnus. We love it (obviously) and it has been given a universal thumbs up among our friends and acquaintances... But then we are exceptionally cool in my head wink

everlong Sun 30-Mar-14 19:36:00

Awesome name.

sonlypuppyfat Sun 30-Mar-14 19:50:38

Last thing I would call it is cool.

RalphRecklessCardew Sun 30-Mar-14 20:03:52

The only caveat I'd have is this: Are you tall people? A 5'7'' man might find going through life with a name that means 'big' a bit wearisome.

kmini Sun 30-Mar-14 21:17:17

Oh dear we are not! DH 5'9...& well there is a reason why my online name is kmini..I might pass on my 5'3 genes!

HRHQueenMe Sun 30-Mar-14 21:42:26

Ds2 is a very cool 4 year old Magnus. It suits him perfectly and we have only had positive comments. Hes the only Magnus at school, and the only Magnus in the village. He rocks!
We have Australian family, they love it. Other side of the family are scandinavian so it works well. Many nordic kings were King Magnus so its a good strong royal name.

HRHQueenMe Sun 30-Mar-14 21:44:33

Meant to say noone has given him any nicknames, except a little boy at school who calls him Magnet.

DaftMaul Sun 30-Mar-14 21:49:15

Great name. I know four Magnuses! One who is at Uni with his best friend from school, who is also Magnus.

JustPassingThru Sun 30-Mar-14 22:03:45

To me, Magnus is one of those timeless names that has been used for people of all ages, it hasn't dated and is not too widely used.

Anjou Sun 30-Mar-14 23:39:50

Brilliant name! I'm in Scotland and know of 2, one is 4 the other 40. Mags is a great nn.

Chloerose75 Sun 30-Mar-14 23:55:01

I like it. Don't think its top weird or out there, wouldn't get an eye roll from me!

HanSolo Mon 31-Mar-14 00:00:36

The Danes pronounce it sort of "Mow-noos" (mow, like cow).
Sounds lovely smile

curiousgeorgie Mon 31-Mar-14 00:06:41

It's a very cool cat in 'when the people are away'... One of my DD's favourite books.

Love it.

curiousgeorgie Mon 31-Mar-14 00:07:08

(An actual cat! Wasn't trying to be hip wink)

Nevertell Mon 31-Mar-14 08:24:24

Magnet!! Brilliant! That's a good nn.

squoosh Mon 31-Mar-14 11:13:54

I love the name Magnus.

I imagine an adult Magnus to be very worldy and suave.

burnsie Tue 01-Apr-14 22:17:17

I think is a great name, but I'm a tad biased as we have a 13 yr old Magnus.
He loves his name too.
Btw it gets shortened to Maggie, which confuses the opposition players no end on the rugby pitch.

WhispersOfWickedness Tue 01-Apr-14 22:26:38

I think it's a great name too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now