Talk

Advanced search

Final short list - girls' names

(37 Posts)
Pippacat85 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:34:16

Not long left and this is our final short (actually quite long!) list!

Please tell me your opinions, surname is one syllable beginning with a D. I love old fashioned, traditional names which have a bit of an edge and not too girly.

Matilda - have loved this since I read the Dahl book as a child but seems to be very popular atm.
Alice - I really like this, dh's fav but is it too girly?
Harriet - love this and think it's a bit less popular than the others?
Cecilia - my grandmother's name.
Kirsten - a bit different and love the way it sounds quite Scandinavian and pretty without being overly so.

What do you think? x

outtheothersidefinally Sat 29-Mar-14 19:38:03

All beautiful! What a lovely, original list!

My favourites are Matilda and Harriet

alwaysneedaholiday Sat 29-Mar-14 19:39:33

I really like all of them (helpful!)

I was at a party today with 2 Alices, but no Matildas! I don't think Alice is too girly, it's not a twee name.

Harriet is nice - do you like nn Hattie?

Cecilia is beautiful and extra-special with the family connection.

Kirsten is my least favourite - just makes me think of ladies in late 30s/early 40s.

CheerfulYank Sat 29-Mar-14 19:40:16

They're all pretty good. smile

I love Matilda but it does seem a bit popular.

Alice is okay. Not my favorite but I wouldn't think anything negative of it.

Harriet is nice! Hattie is a sweet nickname too.

I know an adorable little Cecelia so I like it.

Kirsten is nice but reminds me of Kirstie Alley. And she would always be correcting people who thought it was Kristin.

IsabellaRockerfeller Sat 29-Mar-14 19:46:55

They are all great names, you have excellent taste!

If I had to choose one it would be Cecelia as it is just that bit more unusual and so pretty.

Elllimam Sat 29-Mar-14 19:50:46

I like Alice and Cecilia. Not so keen on Kirsten mainly because I don't like Kirsty and I think it would be an obvious nn xx

Orangeisthenewbanana Sat 29-Mar-14 19:50:52

I like them all. Alice & Matilda are fairly popular but not sure if that's a dealbreaker for you. Harriet would probably be my first choice, but any of them would be lovely

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Mar-14 19:53:16

I like them all. I am not a girly girl and Alice has served me very well as a first name for over 40 years. I have never thought of it as overly girly / it doesn't end on ie/ee/y/a/ia. Or ette.

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Mar-14 19:54:56

Ps I know an awful of u5s and none of them are xled Alice. I think there is only 1 in DS's while First School.

Smartiepants79 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:55:39

For your family I'd say Cecilia. If you like it enough then there's no contest because of the sentimental connection.
Apart from that I like Alice best.

SanityClause Sat 29-Mar-14 20:00:11

Cecilia. Unusual, pretty, and a lovely way to honour a family member and a great Paul Simon song.

Amy106 Sat 29-Mar-14 20:00:11

They are all lovely names, but because your surname has one syllable I would be tempted to go for a multi syllable first name. The only Kirsten I know is a very bubbly, creative theatre designer. Cecelia is very pretty too.

mummybare Sat 29-Mar-14 20:00:54

Love Cecelia - gorgeous!

Pippacat85 Sat 29-Mar-14 20:15:25

Thanks so far guys, all really useful opinions! Am leaning now towards Cecilia because of my grandma and Harriet because I love it but at the moment my favourite changes every day! x

CPtart Sat 29-Mar-14 20:17:24

Harriet is my fave, then Alice.
Dislike the others, particularly Matilda.

Fluffybastardcloudkittens Sat 29-Mar-14 20:20:29

My grandmother was cecelia too - I love it! It is climbing the top 100 lists though so may be less unusual when your little one's grown. I wouldn't let that put you off though, I think naming after family is lovely

justasmallone Sat 29-Mar-14 20:22:48

All nice, like Harriet nn harry

Octopusinabunchofdaffodils Sat 29-Mar-14 20:23:20

Harriet is a great name, and she can enjoy Harriet the spy when she's older. I love Kirsten as well.

Mommypolls8 Sat 29-Mar-14 20:25:14

Cecelia's a beautiful name.

HyvaPaiva Sat 29-Mar-14 20:25:35

Cecilia for sure! It's just beautiful.

Love Harriet and Alice.

Like Cecily better than Cecilia.

RabbitPies Sat 29-Mar-14 21:44:31

My choices would be in order...

Harriet
Cecila
Matilda
Alice
Kirsten

I'm not a fan of Kirsten,but all of the others are beautiful.

maggiethemagpie Sat 29-Mar-14 21:49:02

I prefer Cecilie to Cecilia too

Frontdoorstep Sat 29-Mar-14 21:51:51

They're all nice.

I'm Scottish and I know a few Kirstens but I think it is quite a popular Scottish name. I'm guessing you are not in Scotland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now